17 9.71%
  • Lowa's

50 28.57%
  • Scarpa's

15 8.57%
  • Other

93 53.14%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sheep & Goat hunting boots poll....

Default Sheep & Goat hunting boots poll....

Which do you prefer and why? Thanks.....

Lowa's

Fit like a glove and went straight out on a sheep hunt without breaking them in.

I like the Lowa Sheephunter/Cabelas Alaskan Hunter/Schnees design boots better than plastic.

Default Corks

Down here in S SE many Goat and Deer hunters wear Corks. Some young and tuff guys just get Xtratuff Corks. I must get a strong leather support boot. I have had good luck with the Miendle .... but also liked the lightweight Danner Pronghorns (corked) for early season hunting.

Hoffmanboots.com and look at logging boots (leather) section. Hoffman's will resole (cork) most any boots.

Default Lowa's

Went through the whole gammet of boots. I have the worlds worst feet. I finally bought a pair of Lowa's and broke them in on my goat hunt. Ended up with 2 or 3 small blisters, but that is nothing compared to how my feet usually end up. Usually, I can wring the blood out of my socks. My feet have been this way ever since the Marine Corp days..
    Johnny

After 25 years in plastic,i finally broke down and tried Lowa's 3 years ago,I can't say enough about them,i just recieved my 2nd pair last week......One vote for Lowa's

used a couple better quality pairs of cabelas boots over the years then years ago got a pair of koflach (green model) first hunt they bothered my feet alot but i have wide feet, i got them stretched and have loved them since much better support, stabilty and comfort esp side hilling,
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

don't have a horse in this race yet but I will be wearing Lowa's when I attempt to fill my chugach sheep tag this fall. I am planning on getting a set for my wife as well. If they provide the support she needs to get out and enjoy hiking again they are worth double what they sell for. She hasn't been able to really enjoy the outdoors the same since she broke her ankle. I am really hoping that the lowas will change that!

Default LOWA's

Just in the process of breaking in some new lowa's. Have used several other boots in the past and sidehilling always killed my feet. Some of my buddies in the southeast love their corks.

Terry

Default Cabelas perfekt hiker (Meindl)

I love these boots. I tried the lowas but they felt to narrow on my feet. Other than that i would have bought them. Hillbilly

Used to use Koflach but not any more. Went through a couple of pair of Scarpa's and loved them. Then tried the Mendiels from Cabelas. The Alaska Hiker model....best mountain boot I've ever had.

I own a pair of Cabela's Meindle's and love them as well, was just thinking about a pair of boots with more ankle suport. My mendles will be going with me on this goat hunt no dought!

Just curious on these other types to see what people had to say.

A couple of years ago I bought a pair of Aku Extreme GTX for an up coming sheep hunt. They ended being a bit stubborn to break in but once they were Ive never regreted wearing them. Ive used them for two hunts now and they are holding up very well.

I have a pair of Cabelas Alaskan Hunters made by Meindl. They are super boots and took no time for me to break in. I couldn't be happier after three moose hunts and a sheep hunt. They will be on my feet for my goat hunt in the fall.

Default Meindl

My Meindl's have kept me blister free on two sheep hunts and two goat hunts...GREAT BOOTS. A good trade-off between stiff and flexible when traversing varied terrain over long distances...The last sheep hunt encompassed 56 miles total (after double-humping) and these boots kept me sprain/blister/hot spot free!

I'm getting scarpa leathers for sheep next year, oh yea and ice climbing.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Lowa

I wear Lowa Banff boots but, am looking maybe a purchase in the Lowa Civetta's ...although I'm not too keen on the 5lbs. that they weigh....CK

I've got the Lowa's as well, they don't get any better than that for mountain hunting IMO. I've tried the Cabela's Meindle brand of boots and hate them, I've also had the Danners Winter Lite boot which were a darn good boot at the time but they didn't last as long as I had hoped.

I have a pair of Georgia Boots that are leather with 600 grams of thinsulate and hard, air-bob soles; couldn't afford lugs like vibram. I bought mine at the Warehouse for $150. Never wore them before and took them straight out for a Wrangells sheep hunt. No problems. Would love to get another pair when these go.

Tim

the Cabela's Alaska Hunter and the Lowa Sheephunters are basically the same boots. I have the Cabela's Alaska Hunter and am satisfied. My only complaint is the insole which can be easily be remedied by replacing it.
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast