Thread: Bowhunting Delta Sheep

Default Bowhunting Delta Sheep

Just wondering if anybody has any stories of taking a sheep with a bow in the Delta management area? I drew the early season walk in hunt, can't decide if want to try with the bow or the rifle. Any and all stories appreciated thxs.

If it were me I would not do the first season walk in with a bow. Theres just too much work involved to not be successful on a draw hunt like that after working that hard, because you chose a bow. The choice is yours to make. I would say your chances of success % wise will be reduced by 70% using a bow over a rifle. The way I see it is, if I see a ram and I have a rifle in my hand I will get him, when? who knows, might have to sleep under or above him if I really want him, but I will get him. With a bow theres so many other things that have to line up in order for you to be successful, its just not the same. I have killed a ram with a bow and got to within 80 yards of a couple legal rams on a different trip, seeing one inside even 100 yards does not mean you'll get him.

depends on how much time you have and how good of shape you are in. If I drew that I'd be rifle hunting but I'm in bad shape with little time. The chugach bow hunts are fairly high percentage draws so if you want to harvest a sheep with a bow that might be the way to do it. The best thing to do is find someone with the same tag and yo bring a bow he brings a rifle, that way you have a backup plan.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by fulldraw View Post
    Just wondering if anybody has any stories of taking a sheep with a bow in the Delta management area? I drew the early season walk in hunt, can't decide if want to try with the bow or the rifle. Any and all stories appreciated thxs.

FD....first...congrats (I guess!) on the permit I didn't get!

You could always look at flying into the Charlie Boyd Strip and hunt from there on the Johnson Glacier. I believe the CBS is still leagl to fly into during the walk in season (an exception to the law), at least it was a couple of years ago. I hunted this area 2 years ago and saw tons of sheep, just couldn't get my big butt up the mountain to find a legal one. Just an idea.....

Default WWID...(what would I do)

Dude, I'm a die hard bow hunter, but if I drew that tag, I would not waste my time with a bow, unless you have a houseful of mounted sheep, and just need to close the deal on one with a bow (I know the feeling).

I hunted sheep last season pretty hard, up north out of Slope Mt. and saw a few good rams, but getting within the distance is the key, My hats go off to those who can take one with a bow...Its Tough! but I think about 80% of it is pure luck, I consider myself in pretty good shape too, so that wasn't a factor. But i do have that monkey on my back, and the feeling that I'll never get one with a bow in this lifetime, but right now I just want to get a sheep period!

Another reason, bow hunting in a rifle zone, you might say that there probably won't be anyone else huntin' there but, you never know, things could go wrong. I don't like wearing hunter orange either. chances are there will other hunters, even in a draw area, this sheep huntin'thing is a growing sport, that keeps 'em coming back!...It would really suck, for you to pursue a nice ram with your bow only to find it drop in the hands of a rifle hunter...bottom line, if I was going to bow hunt sheep...it would be in a bow only area, where its fair across the board....just my thoughts

Default Richardson

There are many streams that cross the Richardson north of Summit Lake. I see many guys parking at the bridges and walking the stream beds up. The beds are usually wide enough so you do not hit any alders. The farthest I have been up is Gunny Sack. Pretty easy walking as long as no major rains hit. At some point you will have to leave the stream bed and might have to hit the alders for a bit to the alpine slopes. I have never seen any sheep. I was looking for gold and quartz veins. There is also a communications tower with a road up to it along there. The alpine behind it does not look too bad and the slope is fairly easy.

There is also, if you can find it. Any old rock quarry off the road that goes back in 1/2 or so. It opens up to a wide camping area and there is a trail off of the quarry on the south east corner (road). That can get you back in a bit further but I have never been all the way back that road. There is a camp site back there on the road but someone has always been camping there so I never tried going back. My truck has a turning radius of three states and I did not want to venture into unknown territory.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Left side of Castner creek, you can walk the burm for a good ways, theres also a pullout there to park your truck...Saw sheep up there during sheep season.

Default all depends..

I think it depends on if you are willing to walk away with nothing. If it is your first, bring the rifle, if you have a pile of them, try with the bow. I've killed around a dozen and 3 of them I could have hit with rocks. Sometimes it is just luck on how things work out. Usually if you can get above them, you have a chance of getting real close to them, doing it from the bottom is really tough.

You can fly into Charlie Boyd. It is one of the places exempted in the early season.

Default Options

I have an 15" Encore in 7mm/08 pistol with a 2x7 Burris, about 2 1/2 pounds. I would take that and the bow.

If you take the bow, everything will be in gun range. If you take the gun, you will kill one at bow range. Why not cover both?

Default Delta sheep

Thxs for all the replys,Well I have taken a couple of sheep already,the last one being at a range of about 25yds.That pretty much being where I get the bow hunting idea from.I know I have to ask myself," how bad do I want another" I want another real bad.So most likely the rifle is going to go.I figure if I were to read a couple of success stories from other hunters I might talk myself into it.I am party hunting with my Father so we might do the one gun,one bow option also.Yeah, I know I don't expect that I am going charge right out and get 25yds from a fat boy ram right away again either.But I can sure dream about it all summer long. Thxs again for the input.

Default One bow / one gun

It might be a good idea that you both learn to shoot the same gun and same bow even if for only this hunt. Thay way, whomever gets the bow shot, or rifle shot will have confidence in the weapon choice. Maybe both of you will be able to use the bow. Who knows. Be prepared! The old Scout Master in me speaking.

Boy, for me that would be a tough decision...NOT! Unless I had a broken arm bum shoulder or whacked off my string fingers, I'd be bowhunting them!

The definition of success is something you'll have to figure on for yourself. YOu can and people do regularly kill or get close enough to kill legal rams with a bow! It's not terriably difficult. To be quite frank, I've had a helluva better chance at killing full curl rams with a stickbow then I have at spot and stalking a black bear. Mind you I wont shoot a cub but I'm also one that doesnt need or really have the desire to go after the biggest cahona in the woods for bears either. Someday I'll shoot one.

Patience is the key. Knowing when to move and when to wait. We had a 180+ class ram we spotted and watched for a number of days. We field judged him somewhere between 45 and 46", both were almost identical with 14" bases, maybe a tad more. I was atleast at the time pretty dang good at judging length, mass at bases, I knew it was heavy or it wasnt lol. Either way this was a toad. Some rifle hunters came in, shot one of the 7/8 curl rams from the group, ground checked it and promptly ran mr big, another 38 to 39" ram very similiar in size to my 02 ram, and a bunch of other 3/4 to 7/8 curl rams out of the country. The part that disgusted me the most was seeing them shoot this ram walk up to it, roll it over, count rings then shake hands. And yes this is a first handed witnessed event.

Either way you have to decide whats more important. Just killing a sheep, or giving a go with your bow on a tag you may never see again. Not that it's a big deal as this hoss ram wasn't in a draw area and there are other draw tags for sheep. Delta atleast for me usually gets passed over on the application quite easily for other things