Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to carry Marlin 1895GG on your ATV?

Question Best way to carry Marlin 1895GG on your ATV?

I have a Marlin 1895GG and a new Yamaha Grizzly ATV and wanted to know what's the best way to carry it so it's available and yet tied down and won't get all beat up? What's your take....Silver Tip
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no other place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth." ...Ronald Reagan.....please never forget this!!!

Default ATV

Have you looked at the Kolpin rear rack mounts and gun boots set up? I have the 07 YMF 450 Griz and a aftermarket rear rack extention and it's mated the atv bracket. It was originally for a 03 YMF 400 Kodiak and it fit perfectly on the new machine. If you type in ATV Gun Boot Accessories in the Google as search a plethora of businesses with products and prices will appear.

Rufus is right. My Kodiak 450 has the same set up. The gun is right there, mounted rigidly and protected.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Kolpin Gun Boots in my opinion, suck for most applications and riding scenarios and are one of the most dangerous accessory other than a “thumb saver” throttle extension that you can add to an ATV. They are noisy, and in the way no matter how you try to place them. If you manage to find a spot where it wont interfere with you getting on and off the ATV then it sticks up too high and gets hung up on low hanging alders. If you place it so it doesn’t stick up too high, then it ends up being placed in a position that is likely to entrap you if your ATV rolls the wrong way. If you think I am wrong……….well go ahead and buy one, but God forbid, if you are un-lucky and it “gets you” in an unexpected roll over, give me a call so I can come over and write “I told you so” on your cast. They are ridiculously slow for accessing your rifle and would be utterly useless in a defensive situation. All that said, and yes I do own one and have a mount on my ATV and Snowmachine, they offer the most protection for your rifle. So, I should re-phrase my initial statement and say, for an expensive scoped rifle they are the only way to go, so long as you understand the possible safety issues. For a quick action defensive or “go to” gun they are the worst possible choice. Just be aware that if you have it mounted and your machine tips or rolls, it can, and does seriously restrict your ability to jump free of the machine and avoid getting smashed. I have seen it happen three times and it aint pretty. The fin-grip pro rifle holders are the best way to go for my hunting and riding style. I have the dual set-up mounted all both of our ATV’s. two cross ways on the front for rifles and a small shotgun and one cross ways on the back behind the bags for holding an axe. They come with rubber tie-downs for securing the rifle or what ever, but I never use them. I have never had the rifle bounce loose or anything like that. The up-side is that your rifle (provided it is a carbine with OAL less than about 54 in) will be within arms reach and secure at all times. It will have no effect on the operation of the ATV and will not entrap you in an accident or roll over. The down-side is that long guns can extend past the fenders of your ATV leaving them vulnerable to damage from trees etc. Also your gun will be totally exposed to the elements, dirt, mud, snow etc. So it is not really conducive to scoped guns. As I said, I have both systems and each has its place. I have photos of all the above and will be happy to e-mail to you if you send me a PM
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Ok............so I am an idiot. just click on my "avitar" thing and you can see the guide gun mounted in the fin-grip-pro on the front and in my signature picture thingy you can see the Kolpin mount on the left side of the ATV just to the right of my boy.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Default same gun/atv...

I looked for the same solution to carrying the same gun on my 2006 Grizzly. I used the below and it worked great.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...149&hasJS=true
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

With my 45-70 I just sling it across my back on my ATV or snowmobile. For my scoped 30-06 it rides in the gun boot on the ATV and slung across my back on the snowmobile.

Hey Guys,
    I rolled my atv once with my prized three hunskie on it.(300 win mag)
    I had the Kolpin with the metal bracket that attaches to the rack.
    After things came to a stop, I was pleased to see the rifle was still in good condition but the bracket was bent all to heck.
    They are a pain to access, and sometimes you get hung up on them, but it seems to be the best method yet for me.
    JessMan

Not with a Quake Industries sling. They have not responded to my emails.

Hi Bustedknee. Nice picture, but I don’t know what your complaining about……..a little bit of glue and she will be good as new!

So what is the story behind that sad little display? Looks like it got run-over…………a couple of times. Was the action / barrel ok or did it get damaged as well?

The “best” one I saw was a brand new Weatherby composite job in 300WBY Mag that a guy had loaned to his buddy for a moose hunt. The buddy put it in a nice padded case and strapped it cross-ways across the back of a Honda Rancher with a bunch of tie-downs and bungee cords. All was well until he got to the narrow section of the trail thru the trees………………he claimed that when the barrel hit one of the trees it actually stopped the ATV. The end result was a barrel bent in a nice smooth radius that was pointed nearly 45 degrees to the action. The stock was busted in three places and the scope was dented. Last time I saw it, it was pretty much just an action and trigger group sitting on my gunsmith buddies bench…………still waiting for the guy that borrowed it to cough up enough money to make it right again.

So I guess you could say that a properly installed Kolpin Gun Boot would have saved the day on that one.

Another incident that I witnessed (with a happy ending) was when my friend got his Brute Force 750 sideways on a steep hill covered in wet grass. He was fortunately able to jump off the “low side” without getting caught up on his gun boot and scramble out of the way of the rolling ATV…………..by mere inches. He did suffer a sprained and swollen ankle that cut our ride short, but made a complete recovery in a week or so. He had a Remington 700 in 17rem with a composite stock and nice scope tucked away in the gun boot and it did not get damaged at all. The upper portion of the gun boot did split length wise down the seam and fell off during the roll over, but the rifle remained inside the boot.

Default I prefer gun boots

We had someone accompany us on a hunt with the handlebar mount.
    It seemed like his gun was always pointing at somebody.
    They're not for me.

Just my experience.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Hmmmm

A lotta you guys use meat trailers, don't you?

Why not carry your rifle back there?

From the MUDDY 4 wheelers I've seen, I'd guess that if you don't have them in something like a Kolpin, they're very likely to get muddy as well. I seen a guy with an unprotected bow on the front of his, and it sure was, arrows and all.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

375AIJGS has a point about the cross-mount systems, in that the muzzle is always pointed to the side of the ATV and in my case at least, as I am right handed I have the muzzle pointing to the left. Obviously that means when you meet someone on the trail and stop for a chat or whatever the muzzle will often be pointing directly at them. This unfortunate aspect of carrying a rifle, shotgun or whatever cross ways on the ATV gives me the “willies” to such an extent that I only carry my rifles with an empty chamber. Naturally this only relieves MY anxiety and does nothing for the individual that ends up staring down the tube on my guide gun. In-fact the only time I carry with a round in the chamber is when walking. I don’t even have a round chambered in the guns I carry in the gun boot. There is just too much bouncing around going on there to make me comfortable with it. Frequently, if I encounter strangers or Non-hunters on the trails and stop to chat, I will reach over the bars and flip the rifle around so that it is pointing away from the folks I am chatting with. Failing that, I will pull far enough forward that the barrel points behind the other ATV.

As always Smitty of the North has an excellent point about the mud and gunk that can and does get on my rifle. I have mine mounted on the front as I mentioned earlier. And mud is generally not a big problem. Dust however can accumulate in rather heavy deposits around the action or any place that has a film of lube. The thing about meat trailers, at least in my case is that they are generally not suspended nearly as well (or at all) as an ATV, and tend to have higher center of gravity. That means, in my case at least, that you are nearly guaranteed to have your meet trailer flip over at least once on any given hunting trip.

All these things considered, for quick access to an iron sighted guide gun, I still think the best way is cross ways with the fin grip pro system.

I have a rear cargo box on the back of my Foreman and all my rifles fit inside it. I made a custom cut foam insert for it so the rifle sits inside it without bouncing around. Works pretty dang good if you ask me. I've rode with fellers that use those handle bar/rack mounted mounted gun racks and they always end up with muddy rifles, thats why I don't use'em. I want to be cleaning crud off my rifle when I need to be shootin it.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    Hi Bustedknee. Nice picture, but I don’t know what your complaining about……..a little bit of glue and she will be good as new!

So what is the story behind that sad little display? Looks like it got run-over…………a couple of times. Was the action / barrel ok or did it get damaged as well?
    I was going to go a couple miles down a trail and hunt. I had taken the gun rack off the 4-wheeler for snow plowing and never put it back on so I went into my box of hunting stuff for a sling.

I found this one. A Quake Industries. It was brand new. I don't remember buying it so I suppose it was a gift.

I put it on the rifle and away I went. I made it about 100 yards when the hokie little plastic "connector" near the forend let go and my Marlin launched off the back of the wheeler. I'm not sure if it went straight down or did a 180 off the rear rack. Apparently the side of the buttstock struck the ground, snapping it in the wrist area.

To say I was angry is an under statement. I would like to extend an invitation to the owner/CEO of Quake Industries to go fishing with me.

I bought a new butt stock from MidwayUSA that almost matches the forend. And the gun functions flawlessly, just a little muddy.

How well do the guide guns fit in the Kolpin Gun Boots?

I bought an outfitting business in Northern Saskatchewan last year and I'm going to be in the bush for a 6 week stretch. I need something I can leave on my 4-wheeler (protected from the elements) that I can have easy access to. I want to have it stored side-ways so that my clients and I can get on and off easily.

I have a Winchester Model 94 Timber in .450 Marlin that is almost the same size as a guide gun (it's even a hair smaller if you can believe it!) and I'm worried about the Gun Boot "swallowing" my little 34" (or so) rifle to the point where I can't get it back very easily. Also, I have a side-by-side 12ga w/ 20" barrels that I've had iron sights put on so that I can shoot slugs, that I like to carry on my atv as well. It's about the same size as a Marlin Guide Gun.

I know I could always fill the bottom of the boot with Tuff Stuff sprayfoam or something, but then I still have an excessively long case with mounting and confinement problems as listed above.

Doesn't anybody make a short, end-loading hard case designed for smaller guns?

Default Kolpin Questions

I have a 45-70, I rolled my machine also, broke the stock, but no damage to the rifle thank God, also I use a soft t-shirt around the barrel then slide it in, It really keeps it snug no chaffing or scaring , also my case has the fur lining, I've noticed most have the sleeve. Hope this helps.

Deathray, I can e-mail you some good photo's of the GG in the gun boot and also the fin grip pro if you send me a PM with your e-mail address.

Default My GG's butt

plate is even with the end of the main tube on the Kolpin. I am considering either shortening the tube so it doesn't stick as far in to "my space" or cutting down the cover so it doesn't stick up as high. I figure either way it will be easier to "un-bike" myself if I need to. Right now I just leave the cover at home or in the truck.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast