Thread: Petersburg info

Default Petersburg info

Found this forum, lurked for a few hours reading lots of great info. Thought I would ask for your .02
    Planning 1st trip to AK. First 10 days of Aug. 2008, Our goal is fishing and exploring.
    Our plan is out of Petersburg, NFS Cabins, renting boats from Mr. Doyle( I see Mr. Doyle posts here!).... a few days at Breiland Cabin in Duncan Canal, castle is. area....then back by P'burg to re-beer and gas, and up to West Point Cabin at the mouth of Portage Bay. We will be fishing, not for trophy or filling our freezers but something to eat while we are there and would like to find variety.
    On Duncan Canal.....I have looked at charts which show deep areas in canal from 150' to 200'. Is there fishing for Chickens in the Canal, (Beecher Pass area or middle deep canal) or should we go south into the sraights around Level Is. or deeper??
    Coho In? will they be schooling up in the area at this time? How To find them? In SoCal, fish will be feeding and pushing the baitfish to the surface, and the birds will be on it from the top. How can I spot feeding salmon schools in AK? Are there any creeks, streams that would be worth hiking up around Duncan Canal or Portage Bay, to find trout, greyling, char etc.??
    At Portage Bay, I would quess the outer mouth of the bay would be a good spot for for butts,? I see 1/2 mile creek to the East and Big Creek? to the west, are they worth fishing for trout? others?
    Anyway, lots of questions and any comments or replys on how to locate fish in these areas is appreciated. thanks jim

no grayling in SE...

There should be dollies and cutts in every stream behind the chums gorging
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimboliya View Post
    Found this forum, lurked for a few hours reading lots of great info. Thought I would ask for your .02
    Planning 1st trip to AK. First 10 days of Aug. 2008, Our goal is fishing and exploring.
    Our plan is out of Petersburg, NFS Cabins, renting boats from Mr. Doyle( I see Mr. Doyle posts here!).... a few days at Breiland Cabin in Duncan Canal, castle is. area....then back by P'burg to re-beer and gas, and up to West Point Cabin at the mouth of Portage Bay. We will be fishing, not for trophy or filling our freezers but something to eat while we are there and would like to find variety.
    On Duncan Canal.....I have looked at charts which show deep areas in canal from 150' to 200'. Is there fishing for Chickens in the Canal, (Beecher Pass area or middle deep canal) or should we go south into the sraights around Level Is. or deeper??
    Coho In? will they be schooling up in the area at this time? How To find them? In SoCal, fish will be feeding and pushing the baitfish to the surface, and the birds will be on it from the top. How can I spot feeding salmon schools in AK? Are there any creeks, streams that would be worth hiking up around Duncan Canal or Portage Bay, to find trout, greyling, char etc.??
    At Portage Bay, I would quess the outer mouth of the bay would be a good spot for for butts,? I see 1/2 mile creek to the East and Big Creek? to the west, are they worth fishing for trout? others?
    Anyway, lots of questions and any comments or replys on how to locate fish in these areas is appreciated. thanks jim
    Jim;

We had a few isolated lakes in the Ketchikan area where grayling were planted in the 40's or 50's and are still available, I would guess some Petersburg old-timers would know if that happened in their area as well.

Good luck.

kingfisherktn

Thumbs up

Thanks for the help. As first-timers, the more info the better. I did find some info on hiking trails at the USFS website. Sounds like there are a few trails on duncan canal back to various lakes for trout and other fresh water species. While the plan is to fish salt water most of the time, I know we want to take a day or two for hiking and fresh water action. Thanks again for taking the time to reply. Jim

Well, there should not be any Halibut in Beecher but stranger things have occured. Beecher is fairly shallow and the tide RIPS through there. I have not heard of anything in Duncan either but the depths seem about right and I know that there are plenty o' halibuts in the mouth of Rocky Pass which is geographically about the same just on the other side of the tip of the island there.
    Portage on the hand is downright nifty for halibut. I will only tell you to fish about 180' deep out the mouth of the bay. HUGE.

I'm also interested in getting any info on Duncan Canal fishing. Is there any halibut/rockfish fishing in Duncan? Also can you troll for kings in the early spring around the first of May? If so, where should I start and what do you recommend for bait/lures? Is level islands good? How about sumner strait? Also has anyone fished for steelies in the early spring and what creek/river would you recommend? Sorry for all the questions but I'm fairly new to the area and would appreciate any info. Thanks in advance. Also, if feel free to send me a PM if needed!! Where is Rocky Pass?