Thread: Ketchikan USFS Cabin Fishing Hiking with my son

Default Ketchikan USFS Cabin Fishing Hiking with my son

I will be taking my 14 yr. old son up to Ketchikan early August.
    My goals are:
    Have my son fall in love with the great outdoors.
    Have a great fishing experience
    Be able to explore via boat and/or hiking

So far, Jordan/Heckman lakes look good for hiking and Wilson Lake looks good for fishing.
    I'd rather go to Wilson since it looks to be more remote.
    Is it possible to float down the Wilson River from the Narrows Cabin and be able to get back up with a small motor?
    How hard is it to hike around the Wilson lake area? I'm looking at hiking up the main valley at the top of Wilson Lake. How much of the river is fishable on either end of the lake? What able wade fishing?

Has anyone tried hiking to Emma Lake from Jordan? If so, is the fishing any good?
    Any chance that Jordan Lake will be swamped by the kids down at Orton Ranch?

Thanks for any insights, I'm really looking forward to this trip!

I grew up in ketchikan but i haven't been there there for a long time. I'm sure you will have a great time at ether one. I never been to wilson but i have been too hump back lake just south of wilson. I had a great time good trout fishing. You will be a lot more remote at wilson. you will see a lot more people at naha river drainage due to the easy axes from ketchikan buy boat from locals and fishing lodges in the area.you will catch salmon at naha but not at wilson it is a high mountain lake and I dont think the salmon can make it up to the lake. depending on how long you are staying and your budget I would go to both they at a lot different. hope this helps a little but I would check the web site and call the usfs , they can tell you a lot more. they are out there maintaining them and can tell you a lot more than I can. http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/cab...nareamap.shtml

I have a FS map that includes Wilson Lake, and if I remember it correctly it has a waterfall below the lake and also sheer cliffs going into the lake from the narrows cabin (at the outlet) up to the inlet. So my guess is no - you can't motor up or down wilson river, and no, you can't hike much around the lake. Which makes sense, since it is a trophy cutthroat lake - and trophy cutthroats generally grow where you have landlocked kokanee; and it wouldn't be landlocked unless it had a barrier like a waterfall.

What you would probably want to do is rent a motor for the cabin skiff, and check out the inlet creek area and see what gives there. The outlet right by the narrows cabin may be good too. I know it might seem like fun to hike down to tidewater and try for silvers, but it looks like 7 miles, no trail, and would probably take all day or more to get there.

There's a recent article in Alaska Fishing magazine about Misty Fjords on a trip that I'm sure was to Wilson Lake (didn't mention the name, but I recognized it on the cabin picture), seemed like pretty good fishing by the narrows. Post a report if you go.

there will be a lot of salmon in the naha in augest you wont get any salmon at the wilson. I you are going for your 14 year old i would go to the naha dranage. there wil be alot more for him to exsplore from river lake and beach and salmon. If he is in to trout fishing remot and beuty (not to say the naha is not beutiful, It is) I would go to the willson.
    but if it is for your son do both and expose him to them both and he may fall in love with it all and see the the diversity of the area.

Default Thanks - I decided on the Wilson

I appreciate your input - I talked to the guy at the USFS, and although he didn't know a whole lot about either place, he did mention that we could wade fish the river at both ends. Perhaps hike up the valley a little bit. Can't boat down the river - he thought it was too small.

While I think either one of these locations would be just fine, my final decision went to the 'remote-ness' factor of Wilson. If we are going all the way to Alaska, I think we should experience the wilderness as untainted as possible (without staying in a tent!).

Any tips on kokanee fishing?

P.S. We plan on finishing up with a kayak trip in Ketchikan area. I spotted this deal: http://www.yakfishalaska.com/services.htm