Thread: Eagle River Sheep

Default Eagle River Sheep

Has anyone ever hunted behind the visitors center in Eagle River? I have spoke w/ a couple of guys who have walked back there, but not hunted. Any information would be appreciated.

I'm pretty sure it's a drawing only area. Call ADF&G, or look through the regulations to be sure.

Yep. All drawing.

He knows that, guys. He drew the permit.

Default Drawing area

I am sorry about that, I did not mention that I did have a permit. Still appreciate what info you wouldnt mind sharing.

Default Black Bear

Have hunted black bear back in there, saw a couple monster sheep. One was well over 40".

My wifes great uncle used to live right by the eagle river nature center (back when it was a bar or something?), but her grandfather and uncle used to hunt up there back when one could do so without a special draw tag or permit (back in the late 70's), they both got nice sheep right in the area you are refering to.

It was a long time ago, but if you have a tag, spend some time hunting, I'm sure there will be a good chance of finding what your looking for. Good luck!

Area is full of goats and black bears as well. I don't think they even offer permits for goats. I hike back there in the summer and the terrain off the trail is very steep and rugged.
    As close as it is to get to I would suggest you hit the trail in back of the visitor center wearing a pack at least a couple of times a month during the summer to get some better ideas on what to do come sheep season.
    I live about a mile from Wal Mart and have watched numerous nice rams on the hills in back of my house during the spring and they all migrate back to the area you will be hunting.
    Remember to pack a gun while hiking. There are grizzlies back there as well and at least one bear attack that I can remember in recent years.
    Tennessee

Yeah, ..no permits for goat, don't even look.... yessiree,no goat permits.

Seriously though, take a good look at the boundries of your permit. you need to do some hiking before you are in the hunting area. This will be a great motivator for some summer ultralight overnight scouting trips.

Hunted DS133 last year. PM’ed you with my phone number, and favorite brand of whiskey!

“Big Daddy” will be hanging on my wall… when the taxidermists is finished with him!

Good news… not the only “Big Daddy” in there!

No Thad, you cant just go giving up lip service about big daddy without post a picture of this hoss!!! Kids these days

Default Big Daddy

He’s not a monster, but he was the biggest one of the two groups on the mountain.

We nick named him “Big Daddy” because three of us took turns watching these guys for a few days.

Not much of a picture, but I was whipped by the time we got him down to where we took the picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey, nice sheep! And nice photograph as well. Thank you.
    Tommy

thats a freaking nice sheep, I bet those tenderloins sure tasted good after packing that out!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Area is full of goats and black bears as well. I don't think they even offer permits for goats.
    Ooops..maybe I shouldn't have shot that goat last September...
    Sheep? Try Dishwater Creek drainage and also they mingle with the Goats up Icicle Creek. Also, better get in shape. I did the solo goat hunt up there last year, and it was straight up.
    Johnny

I have drawn Eagle River twice ,92 & 2004 Scored nice rams. PM if your wanting some info.