Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rod Cases

Default Rod Cases

Hello All, I will be making my first trip up in aug. from NY. I was wondering if anyone Knows of a good rod case to carry 2 spinning rods and reels (1 8' 6" 2 piece salmon rig and 1 light rig).I would love to be able to carry on and save the extra checked baggage space for the ride home. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Default Rod Cases

Check out Cabela's. I like the Magnum rod cases for all my sticks. Another trick is to duct tape a couple of rod cases together.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...entId=cat20166

These are pretty much the toughest I seen, next to aluminum.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...325&hasJS=true

I have been guiding in the far north for 15 years and these are pretty indestructable. Don't worry about checking it in though. If you need the extra checkable luggage on the way home just duct tape it to your box of fish or duffel bag etc. This system works great!
    Make sure that you have tags on both pieces just incase the ramp boys get a little rough on it.

Thanks guys for the info.. I did'nt think you could get away with the old duct tape job, good to here that that you can, much better than carrying it on.
    God Bless, Jeff

Default Case Length

Make sure you check with the Airlines on how long the case can be, sometimes it is considered over sized if it is more than 60" long. I carry mine on and I hink it is 52 " long. My father checked his and they opened it up to look inside and broke the tip of one of his poles, be safe and carry it on.

Default Possession is nine tenths of the law...

I always carry mine right onboard with me. They are bundled with tiny bungee cords. Slip them on a hanger and cover with a jacket if you are riding First Class. If you are in coach make sure they are the last item that goes into the overhead above you and the first item to get out.

Those heavy reels belong in a wheeled carry-on that you get to carry onboard along with your camera and other personal items.

That leaves you 2 checked bags at 50 lbs. that ride in the belly of the beast...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Default Size and numbers matter

As FLFisherman said, check carefully with the airlines you are traveling on as far as the length restriction. Size does matter here. Some airlines consider a rod case in combination with your tackle bag as one piece of checked luggage, others count those as two pieces of checked luggage.
    I have also had damage to guides. I now wrap my rods and harpoon in the clear plastic type wrap that movers use before putting them in the rod case to try to minimize the vulnerability and damage should the tube be opened for inspection by TSA. You can get that at Staples, U-Haul, etc.

Default No longer...

I used to carry the rod case, but when I got gigged as extra baggage, I discontinued using it.

I have been bringing my rods onboard for over 15 years bundled into the hand-carry method that I advocate without any loss, ever...

http://www.alaskanaauthor.com

Default Rod Cases

Most of my rods are between 8' & 9'6" feet long so carrying them on a plane will not work for me because I can't get them into the over head bins. Some planes have closets, however your still risking damage.

I only carry on my rods I duct tape them together and put them in the overhead.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default US Postal Service

Last summer I had 3 fish boxes, my suitcase and rod tube, a PVC tube I made to hold the rods I travel with. I carry on my backpack. I send the rods home to Mesa by Post Office, took 3 days and cost $20. Another checked item by airlines would be $50. My cousin sent his suitcase home by PO. Cost him $40 and they delivered right to his door in 3 days also. Check from your PO to the city you are ending up in and how much it would cost to send there. The return should be the same. The PO clerk in Soldotna was great to work with, said it would take 6-7 days and it was home in 3.

When we went to Alaska for the first time in 2006 we used those Bazoka tube rod holders from Cabela's as posted earlier. We out two 7ft poles for salmon along with a couple smaller trout rods. reels went into our suitcases.

Alaska Airlines at that time did not count rod holders as part of your two allowed checked luggages. So when I came back i was able to bring my suitcase, rod holder, and fish box, and not pay anything extra. I'm not sure if that has changed at all or not.

I am going back to Alaska for our 2nd trip the end of August, so keep us informed on what you did, or what happens.

Default Good Idea

Quote Originally Posted by stewjacobson View Post
    I send the rods home to Mesa by Post Office, took 3 days and cost $20. Another checked item by airlines would be $50. Check from your PO to the city you are ending up in and how much it would cost to send there.
    Jeff,

That's a great idea....just mail them to me and they will be here when you guys show up.

Default Home made rod tube

You can make your own rod tube. Ues ABS tubing and seal one end. use a screw top fixture on the other end. ABS pipe is lightweight and strong. You could run over it with a truck and it wont break. All the Items can be purchased at any hardware store. ABS comes in different sizes so see whats best for you.
    Ray

Default Rods on plane

Hope you don't have the bad luck my husband had when he duck taped rods to the top of the luggage. In a case and all 3 rods were broke in half.
    He was lucky he sent his most expensive one home with a son as a carry on when he left from his visit.

Three piece (fly & drift) rods are becoming more popular, which makes it much easier carrying them on a plane.

Default cheap and tough

I have used PVC sewer pipe capped one end and installed a clean out cap on the other end. Virtually indestructile even with airline handlers.

Default Safety Tip!

I carry my rods in fabricated ABS tubes but, I make sure to wrap them in the transparent plastic mentioned above if I am carrying them with me. i use bubble wrap if i am mailing the rod package. Since my rods are 2 piece, they (especially the 9.5' St. Croix fly rod) are pretty long - even when broken down. I will often check with my destination to see if I can ship them my rods by mail. If that is O.K. I send them by mail.

Many commercially made rod cases are adjustable in length. If you are using one of these (either to mail or to bring with you) I recommend that you place a piece of dowel or 3/4" schedule 40 PVC piping inside. That is to prevent the tube from collapsing when your rods are inside. Obviously, if you have fabricated a case from ABS piping, it will not collapse and you don't need to place the dowel or pipe inside.

+1 for the PVC tubing. Go out to your local harware store (Lowes/Home Depot) and get a piece of PVC with whatever ID you need along with an end cap, and a "clean out" end piece with a screw in plug and you are good to go for about $10.00. Like said before, you can run ove these with a truck and be fine. I also use a couple hose clamps to hold on a garage door size handle on mine.

Default PVC Pipe

I used PVC pipe last year... it is not indestructible. Alaska Airlines found a way to bend it in half and break one of my 2 piece fly rods. At least it was on the way back home when it got broken!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast