Thread: Loomis 7wt. switch rod, any line suggestions?

Default Loomis 7wt. switch rod, any line suggestions?

I bought a loomis native run 7 wt. 11' single handed spey and have been working on finding a line for it. I am thinking about going with a Rio 350 grain as I've heard they work well on similar rods but I can't find anyone who has cast this particular rod. I am mostly looking to use it for skagit style and the occasional overhead. Figuring on large leach and sculpin patterns for deep pools and big rainbos, maybe a silver if I get ambitious. Any suggestions about lines? Anyone cast this rod?
    River Runnin

Default No....

Can't help you man. Just wanted to congratulate you on the rod. I have wanted one of the Native Runs since I first saw them. I have heard they are awesome rods. You may need to check out some spey specific sites/forums for good info on this one.

http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/index.php
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Talking proper line weight

The Loomis site advises you to use a 400 grain Skagit. This rod is set for this short, heavy head. It will lift a T-14 sink tip and a good size, 2 fly and roll it over. I use a 450 on my Loomis 11' switch in 8wt. Do not go less than 400. If you feel that you need less, than you can cut off 2-3' and lessen the weight that way if you wish, but I think that you will find it just right.

You are going to love this rod. My travels with me. In a couple weeks Northwest Washington. Even in the spring to New England for some striper action. I'll be here in late March though throwing it I'm sure.

Go to the Loomis site. Go to a spey site and ask people that have these also. You will find that MANY people have this rod. You will confirm the Loomis info, and my suggestion.

Throw a mile, fill the freezer.

Alaska Fisher

AK Fisher, what line specifically are you using?
    River Runnin

Default line specifications

Rio Skagit 450 grain for my 8wt.

You go get a 400 grain for your 7wt.

It's 130' long so make sure you load the backing right on your reel. Get yourself a wallet full of sink-tips and you're ready to go.

Tight lines.

AK Fisher, are you using a strictly two handed skagit technique or are you mixing your casts? Can you do single handed or over head with that line?
    River Runnin