Thread: 1911 build frame questions

Default 1911 build frame questions

Does anyone here know if you order a standard 1911 frame can you fit 10mm stuff on it? Seems to me the only difference would be for magazine fit. Im looking through the brownells catalog and they dont specify frames being for 45, 40, 10 ect, but they do specify slides for those calibers.

found out the answer. Any singlestack frame will work. All the differences are in the upper end except the ejector.

oh man the internet advice is getting thick. Now some are saying the feed ramp needs to be modified from 45 acp. I will contact industry pros to try to get a real answer.

Matt,
    it's OK to talk to yourself, if no one sees you!

Haha, Yeah I thought no one was listening..
    Saw that a few people were poking there nose into this thread. Figured they must be curious so thought Id answer it.

My thought on this is, go get a book by Jerry Kuhnhausen called The Colt .45 Automatic -A shop manual. There are others I imagine but I use this one. If you are going to build a 1911 you need this or you may end up with a rattle trap of mistakes. I have had a lot of .45's and didn't understand them (Oh ya like Bang Bang I did) There is enginearing going on in there that you must know. It's easy to destroy a good frame or slide. I do hope you get a good build. Try your Library for study info. pardon spelling please

Matt, keep us updated on your project and post pics if you can of the build/finished project!!

Yeah Ill keep everyone posted. Maybe Ill just do a big write up at the end. I got the parts on order. Well some anyway.

Frame, slide and barrel. Gotta do some tool up. Then fit those parts together. Then decide what all else I want.

Trying to build a 6 inch Longslide 1911. Fancy and bling will be omitted for the most part. Im going for durability and accuracy.

I used Caspian frames and slide for the longslides I did. I used Nowlin barrels, which I have been very happy with. The only thing I would do differently is the guide rod. I went with full length, if/when I do it again, I'll probably go with the traditional spring setup.
    All in all, it was a fun project.