Thread: Sealing reloads to prevent wet powder

Default Sealing reloads to prevent wet powder

I just got a new .44 and have been working towards some reloads for it for bear protection. I am confident in the reliability of the loads under normal circumstances but carrying it around the river, in the rain etc I have heard ammo can get wet (especially when you fall in) and that reloads are particularly prone to this problem.

Does anyone have a way of "sealing" the rounds better so that a brief dunk will be less likely to give me wet powder?

Does anyone have a differing opinion about how easily powder can get wet in this situation?

Thanks!
    River Runnin

Try this: fill a bucket with water and toss in a few rounds. Let it sit overnight. Take them out, shake them off, and shoot them. I'll bet they all go boom.

I seriously wouldn't worry about it too much, but if it makes you feel better, there are a couple different primer sealers on the market. They don't cost much and come in a bottle resembling nail polish. A small amount around the edge of each primer will ensure a complete seal there. It is a time consuming process though. As for the bullet end, that is about as waterproof of a connection between two objects as you'll ever find.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Joat is right. The days of wet powder is long over IF you use quality reloading gear. There is so little tolerences that no water or moisture can get past the bullets or primer.

With that said, I know a number of very experienced reloaders that hunt Kodiak and the southeast regularly. They seal the primer with a swipe of clear nail polish and swear by it. I don't, and have done and been most places they have with my reloads. I put them in the gun and they shoot every time.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

I always use the same stuff the factory uses for sealing ammo.......Nothing.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Murphy:
    Doesn't SOME of the Factory Loads have primer sealer?

I'm looking at a box of once fired 44 Mag. cases, and there is some kind of red stuff around the primers, that looks like primer sealer. The brass is PMC.

I'm sure I've seen this on other brass, as sometime this is how I tell for sure, that brass I buy at a Gun Show, for example, is once fired.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Yep, some factory stuff has sealer around the primers... the red stuff. You usually only see this on military ammo.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Red nail polish