Thread: .300 WM or .35 Whelen

Default .300 WM or .35 Whelen

I plan to come to Alaska in a couple of years to hunt. I have both these calibers. The .300 WM is a Rem. 700 BDL. The .35 Whelen is a custom Mauser. I want to hunt moose, bear, and caribou. I would like to float hunt. Which caliber would be the best? I do reload.

Both

For deer, caribou, goats and sheep you'll want the reach of the 300. For moose and bears I'd opt for the 35 whelen.

Though if I had to limit my choice to one it would be the 300 without question, as it's just more versatile.

I'd bring both. You'll be smart to have backup anyway. While either will work for everything, having both along will let you pick the right rifle to match the terrain. I'd put a Leupold VXIII 1.5x5 on the 35 and a 3x9 on the 300. Either will certainly work in close country along river bottoms for example, but there I'd grab the 35 for the day. Heading for the high open hills? Carry the 300 for the day.

If one of them breaks down, you won't be handicapped too badly with the other in either type of terrain.

Default .35 Whelen

Great cartridge and you can make it even better by finding a gunsmith with a .358 Norma reamer . I wouldn't carry any 30 cal. here , .35 caliber is my minimum .

I would opt for the .35 Whelen on a float hunt. I assume you will be taking relatively short shots and then possibly heading in too thick willow etc to recover game. Here a 250 grainer and CRF of the Whelen/Mauser is IMHO superior to any combination of the Remington 300. and a 250 at 2600 is good to 300yds or more if you know what you are doing. That said, the other gents suggestion to “take them both” is solid advice. Good luck!

Default .300 WM, .35 Whelen, 45-70, or .30-06

Let me add that I have a stainless 45-70 Marlin XLR rifle, and another Custom mauser 30-06. I just thought the first two might be better. Thanks for the replys

They don't change my reco's. Experience rather than theory tells me your first two are just fine.

Default WHY Comprimise

Bring both why let falling down a hill or some other normal adversity destroy what could be a great experience. If you are in a party there should be one extra gun anyway. Both are fine choices for their proper application and terrain, and would serve very well in a pinch.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default .35 Whelen

7600, .35 Whelen, 225 Sierra, 9 yards. He fell in his tracks. I think his rack was at least 11" Boone and Crocket. But he filled the winter cache for the winter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

You can bring both is you want, but my vote goes for one of the most popular cartridges in Alaska: the .300WM. You can use a Federal factory load for it, with bullets from 180 to 200 grains. Ammo for it is readily available in Alaska.

Thumbs up Alaska

You are set......unless you are going to hunt the big coastal brown bears I suggest the 338 Win/375Ruger or HH.

The 225 TSX in the 35 Whel.......180 TSX in the 300 Win