Thread: Anyone ever Use GoLite Tents?

Default Anyone ever Use GoLite Tents?

While searching to the end of the internet studying the different tents made by everyone, I stumbled across these. You can get a GoLite Valhalla 4 with 56 sq ft of tent space with two doors and 2 vestibules for 6 lbs in a 4 season tent. It seems that the materials they are made of is similar to Bibler tents. Anyone have anything good or bad to say about GoLite tents. I didn't even know they made 4 season tents till tonight.Even the Valhalla 2+ has 27 sq ft of tent space. Check it out.

http://www.golite.com/product/proddetail.aspx?p=SH6138&s=1

LOL........i've known about those for quite some time now, I thought for sure you would have discovered them as well, otherwise I would have said something. The GoLite tents seem pretty nice and now they have an actual tarp tent, which is what I think your looking at. I considered them myself but I just couldn't commit to a single walled tent because of the condensation issue. I've never had issues in a double walled tent but technology has come a long way these days. I do like their teepee style tent but couldn't sell that one to the wife. With the bug nest and floor I think that would make a great float hunting setup.

Granted I've never seen them but by reading about them it doesn't seem that the material is at all like the Bibler. The Bibler is a tri laminate with a kind of fuzzy inside that displaces moisture so it can evaporate through the material. Like my old TNF. Personally if I were going to consider another single wall tent I would look no further than a Bibler. Just my .02.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

They have been making tarp tents for a while , and I new about them. But its appears that new for 08 are these 4 season tents (xanadu and valhala). Their website does leave a lot to be desired as far as description and dimensions, even pictures.

Honestly, they look like rain fly's with windows and if youn can buy an inner bug nest or whatever they call them then thats all they are. They are might expensive too and being a new product i'd have a hard time laying down the cash on one. Snyd's right, tif your going to spend that kind of jack, I'd go with a Bibler, they are a proven setup.

I hear ya Man, the thing is searching for a bombproof lightweight tent that actually has enough room for two guys is the goal. I am pretty much sold on the Allak from Hilleberg but I wish the inside of the tent was wider than 51". I was considering the Jannu because it is at least 57" wide inside. I really dont want to end up with a 8lb + tent if a guy doesn't have to. Theres lots of good 8lb + 4 season tents that wont break the bank if you know what I mean. They are all over Ebay new! The high price really comes with the low weight option or so it seems. I am going to Utah in the coming weeks and am lined out to look at the Allak and theres enough good mountaineering stores in Salt Lake City to check out most every option and I'll have 3 days to do it, so I am looking forward to that. Plan on checking out some sleeping bags and few other items too, that a guy cant put his hands on up here.

Good deal, you'll have fun down there checking out all that gear. You think the Allak is narrow?? My Exped Orion is only 47" wide but thats something I can live with since the vestibules are so roomy plus it will be mostly myself and the wife using it so I'm good with lack of roominess!

47" sure seems tight to me, unless your with your wife!...grin. I mean I am not that big of a guy and my shoulders from the outside of my tricep to the outside of my opposite tricep is 24" or better. So laying on your back with your arms at your sides I'd be touching shoulder to shoulder with a guy that has the same shoulder width span as me in a 48" wide tent. Snuggling to survive is one thing, snuggling just to snuggle is borderline spooning!...grin

Default ?????

Comparing Biblers to Golites isn't exactly apples to apples..........nonetheless, take a look at Henry Shires website........the tent Buck Nelson used in his walk across Alaska.........tough, lightweight gear.

Joe
    Where there's a hobble, there's hope.

Comparing GoLite 4 season tents with Henry Shire Tarp tents is not neccessarily a good comparison either. If you click on the link and look at the tent I was comparing you'll see. Its not one of their tarptent type shelters.

Default and?

Sorry, I thought you were trying to go lighter w/your gear..........no, the Shire tarp tents are not the same as what is pictured on the link.......I have a TiGoat Goatdome that is not on their website but is very similar to the Golite.......the difference is the TiGoat weighs in at 2lbs w/removeable floor and carbon poles........7'x7'(49sqft)...........weighs more w/the aluminum pole set.......

Sorry for the Shire info, just thought it was something else to consider.

Joe
    Where there's a hobble, there's hope.

Its a no go on the Golite that I provided a link for. Its made of the same material as the single wall black diamon tents which is the Epic material and it is water resistant, not "Waterproof". Man thats weird, why would you make a 4 season tent that doesn't have a waterproof exterior? Back at looking at the Allak!

Thumbs up off subject...

This is a bit off subject, but I got a tent for a float trip last year that I was extremely impressed with. Packs to the size of a football and is drum tight when put up. It is a single layer tent and is very well designed. Based on the Bibler and made my the same folks if I am not mistaken. It did not move an inch under driving rain and 20 mph winds last Sept. You hear the raindrops as if something is tapping a drum. Plenty of room for two with all your gear. Would fit three if needed. Take a look if you are in the market for high quality tent.

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catal...tail.cfm/BD178
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Those are the ones I was talking about.I have looked at those but what the heck is this, right below the tent description with an asterisk before it. Quote:

*EPIC by Nextec® fabrics are highly water resistant. This means they resist penetration by water under all but the most extreme conditions

I dont even understand that. A $589 tent that is water resistant unless the rain is realy coming down? I did some research on those Black Diamonds on some backacking sites where folks literally had water coming through the tent wall during heavy rainstorms. Yikes, that wont work too well up here.

Probably aimed more towards high altitude mountaineering. Cold dry air with lots of wind and snow. That thing looks like it will shed wind like crazy.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I didn't think of that Perry, but it makes sense.

Default Wrong...

I used the tent in an all night downpour in SW Alaska (Goodnews River) last September and it never leaked a drop. I read up on the tent extensively and never heard of anyone claiming it leaked water. It is waterproof as far as I am concerned. The tent can't be called waterproof, because the material can not be seam taped. You have to seam seal it yourself. $8 bottle of Silnet and 20 minutes of your time. No trouble there. Then it is waterproof. Goretex could not be called waterproof if it could not be seam taped either. Below is a quote (from an Alaskan retailer if it matters) that will better explain what I am saying. This is by far the nicest tent I have ever owned.

"The question is, how waterproof is this "water-resistant" tent? We get this question a lot and misinformation abounds around this question and the label "water-resistant Vs. waterproof". It all comes down to how the manufacturer of the fabric insists their fabric be labeled. For instance, if Gore-Tex is not seam-taped it cannot be called waterproof. Epic® cannot be seam-taped, so the tent as packaged from the manufacturer cannot be called "waterproof". Thus, the Epic® FABRIC is waterproof, but the seams are not. To get the tent leak proof you must seal the seams with an approved and included sealer like SilNett, by McNett. Most other sealants will not adhere to the fabric due to the more slippery silicon treated yarns that make up the Epic fabric."

Below are a few words from the Backpacking community....

Backpacker Magazine
    Editors' Choice Award March 2005

Backpacker Magazine
    Editors' Choice Award March 2004

And the below is from the manufacturer of the Epic fabric....

EPIC Fabric by Nextec
    EPIC by Nextec® is constructed by silicon-encapsulating individual fibers, making it breathable and extremely lightweight. EPIC offers better protection than DWR-treated fabrics that wash out over time and is more breathable than PU coatings or PTFE laminates including Gore-Tex, Conduit SL and Pertex®. EPIC is excellent for use in tents when heavy condensation is an issue and during rain and snow showers.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.