Thread: .338 Win Mag- 225 TSX or 250 Swift A frames for brownies?

Default .338 Win Mag- 225 TSX or 250 Swift A frames for brownies?

Gents,
    I've got a spring brownie hunt planned and am looking for some sound advice (this may or may not be the place to get it, especially as the winter drags on!!). I'll be toting my .338 Win Mag along and am trying to decide which bullets to shoot. I've got reloads ready in 250 Swift A Frames and 225 TSX's. The A frames group pretty well but the TSX's shoot a great group. Should I carry the A frames because of the heavier weight or will the TSX's get the job done. Both are premium bullets and I know both can get the job done but does one have any advantage over the other??? Common sense says take the A frames because of the weight etc.
    Thoughts and comments?
    Thanks.
    Brian

I doubt you'll have troubles with either bullet you've mentioned. Both bullets are held in high regard.

I used a .375, 270gr TSX to whack a brown bear last fall. I was thoroughly impressed with the TSX's performance, and I will use them again, in a heartbeat.

The first shot broke both shoulders and kept going, a complete pass through. The second shot entered the ribs and paralleled the spine. The bullet stopped just inside the hide, near the base of the skull. The bullet penetrated three feet, or better, of brown bear and formed a perfect TSX mushroom. Retained weight was 100%.

Thumbs up 225 Tsx

Both excellent bullets, but I will suggest the 225 TSX with RL 19 or IMR 4350/H4350. Due to flatter trajectory.......perhaps a all around good bullet weight for the 338 Win.

I'm no expert but I've stuck 225 grain X-bullets in 3 browns and 1 grizz with no problems. Either bullet will serve you well. The only time one of the 225 Xs failed to exit was on a close range finishing shot lengthwise through the bear entering straight through the center of the chest. I didn't bother to see how far it penetrated but the bear was dead nonetheless. I'd pick the more accurate of the two. My two cents...

Default Great info, thanks

AK bushman, my thoughts exactly. I put together reloads using RL19 and at 100 yards I've got 3 shots touching each other on paper. Now if I can just shoot that straight in the field... I've considered just using that load when chasing moose, goats or bears.... I'm already sighted in for that round. I think I'll leave well enough alone and go shoot bears......

Thanks to all and keep the comments coming. Just reading everyones opinion is why I get on here....

Brian

Don't let bullet weight fool you. If you were able to retain both bullets from an animal, the 225-grain TSX would have more weight retention. The Swift A-Frame (one of the best premium bullets made, imo) claims 95% weight retention and the TSX will beat that.

about the 2 best bullets made, I have used them for some yrs now and find that both do an excellent job on what I hunt. I have quite a few as many as 40 collected bullets from both bears and moose and have seen more Swift A frames in full mushroom with virtually all weight intact than the Barnes. The Barnes would work excellent and do kill very well-amazing in fact but have noted in the comment that they hold up better than a Swift is not true in my humble opinion. I have petals that have broken off but did kill nonetheless as the bullet kept going till the offside elastic skin prevented it from exiting.

Premium bullets do in fact inccur great resistance in tough bone and wet skin etc. that what is true in one circumstance is not going to be in the next. Just to change note, I have finally used a North Fork this fall in the .338-06 with a 225grainer and at 50 yds upon big bone which stopped the bullet weighed in at 189 grains with a perfectly undetectable North Fork bullet. This subject was on a 58" bull moose.

In my .375RUM I too chose to reload both the 300 grain Swifts and the Barnes 270 grain and used the 270's the most with great success. The Barnes is a wonderful bullet but so is the Swift. That was the perfect bear gun but alas it was a Remington-sold it.

regards,

burned a few bucks lookin for my .338's favorite load. The 210grn TSX shot an incredible group, so I spent a few more bucks and built 100 more just like it. Now thats all I feed it for anything. I dont have a bullet for this and another one for that. I hunt everything with the .210grn TSX. It has the best of both worlds for the TSX's: almost as fast/flat as the 180grn, best BC of the TSX's (excluding the TTSX & MRX), and most retained energy down range. I like it.

Thanks gang. I appreciate all the great info. I like my 225 TSX's and i think I'll leave well enough alone......

Brian