Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moose, Sheep, or Caribou for '08?

Default Moose, Sheep, or Caribou for '08?

What hunt would you do if you had to choose?

Please help a new Alaska resident (recently returned to AK from college in lower 48) decide on a good hunt for fall '08.

Budget: $2000 on a fly out trip, OR $5000 on the purchase of a vehicle (probably a raft) to do hunt.

Other details: Unguided, probably 2-3 guys, 10-14 days. Rifle or muzzleloader only.

I'm just looking for the highest probability of success on a fair-chase unguided hunt.

Please PM me if you've got ideas you don't want to share with the masses.

Thanks.

Your highest probability of success is almost certainly caribou. My favorite to hunt is sheep, but there you have the issue of having to find a legal ram. With caribou you usually will see far more animals and all of them are technically legal (unless in a bull only area - but still, lots of them are legal). With moose you're also usually limited as to which animals are legal, and it can not be overstated how difficult it can be to deal with a moose and care for the meat once one is down.

If you'd like a good chance of all 3 guys harvesting an animal, caribou is the ticket.

By the way, is the $2000 fly-out budget per person, or total among the three of you?

$2000 per person fly out budget.

Hey did you go to Chugiak? (Class of 05 here)

Caribou is gonna be your highest probability of success, some transporters even claim 100% success rate for them. Black bear is also a pretty good bet I've sure seen a lot of black bears anyway, not many I'd want to eat though. Good luck
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Fly-out

Spend the $2000, and hunt the crown jewel! (sheep) I know successs is tough but you'll be remote in a place you could experience a great adventure.....what a graduation gift for yourself

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Spend the $2000, and hunt the crown jewel! (sheep) I know successs is tough but you'll be remote in a place you could experience a great adventure.....what a graduation gift for yourself
    WACH float trip

I would buy a Soar Magnum with Oar Saddles and go after moose. 10 days with a couple of your best friends on a remote river chasing ole bullwinkle is a great way to ease back into the Alaskan life style.

Although a float trip for moose would be a great way to ease back in, I'm not too sure of the "ease" part. The highest probablility for all of you to be successful is as Brian stated, caribou. You can do a little research about which herd to hunt and where to fly out from.It'll be a great hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Your highest probability of success is almost certainly caribou. My favorite to hunt is sheep, but there you have the issue of having to find a legal ram. With caribou you usually will see far more animals and all of them are technically legal (unless in a bull only area - but still, lots of them are legal). With moose you're also usually limited as to which animals are legal, and it can not be overstated how difficult it can be to deal with a moose and care for the meat once one is down.

If you'd like a good chance of all 3 guys harvesting an animal, caribou is the ticket.
    I agree with everything that Brian has already said. Also, I think that it's difficult for someone else to determine what hunt you should go on. For me there is nothing better than being in the high country. If I get a sheep great, if not I just spent a memorable trip in some of the most beautiful country I have ever seen. My first Alaska hunt was a fly out for Caribou and I am glad I started where I did. The logistics of this hunt and wanting to get my first Alaskan big game animal made this a great choice.

i would recommend sinking the money into a good raft and do a fly-in drop-off float hunt for the species you decide to pursue. if you decide to do that you had better reserve a flight asap, then worry about gathering the necessary gear.

Default PM Sent

Zeb check your email I provided you with an option that might fit your needs concerning pricing for Bou with some fishing tossed in.

Best of luck in your choices!

Hunt hard and have Fun!

Blue Moose

Powder Monkey: Colony Class of 96. Name's not even Zeb - Zeb is just a character I like from an old Western Movie!

Thanks for the ideas everyone.

I'm just going to have to wait and see on the purchase of a raft. I want to buy an Aire Leopard (18' cataraft), 15' NRS Otter, or buy two Aire Travelers & frame to have a CataCanoe setup. Unfortunately, right now I can't buy anything because I'm saving every penny for a house and I just bought a 46" 1080P LCD TV.

What do you all think about a fly out to hunt with Rusts?

I like the idea of one bush plane flight, right out of Anchorage since I live in Eagle River. Their prices don't seem too bad either ($1700 for Caribou and $2300 for a moose/ caribou combo - R/T with the meat & antlers).

My best friend's father and his father's friend both have 185s on floats, and I'm welcome to tag along with them come hunting season, but they're both 60 years old and haven't decided if they want to do a fly out trip or "hunt" from the comfort of their RVs on 4wheelers.

I don't want to hunt on 4wheelers with crowds of other people, I know that much!

What other air-taxis that leave from anywhere on the road system have a good reputation for dropping clients off where animals are and people aren't?

-Zeb

I'd get a raft instead of a flyout, a flyout trip lasts a few weeks a raft can last many many years.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default TrailRidge/Natron/High Adventure Air

TrailRidge Air flys off of lake hood in Anch. There rates seem affordable $1300-1850 for a drop (higher price for a mid-hunt check). I've never used them but have flown with them when I worked for a guide. A guy on here with the screen name BillS (he has responded in this thread) has used them for drop offs and has said good things about them.

Natron Air in Soldotna seems to do affordable hunts too. I haven't used them and don't know of their success rates but most comments seem to be favorable toward them. I would like to use them for a Montague Island deer hunt some day. High Adventure Air flys out of Soldotna too.

There was a recent thread about Rusts, try and do a search.

Tim

What other air-taxis that leave from anywhere on the road system have a good reputation for dropping clients off where animals are and people aren't?

Trail Ridge Air Service on Lake Hood. I've used them for the last five years for caribou and my freezer isn't empty. 907 248-0838 I'm taking my daughter on her second caribou hunt and have already booked with them. TC and I responded at the same time. PM me if you want ony more info.

zeb - Take a look at this thread by stid2677. He flew with 40 Mile Air out of Tok and did really well on caribou and bear. That might be a great option for you. It's on the road system, but you'd probably have a better hunt than flying out of Anchorage.

Personaly, if you intend to stay in the atate I'd say invest your money in a raft or boat. That's long term hunting transportation
    If your vriends do a fly out in the 185s you'll get that as a cheap bonus (and with a little gentle "Tell me ths story of when..." type encouragement that will probably happen this year!).
    By the way, I'd go for moose.
    I put in for 3 sheep & 3 goat tags this year, but at heart I'm a moose guy.
    Get the new SOAR Magnum or maybe you & a friend both get Pro Pioneers.
    My goals now are to make my future hunting trips more successful & versatile & the best way to do that is long term investment (& I don't mean stocks).
    Of course it's also good to get s friend in the states to come up & buy a boat they use 10 days a year while you baby sit it the rest of the time.
    The best boat to have is always someone elses
    All my boat time will cost me is fuel, & that's plenty!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Thanks guys. I sent 40 Mile Air and Trail Ridge Air emails to see what hunt options they have left.

Either one sounds like they'll give me a pretty good chance at harvesting a moose and/or caribou and both seem pretty affordable.

I think I'm going to book a flight ASAP, and worry about the raft after I buy a house. Maybe I'll get a SOAR Pro P this year to use on the fly-out trip and buy a bigger raft (Aire Leopard) for next year.

Well, 40 Mile Air is all booked up for '08 and Trail Ridge wrote me this:

[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']"We are not offering per person packages anymore. What we are doing is charging a base rate of 8 hours @ $525.00 per hour that covers getting on Beaver to/from the field. Any extra flying above the 8 hours is billed @ $525.00 per hour."[/FONT]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast