Thread: Little Help

Default Little Help

My son and I are trying to paln our first Moose hunt to Alaska.
    We have considerable experience in the lower 48, but understand that doesn't always measure up in Alaska.
    We are not looking for a trophy of a life time (would take one) but for a quality hunt. Thoughts on DIY,Float hunts/ guides, outfitters consultants?

Check out Pristine Ventures (Larry Bartlett) web site for trip planning services.
    I've used Aniak Air Guides for Moose and they were ok to deal with, but are now under new ownership. I've also used Branch River Air out of King Salmon, Van Hartley does a very good job-expect to be dealing with bears on a regular basis in many of the area's he operates in...........Guess that could be said for alot of the regions in AK though.

Research is key as is knowing/identifying what you want/goals out of your Alaskan experience-Good hunting!

When are wanting to go? The advice to call Larry is a good one. You can definitely do it yourself. However you need to consider what kind of shape you are in, how much you can carry, etc. You need to be ready for a float hunt because it can be physically demanding, but then any type of moose hunt is. A float hunt is very doable and can be enjoyable if properly planned. Get Larry's video, Float Hunting Alaska Vol. 1 to give you an idea of what floathunting is all about. A bull can weigh up to 1800 pounds, although that is a big one. Quarters weigh more than most deer. Meat care is a big concern and arrangements need to be made for that. The majority of the areas in Alaska are 50 inch or four brow tines for non residents. I would advice getting the "Is This Moose Legal" from the Alaska Department of Fish and Game. http://wildlife.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=pubs.video
    Their web site also has a lot of good information.

Thanks Guys
    We have done DIY backpack Elk and Flyfishing trips in the Rockies and I believe we can prepare and meet the physical challenge.
    The other things you have mentioned we are going to need a lot of prep on. I appreciate the resources mentioned and we will sart with them.

Don't underestimate the challange of determining whether or not a bull is 50 inches. Each year both residents and non residents kill and leave ALOT of bulls to rot on the ground after the actual antler size falls short of their GUESS. It is not EASY even for people who hunt them every year. Be safe

Default Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by ldh1187 View Post
    My son and I are trying to paln our first Moose hunt to Alaska.
    We have considerable experience in the lower 48, but understand that doesn't always measure up in Alaska.
    We are not looking for a trophy of a life time (would take one) but for a quality hunt. Thoughts on DIY,Float hunts/ guides, outfitters consultants?
    Hello Idaho!

First of all, welcome to Outdoors Directory! You're in the right place for this, that's for sure. Feel free to drop me a private message and let's talk. It's a huge topic; really too much to unpack here. Your best bet is to get on the phone with someone.

I have been helping folks put their Alaska hunts together since 1992, and would be happy to provide either free or fee-based assistance to you, as you choose. Just let me know what I can do for you and I'd be happy to help.

You'll also find that the archives feature on this website offers a TON of information that would be useful in planning your hunt.

Hope it helps!

Best regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

if antler size isn't really an issue look for any bull hunts and drawing tags to apply for
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Thanks again,

Mike I will give you a call. It appears that with the prep and homework we need to do I'm looking at 09 earliest most likely 10. I would consider floating a river a year in advance, fishing trip maybe. We have one 338 should our second gun be a 375? Suggestions on meat care info. as commented.

Default go to the...

interior around the Yukon...no roads, no houses, no people...just critters...and since your up that way get a grizz tag and bring one of those home...good luck
    ...Jackie Bushman is a TOOL

Sorry y2, but DON'T get a grizz tag and bring one home, (unless of course, you are being guided.) Other than that, the Yukon area would be good choice.

Default first pick a place

Since your not set on a huge bull - look through the regs because there is some non resident any bull areas. These area's are good becuase you can hunt for a trophy but you more than likley wont go home empty handed because you can take a smaller bull if a trophy doesn't pan out. Plus you dont have to worry about judging a 50 incher. I can think of unit 25c - 20c, and unit 18 off the top of my head. I would figure out what unit you want to hunt, and then post on here what unit you are hunting, and ask what reputable air services fly into that area. Then your air service can offer you the bulk of the info you need to know to finish planning your hunt. Any further info needed I would ask Micheal S who posted earlier.