Thread: synthetic stock options

Default synthetic stock options

I just picked up a winchester 70 proshadow in 300 wsm. I would have rather picked up one of the winchester classics with the claw extractor but I couldn't pass the price up on this one. It is one of the control round push feed actions. Its pretty similar to the sako 85 bolt face. Basically a push feed bolt where teh bottom had been opened up to allow the shell to come up and slide under the extractor. It looks to be a solid enough system but only time will tell.

The worst thing about it is the butt ugly synthetic stock that comes on it. I would like to find a nice aftermarket for it. Something light and durable. Most decent stocks I have looked at have been in the 500+ range. thats a little higher than I really want to go. I can get a basner unfinished for around 200 bucks but wasn't sure how much work was involved in finishing it out.

Depending on how it shoots I might get the action trued up and possibly the barrel fluted and some kind of protective finish like cerakote or teflon.

Any ideas about where to get a better synthetic stock would be appreciated.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I am probably the LAST guy on the planet that should be giving advice on synthetic stocks (dont own one, never have, never will) but my buddies are big time into synthetic stocked rifles and claim it’s yet another one of those deals where you get what you pay for. They all swear by the high end, ultra light stuff by McMillan et. al. I guess I would start my browsing thru web sites and see if the hype makes sense for the $.

Best of luck, and I sure it will be a handsom rifle when your done (this is me rolling my eyes)

Ok, I am sorry, I just couldn’t help it. YOU CAN TRUST A TREE!!!! but plastic is for zip-loc bags and cars made in Japan! Ok, I better go now before I stomped by my high horse
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Default plastic

Tend to agree with Alangaq but I do know that Brown Precision are good people .

I been researching this same subject for awhile now myself. i own an MPI stock that was installed by Andy Hawk and it is extremely nice, but expensive. The high tech specialties stocks that is owned by mark bansner is the one i'm leaning towards rigth now. I talked to them this week and an unfinished stock with a decelerator recoil pad installed was about $300. I'm getting Stan jackson to do the bedding/inletting for me and i beleive his price for that was little bit over $120 or so. Stan can also true the action and flute your factory barrel for about $300 or so.

IMO, the Macmillans are too expensive and the HS precision stocks are too heavy. The aluminum bedidng block adds a lot of weight to the drop-in versions of those stocks. My HS Precision stock is way too heavy, that's why i'm getting a different stock.
    Also, you may want to consider the Bell&Carlson stocks for a drop in stock that won't break the bank.

Here's my 2 cents take it for whats it worth. If you want a light weight stock then save your bucks for a Mcmillan edge. Best stock out there in my opinion. The Bansners are nice but require alot of fitting and work. By the time you have a smith fit and paint one your in the 400 dollar range anyway. If you want to do it all your self you can probably do it for around 300. A little more if you dont want to rattle can it. Keep in Mind that there is a 6 month wait for a McMillan right now and you dont have to put all the money down on it when you order, so you pay it off as you go.

Check out the Mcmillain specails page as you can pick up a really nice stock for $385

Hs precision builds a nice stock as well, but they are a little heavier. I have never seen a brown but they are just as much as a MCM.

As for the action, dont mess with it untill your ready to screw on a custom tube. Its not worth it. If it doesnt shoot MOA after you bed the new stock then possably look at sending it to hill country rifles to be accurized. It will cost about the same and you will have a sub MOA rifle. As for cerakote. Its great stuff on a blued rifle. Charley at riflestockpainting.com is one of the best or talk to doug at ultra coat.

If your going to do all the work you want to you are really just using the rifle for a doner action Shoot that sucker and see what it will do BEFORE you have a bunch of work done to it!!

PS you better start this now if you want to use it by september. Most good smiths are a 6 month to a year wait.

Default Rimrock - Another Choice

Another good option is Rimrock stocks. They're nice to deal with to. You could order the stock, fit and bed the action then return it for them to paint. It still ends up costing around $400-$600 (depending on how much of the fitting work you do), but you can spread it out a bit, kind of like layaway.

http://www.rimrockstocks.com/

Woody