Thread: Bunnies on the Kenai Pen.

Talking Bunnies on the Kenai Pen.

I am bow certified but my buddy is not. So Skilak lake loop is out of the question. We just need to get the heck out of the house and get out of town for the weekend. Anyone chase bunnies around mystery creek road or around the watson lake area outside of sterling. Just looking to go chase some bunnies and enjoy some outdoors time. Thanks for any input you guys might have. We are not set on that area only but would like to head south not north. Again thanks
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default bunnies...

Alaskachuck-
    Lots of tracks around--TONS actually, but the bunnies are pretty elusive. Unless you have a dog, morning and evening seems to be when they are moving around. Be careful at Watson lake, I went through the ice on the north end, there must be some warm springs or something up that way. Rest of the lake has 2 feet of ice! Good luck and watch out for thin ice on the lake....Randy

Thanks Randy appreciate the info. i do know from fishing on watson in the summer I have come accross some warm currents there. Glad you made it out ok. As I was saying just wanting to get out. Seeing tracks at least we know they are there. Maybe we will get lucky and find a couple of stupid ones. Either way I gots to get out and play.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I was only in the kasilof area briefly picking up a sled in the fall and saw six rabbits in 15 minutes just driving along the road. I imagine that there are plenty of areas to get into good rabbits in that area.

I always carry my bow in the car in case a turkey should show up in cooper landing and the one time I didn't have my bow (fletchers was restringing it) I saw two bunnies while camping on kenai lake. I almost got one with a rock though..
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Thumbs down No bunnies

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    I am bow certified but my buddy is not. So Skilak lake loop is out of the question. We just need to get the heck out of the house and get out of town for the weekend. Anyone chase bunnies around mystery creek road or around the watson lake area outside of sterling. Just looking to go chase some bunnies and enjoy some outdoors time. Thanks for any input you guys might have. We are not set on that area only but would like to head south not north. Again thanks
    (Skilak lake loop) been there done that they are all sleeping during the day but there is a hell of alot of tracks seen two that is it

There are lots of tracks because it hasn't snowed in 3 weeks.

Default come on guys, read your regs

For small game your buddy nor you are required to be certified if bowhunting small game.

area...................... unit .....................permit required ........IBEP required ...........species
    Skilak Loop
    Management Area.....15A ..............................No.................. ...... No ....................Small game