Thread: utility machines

Default utility machines

What machines do people recommend for utility? Pulling a sled into the cabin and for bird hunting in the winter followed by bear hunting in the spring?
    Thanks

Polaris Widetrak. I think the widetrack is the best machine for all around utility work. Plus they are near impossible to get stuck in deep powder and will go just about anywhere you have the guts to take them. The Polaris is heavy, but is alot lighter than most of the other brands.
    ..."Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions." - G.K. Chesterton

I used to use a Polaris Widetrack, they are workhorses!

I now prefer Bombardier, the Skandic widetrack is still utilitarian but unlike the Polaris they are light and nimble enough to have some fun with too.

An advantage of the Polaris is the low-range transmission for pulling loads in deeper snow. A disadvantage is that they are a Polaris The Skandic has two forward gears also but it doesn't seem to have the pulling power of the Polaris. It may be because they (SkiDoo) are a smaller machine with a shorter track, I believe.

Default Machine

Another vote for a Widetrack, I have one since 1993, about 8000 miles on it, 13 Yrs, not a bit of trouble with it, Last Yr, small things starting to show up, Carbs, Water in the gas, rubbed wire, so forth, The LX weight 643 Lbs, 488 Liq, engine L/h/R Tranny, 156X20 track, The Ski Doo Mentioned Skandic WT mentioned, 620Lbs, with the 550Fan cooled if where the 600Liq. 653Lbs, Not much Difference there, Fact 550F is harder on gas, Dont Know about the 600, on fuel. but i know it will overheat pulling heavy loads in less than Ideal trail, There,s ways around that, Ice sratchers, Trouble with Polaris And i Love mine is that they haven,t changed that much last 18 Yr,s . Next Yr, Look for all new design, But there 2Yr,s Behind Ski Doo And Yamaha, & Cat,s pure Work Hard to beat SkiDoo SWT, But it is a beast to Drive The new 4 cycle Yamaha VK, Rides nice, pull any thing you can hook to it, My Buddy got one, this Yr, He lined all up, and went with it, I have used it I,m Impressed!! Service could play a role into this also, Of course Money how much you got to spend! That also would narrow the choice,s down

Have been a devoted Polaris rider for 20 + years with lots of miles on wide tracks , the problem is they are not welling to upgrade the machine.
    This is the original work horse !!!! But times change , last year after
    researching I bought a new ski doo ( its hard to say that name) SUV
    wide track with SDI 600. I have been been very happy with it .The fuel
    consummation is about 1/2 of the old Polaris wide track. the ride is better.
    My old Polaris over heated during margin snow conditions [with scratchers] hauling loads. The new ski doo over heated last year once . I don't think you can blame that on either machine ,running on ice. the new machine has started with elect start at -34 .

I prefer Yamaha 2-stroke Vikings, but I wouldn't call any of the wide tracks the best utility machines. The answer is always the same. Gimme a Tundra.

05' POLARIS LX Widetrack. Love it, does everything I need/want it to do. Once you learn how to "ride" a widetrack you can still go hang with the mountain boy's. I love pulling up to a alder patch and see my buddies shake their head and say "there is no way I can go through that" (to agressive of a machine), I just say bummer dude, lock it in low range and putter through it.