Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta Controlled Unit for Sheep

Default Delta Controlled Unit for Sheep

Just found out I drew the second season (motorized okay) for the Delta Controlled Unit for Sheep. Anyone hunt that in the past or have advice? I've got local contacts in Delta Junction for an ATV-in type of trip early, but I would like to charter and fly in later in the season. This would be a solo hunt. Also, any thoughts on Brown Bear or Black potential as an incidental? Any advice, thoughts or pics would be appreciated.

I've hunted a portion of that area for many years for moose. Took a friend of mine in there back in '97 on his first hunt ever, he drew a sheep tag but had no idea how to hunt them so I went along just for fun. He shot a 40" ram about 2 miles from our moose camp, which is where we spotted him and 4 others from. If I were to draw that tag I would do a wheeler hunt and go the last 10 days, not many people in there that late in the season and moose hunting is closed. Good chance of seeing bears too, I saw 2 last year, a blond and a chocolate, i'm pretty sure the blond was a female and the other was a male, going by size comparison. Can't say that i've ever seen a black bear in there though. Thats a great tag, congrats!!

Default DCU

Great area. Depending where you go in at you can see just about all big game. I have killed a grizzly in that area, moose, and black bear. Be carerful planning a late motorized hunt. I know of two people (one being myself) who did that. By the time we got up above tree line it was blizzard conditions, and it stayed that way until the end of the season/tag. You wouldn't be able to see a sheep unless you walked or tripped over it in those conditions. Good luck

Default Delta

GO to the Pristine Ventures forum and search for DCUA Smackdown. gives you some info. Took a sheep in there in 2006. I used Jim Cummings from Golden Eagle Outfitters and I wouod use him again...

Default same tag

I've drew the late season one too. I am not going to fly out though, so will concentrate on the atv access for a sheep. I will start the first weekend and everyone thereafter until I am successful! I would like to hunt the very end of the season, so we will see how time works out.

northway, pm sent.

Exclamation I'm also one of the Lucky Ones!

I got lucky this year as well........ and since I did a group application with my son, he drew also! I am really looking forward to this hunt. I have heard so many good things about it. I will be staged and ready to head in on the morning of the 26th! Can't wait! The thought's are already affecting my sleep, so I can only imagine how many sleepless nights are to follow in these next six months! Ha Ha Ha! Good luck on your hunt!
    Be safe, and enjoy your time outdoors!
    Mountain Man

"I'm not here for a long time! I'm here for a good time!!!!!!!!!!!"

Ak hunter 45, are from the Delta Area? Guys I'm new to delta area, If anyone need company, or someone to help you pack let me know and I will go out with you. I just want to learn the area.

Thanks

Alaskadude, no, i am not from Delta but I have hunted that area for over 10 years.

Question Non-Motorized Hunt

I drew the early non-motorized hunt. I was thinking of hunting west of Delta river in the Black Rapids Glacier area. Is this a viable option or should I consider flying in to one of the approved strips near Johnson River? Appreciate any suggestions.

If you can raft across and hunt Black Rapids it can be a 1 or 2 day hunt. I have a friend who did it with his buddy in about 2003. They rafted across, started hiking up towards the glacier, spotted some rams, climbed up and knocked one down (only had one tag). All in the same day. The weather was good so they pitched the tent and hung out for a couple days just to soak it all in. If I ever draw it again I will look hard at that area. F&G claims it doesn't get as much pressure and the rams seem a little larger over there. I have no hard data to back that up other than that's what they claim.

I know another guy who has flown in to the Charlie Boyd Airstrip on the Johnson twice. That's the only place you can fly into with the non-motor hunt. He says you still need to hump it a good 6 or 7 miles to get away from other pressure and get in to rams. He connected in the late 90's but struck out in 05 but his partner who was along for the ride did shoot a griz.

I have slogged it in from the Alcan to July creek and Bradford creek and it can pan out but it is also a 10-12 day 50+ mile hiney kicker. Find someone who will go with you. 2 guys and one ram on that long slog ain't too bad. I did it in 04. 1 guy and 1 ram or 2 guys and 2 rams is a different deal all together. We did the 2 guys 2 rams thing in 06. whew... I still get tired just thinking about it.

It also looks very intriguing over towards the Gerstle Glacier if a guy could hump it over there.

Congrats to all you DCUA winners! I wish you all the best!

Perry
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default i won....wow

i won ds204.........sweet

Default Delta sheep

Hey Snyd, Have you ever been up around the Jarvis or Riley creek area?
    I am on the walk in only schedule also. I chatted with a guy a couple of days ago who used his atv and killed a ram in the upper Jarvis area But he also claimed nobody was gonna make it walkin in from the Highway.Any thoughts on his comments?

Nope, never have been in there. But, I think mtcop71 may have hunted in there. Can't remember, might have to go read about his hunt again that he posted above.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by fulldraw View Post
    Hey Snyd, Have you ever been up around the Jarvis or Riley creek area?
    I am on the walk in only schedule also. I chatted with a guy a couple of days ago who used his atv and killed a ram in the upper Jarvis area But he also claimed nobody was gonna make it walkin in from the Highway.Any thoughts on his comments?
    Walking from the highway it's about 13 miles to the base of the foot hills.

Default i know a guy who went jarvis from the highway on foot

he actually went the gerstle creek trail all the way to spur glacier and turned around went back after some gun hunters landed on the tok side and crowded him......he then went up the jarvis creek trail and killed a 40 inch ram in july creek drainage with his bow.....so its possible.....the guy was an animal...but its still possible.........but he died a few years back so his knowledge of the area is gone .....i killed my ram up there on the west side of the highway.....if i had that tag again...thats where i'd go....i didn't see many sheep but they were all rams.21 total...in 5 days..where on scouting trips on the east side i'd see huge bands of 40 plus ewes and lambs....and seen maybe 3 rams over there that were worth looking at with a spotting scope
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

I assume you have already read this from ADFG: http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/index...heephunt.delta
    ďI come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. ď Fred Bear

Default Dcua 203

Yes, we're stoked,too. I drew DS203 this year....finally won a permit.My guy drew Tok (102) and harvested a nice ram in 2006. We are excited to be going back to the area ....and no devil's club!!(we usually hunt on the Kenai).
    In '06 we went in later in the season, were dropped off at the head of the Johnson(Charlie Boyd) and went up from there.From camp on top, regularly saw rams up over on the DCUA side.
    This year we are investing in the raft....checking out the Gerstle.
    As prev mentioned by Mtcop, contact Pristine Adventures...and we highly recomend Jim Cummings at Golden Eagle Outfitters.You need to book asap, things are booking fast.
    We are new to the site....nice to discover a forum like this.
    ....and, yes.....six months living/planning the dream until opener!!

THINK SHEEP!

Default Lucky

I hear that's a great hunt.
    Congrats

Default Gerstle

Fly in with the Cummings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast