Thread: Where to take two kids?

Default Where to take two kids?

I have two kids , 5 and 8, and want to take them out exploring in the woods when it warms up. I have snowshoes for myself and a cargo sled to haul them with me and possibly get them or rent some snowshoes for them. Any ideas on a spot close to Anchorage and is there anywhere that rents snowshoes for little kids?
    Thanks

Dono

Default Snowshoes for kids...

The only place that I have really found on places that I like for snowshoes for kids have been:
    anchorage.craigslist.org
    Actually, it was craigslist in Denver where I found snowshoes for my kidlets.
    If you are willing to spend the $ and you plan on doing more than just one snowshoe for the year, you might want to consider REI and some of their quality snowshoes.
    Now... if you are thinking that you might only want to go snowshoeing once or twice for the season, but don't want to spend too much $ on it, Sams Club actually has snowshoes and they aren't the best quality, but your kids will be growing out of them so quickly that you would have to reinvest in another set of snowshoes. I wouldn't do quality snowshoes for them until they are in their tween years (8-12 years of age).

Where to take them in Anchorage for snowshoeing? That's a different story. Someone else is going to have to help you out on that one. I know of many places here in Fairbanks to take your kids snowshoeing, but I doubt that you want to make the 6 hour trip up here.
    Lurker.

Far North Bicentennial Park would be a good bet. Take Campbell Airstrip Road off of Tudor and drive about a mile. There will be a parking lot on your left with a small bridge that crosses Campbell Creek. There are a ton of trails back in there, but also ample space to just wander through the trees. It's right in the middle of Anchorage and surprisingly peaceful for where it is.

If you'd like to get out of Anchorage, the trails at the Eagle River Nature Center are a nice option. Go to the end of Eagle River Road (11 miles?), park, and enjoy. Parking is $5 for non-members, though.

You could also go down to Girdwood and drive out to the end of Crow Creek road. The road isn't maintained all the way to the trailhead in the winter, but there is enough room for a few cars to park at the end of the maintained portion. We like to snowshoe there in the spring, as you feel like you're in the high alpine even though the terrain can be relatively flat. You can climb, of course, but you can also stay flat. There are ample good sledding options there as well, just in case the kids get bored with snowshoeing.

Brian covered my favorite spots.

One thing I'd add is that with the 5 y/o he'll likely tire quickly with the added weight of the snowshoes and he will likely enjoy it more if you stick on packed trails that don't require snowshoes. The trails Brian mentioned see alot of foot traffic and only require snowshoes after a fresh heavy snowfall. I've only used my snowshoes a couple times in Far North this winter, and don't think you'll need them.

Farth North bicentenial has some neat trails that meander by Campbel Creek, but it is also about the coldest spot in Anchorage and typically 5-10 degrees colder than anywhere else in town.

Another option would be Kincaid park or Earthquake park.

Because childrens cores are so much smaller than adults they get cold quickly, and most childrens winter wear is woefully under insulated for colder temps. So bring some handwarmers to stuff in their mittens and maybe one against there chest. Also a thermos full of hot coco works wonders.

I figured my youngest would get tired thats why I was going to bring a sled and pull her when she did. Thanks for the input so far and all sound good to me.
    Thanks
    Dono

And both of you will enjoy it.
    I'm a sled addict too when I was a bit younger.

Default Kincaid Park...

[quote=Paul H;208645]

Another option would be Kincaid park or Earthquake park.

quote]

Be aware that most of the trails in Kincaid are ski-only, meaning that snowshoeing, walking, dogs, etc... are not allowed. There are multi-use trails there, but be sure to check a map or at the front desk of the chalet before just heading out. The wide, groomed trails are all ski-only except for the coastal trail and the bike path paralleling Raspberry Road (the road entering Kincaid Park).

Another good spot not mentioned yet would be Glen Alps. Just head up Upper Huffman road, take a right at the end where it splits and follow that to the State Park traihead.

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the help. I'll probably take them to bicentennial because it is really close to me and the glen alps sounds like a great spot too.
    Thanks
    Dono

Default One other note...

Quote Originally Posted by Dono View Post
    Thanks for all the help. I'll probably take them to bicentennial because it is really close to me and the glen alps sounds like a great spot too.
    Thanks
    Dono
    One other thing to mention that I forgot... Glen Alps will require either a State Parks Parking pass or a $5 day-use parking fee.