Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bison Hunting

Default Bison Hunting

Anyone ever harvested a Bison from one of those interior game ranches? You know, missed hunting season, so you didn't get your moose or caribou, never been drawn for the Delta Junction Bison herd, and you need to fill the freezer and thought a buffalo robe would also be cool? Just wondering, I'm sure it's not "hunting" in the truest sense of the word, just curious how it went? Thanks.

A buddy of mine's grandpa took an elk from one of those places, seems boring and a waste of money to me, I'm not sure how the meat to pound/ dollar ratio goes, but as its hard to find buffalo steak around here and you get to process the meat how you want (no preservatives) it could be worth it if you can eat that much meat over the year.

Definately not hunting though, more like cow tipping with bullets
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Yeah, that's what I figured (cow tipping with bullets). Although, I've heard buffalo meat is pretty good...

Default Buffalo meat

Buffalo meat is very good much like beef. It is a little courser due to the size of the ainmal. Buffalo meat also has the lowest cholesterol of any meat- almost zero! Ranch hunting is exactly that hunting within a ranch, not at all like in the wild. For truly wild Bison hunting the only place I know of is in Northern Canada, B.C. and Alberta. Don't need a license but need a guide.
    Good Luck

Got my Bison this year in Delta , Drove by the Ranch everyday saw lots of buffalo in thier pen.Looks like maybe a 20 Ac pen Watched one day as a guy walked up to them and shot one. Tractor came over picked it up and back to the barn. Someone told me it would be cheaper to just pay the fee to hunt them in the pen then to of won the Delta drawing. They were right after 12 days hunting and about $ 3,000, I think Holsenbecks charge $2500 and they do all the work. I would do it again in a heartbeat. But when this Wild buffalo runs dry in my freezer I think we are going to do the pen hunt next year. Unless my wife draws atag.
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    I think Holsenbecks charge $2500 and they do all the work. I would do it again in a heartbeat. But when this Wild buffalo runs dry in my freezer I think we are going to do the pen hunt next year. Unless my wife draws atag.
    I'm aprehensive to admit this, but my wife wants me to do a bison "hunt" on the Delta ranch so we can get some bison meat (since I haven't drawn a tag). A fella at her work brought some in and she loves it. She has no problem with me hunting a ranch as long as it puts some bison in the freezer. It is $2500-3500 depending on the size of the bison, I believe.

My buddy and I are planning our first fly-out hunt for the fall of '09 and my wife would rather I take the $3000 I'm budgeting to hunt caribou and bear to hunt the Delta Ranch! I won't sacrifice my first fly-out though. Roger, I wouldn't hold it against you for wanting to hunt a ranch if that's what it takes to put some bison in the freezer. BTW, how many pounds of meat did you get off your bison?

Tim

bison meat is delicious, absolutely awesome

Just don't call fenced slaughter hunting, but by all means slaughter livestock yourself its probably more healthy, just don't call it hunting like texans who hang cow (ok fenced dall sheep) trophies on their wall...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by mcreg View Post
    For truly wild Bison hunting the only place I know of is in Northern Canada, B.C. and Alberta.
    I don't know...my bison hunt in the Farewell Burn was pretty darn wild. If by wild you mean a native population, then no...but the animals were most certainly wild and not at all used to humans. It was a fantastic hunt.

Thumbs up Delta herd

I also drew a Delta tag this year and have not filled it yet. Wild bison are harder to hunt than its implied. By the way, the bison in Delta Junction are truly wild. They dont even like the sight of people attempting to get within rifle distance. I am heading back in a little less than 2 weeks and cant wait for a second chance at getting some awesome meat for the freezer. By the way..When I was there in November, I witnessed the same thing that Roger saw with the "ranch" bison. I have been once and have already spent $1200.00 and I am expecting to at least spend the same this time, if not more.

Meat is Meat !!! no matter how you hunted it, I loved hunting the Bison all over Delta It was a once in a lifetime hunt as far as Alaska goes. I have nothing against pen hunts, I'd rather have that in my freezer than that pumped full of whatever beef they sell in stores. Some people just do not have the time to hunt weeks at a time and the "PEN" is " Guaranteed " meat in the freezer.

Two years ago my wife and I purchased a live bison at the Custer State Park auction in South Dakota. No, it wasn't a hunt, but it did provide us with bison meat. I didn't fill my elk tag that year so an auction bison was the back-up to fill the freezer. The animal was vaccinated (state law) but the park (60,000+ acres) certainly does not treat the herd like cattle. I think we paid $0.89 / lb live weight for a yearling cow (630 pounds). I skinned and processed the animal and kept track of all the weight we ended up with in terms of steak and burger. Just over 200 lbs total if I recall, I remember I expected it to be a bit higher. The meat was excellent! Unfortunately, four months later we were getting ready to move to Alaska. Thus, I had a freezer full of bison meat that I couldn't move with me. Amazing how many friends, you didn't know you had, show up when they hear you're emptying the freezer full of bison.

My question to you folks who have drawn the Delta bison tags in the past: how does it work as far as getting assigned a certain time period to hunt? As I understand it, you're assigned a certain time frame you can hunt based on the order you were drawn. Is it a couple week window? One month? Two months? I was thinking if you only had a couple weeks to hunt and daytime highs were -20 F and below, it would make for some tough conditions. On one hand, you'd have the tag of a lifetime. On the other hand, you'd have a logistics nightmare if you did harvest and animal and had to field process it with brutally cold temps. Just curious how much time you get when you do draw a tag.

I just did a ranched bison hunt in Montana. Holemback's place in Delta wants $2500 for a 2 year old bull or a cow, and $3500 for a 3+ year old bull, which they don't have any more of. I decided to look around, and found the Flying D Ranch in Bozeman, MT. The cost was $1995 for a mature bull, and I took a 6.5 year old bull that was just under B&C size (although they don't qualify). I wanted to go for a few reasons. Mostly I wanted a nice mount for the wall, and you won't get that with a 2 year old bison. I also wanted some meat, and ended up with nearly 650 pounds of finished processed meat. I paid a butcher in Billings $360 to hang the bull for 2 weeks and process it, and paid $650 to ship it back to Alaska. I also paid $100 for two extra oversized bags coming back home with me. The first was the front half of the hide for a shoulder mount which was 106 pounds, and the second was the rear half of the hide, the horns attached with a small section of the skull plate, and the tenderloins. That one weighed in right at 100 pounds. I cashed in mileage for the trip, and stayed with a friend, so my only other costs were two tanks of gas. Total for the trip was about $3200.

At the Flying D, they have mature cow and yearling hunts for $695-$895. This is the bulk of their harvests. You will yield about half the meat than I did on a mature bull, so the cost will be less in shipping home and processing.

It isn't a hunt, it's a harvest in the true sense of the word. I took mine with a bow just to add a little something to the hunt. First shot was in the heart and the bull ran 20 yards and stood there for three minutes. Second shot was in the front of the lungs, and it fell within 10 seconds after that.

Here is the video of the kill and their process. After you kill it, they gut it, pick it up and put it in your truck and then you are on your own. They have a full list of local butchers to take the meat to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC1tXB7uWYY

When you are picked you have a up until the end of March to hunt once you have your class , The first class is Oct. 1 and the last class is Nov. 13 ,So even if you got picked last you would still have 5 months to hunt

Everybody I talked to said I'd be a shoe in for the Delta draw this year since I just paid the money to bring one home. I'll still be putting in so I can have a real bison hunt one of these years.

Thumbs up

shearej,

i moved to AK last year and brought every ounce of meat that was in my freezer along with me. that included elk, deer, antelope, and a variety of fish...two freezers full! i told my wife if i could not figure a way to get all my wild game meat up to AK as part of the usual cost of a move we were not going! so i waited until the uhaul was loaded with everything but the kitchen sink and the two freezers. i left the sink and placed my freezers in near the large access door, strapped the freezers shut, and made sure i could access the freezer plug-ins by simply cracking opening the rear uhaul door. i had all the necessary paperwork (which amounted to the hunting/fishing licenses and tags for all the game in the freezers) ready at the US/CDN border so that was not a problem. each night on the drive up the AlCan i parked the uhaul within about 100 feet of a 110V outlet at whatever hotel we stayed at, ran an extension cord to the outlet, and plugged in my freezers...my plan worked like a charm and kept everything frozen good and hard. we are still enjoying all that wonderful wild meat that I worked so hard to harvest, butcher, and move!

jerod,

it sounds like ted turner treated you right :-)

i "hunted" bison on an indian reservation a few years ago. the bison pasture consisted of 10's of thousands of acres of prairie so it was quite an experience. i shot a young cow (right behind the ear!) to guarantee top quality meat and got about 250 lbs at a total cost of $900 (tag, gas, etc.) for the "hunt". with all this talk of bison hunting i may have to give a real bison hunt near Delta a try...bison meat is excellent!

cheers to all

Default Bison

I have to agree with Brian....there is nothing easy about hunting the Farewell Bison herd. Pertnear froze my butt off out there!

Hi guys,
    I've been applying for the bison permit and hopefully in 30 years I draw. Some people have been saying it cost money to hunt the delta draw area. Do you have to pay a trespass fee? If not, where does all the cost come from?
    Chuck

The only time you have to pay a fee is if you hunt one of the local farmers tracts the price will vary ,But there is alot of public land also if you do not mind company. The cost depends on where you live, If you live close to delta than it will be cheaper ,We stayed at Silver Fox Roadhouse. 13 nights at $65 a night ,than add your food,Gas ,Gas,Gas,Gas.. . I drove over 1400 miles when we were there ,Then if you are not a taxidermist you are looking at $2000 or more for the mount. It would of cost me around $4000 but since I'm a taxidermist I came out cheap Some land owners are free some charge $350 on up.

My taxidermist is charging me $950 for a mature bull shoulder mount.

Has anyone heard of the Bison farm out near Pt. Mac? I heard theres one out there but havent been able to find anything on it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast