Thread: Which is worth more up here

Default Which is worth more up here

A new in box Browning auto in 30-06. Has a factory synthetic stock and is a rough looking blue fairly new only 2 years old at the max. It has only been cleaned since bought and never shot. The other possibility is a Winchester A 70 I think also in 30-06. Has maybe two boxes of factory ammo through it and has only been on one short hunt. It is blued with a nice wood stock. Good shooting rifle.

Currently none of these rifles are in my possession, but one soon will be. Most likely the Browning, not sure if I can get the Winchester from my mom I bought her for mothers day, even though she swore to never hunt again. I think that episode was just hormones. Both guns are in the family. Just depends on the deal. Gonna trade my Sig P229 to my little bro.

My dad wants the Browning for PWS, I want some money, and that is where the Winchester comes into play. I would then trade the browning to my mom and basically my dad would get the rifle. Thats is why I brought this up. Just trying to figure out what they would be worth and which would be better to sell. Thanks for any insight.

Default hmmmmmm

I'm confused but I'm going to see if I understand what you want to do.
    1. Your mom has a Winchester .30-06 that you gave her for Mother's Day and you THINK she no longer wants it because you heard her say she's all done hunting. (Do you understand much about how women think?)
    2. Now, you're thinking about trading your dad's Browning to your mom to get the Winchester. (How am I doing so far?) Does dad know about your plans and what is he going to use in PWS? What is he going to do to you when he finds out that you "traded" his rifle to his wife, your mother? Does this sound ethical to you? Not to me.
    3. Now, your'e planning on "trading" your dad's rifle to your mother so now it's her rifle but your dad will basically get to use it. So is dad going to have to ask permission from mom to use the rifle? How would he feel about that? Maybe mom wouldn't go along with your scheme, anyway.
    4. After you reclaim the Winchester that you gave to mom for Mother's Day, you're going to sell it to get money? Money for what?
    5. You propose to trade your Sig P229 pistol to little brother. Does he want it? Have you discussed it with him and what are you going to get in return? Is little bro at least 21 years old so he can legally own a pistol?
    OPTION 1: If your goal is to get money, you should sell your P229 and use that money. Then, you won't have to take back a Mother's Day gift, tick off mom, tick off dad by messing with his rifle and you won't have to manipulate little bro.

OPTION 2: Find employment and save your money. That's what I would do. Sounds like these rifles won't be in the family very long if they let you have your way.

Default akrstabout

Were you eating 'shrooms when you posted this? Maybe you'd been awake for 36 hours straight? I don't want to offend you, but it makes very little sense.

Default okay short version

I am trading my P229 to my little bro who is over 21. I am getting a browning a auto 30-06. My dad told my bro he would like the gun for PWS so he can leave the .338 at home. Instead of giving the browning to my dad and losing any possible money, he said he would pay me for it but... So instead of my parents having a gun lying around that does not get used I would essentially then trade the browning to my mom and take her rifle back and sell it. If that don't pan out then I would just sell the browning. But if the Winchester is worth more then I might possibly try and pursuade for that deal. I just don't want to take my moms gun if she might in fact go on a hunt with us, unless she shoulders the browning and really likes it. Then it would be her gun and my dad could use it in PWS. Does that help at all. The winchester has a little more sentimental value but not really. Just a gift and it never gets used. Just trying to figure if I should just sell the browning because it is new in the box instead of possibly upsetting my mom over the winchester, even though she doesn't use it, only shot a few times.

At first you said that the Browning is new in box then you said it was about 2 years old. If someone is buying the Browning to use, I don't think they will care much about the box. The box would be good to have for a collector's rifle but a synthetic BAR is hardly a collector piece. I suspect it is a Browning BAR rifle with synthetic stock. It sounds like the Winchester has been used a lot less than the Browning. If the Winchester 70 has the classic CRF bolt, I suspect it will be in demand. A lot of serious hunters don't want to carry a semi-auto rifle. Yet, Browning fans seem to really like the BAR. I suspect the market value of the wood stocked Winchester 70 is higher than your Browning. Check the Book of Gun Values. The Winchester might be easier to sell because it is bolt action and especially if it has CRF. Personally, if I had to choose, I would rather have the Winchester 70.

Quote Originally Posted by akav8r View Post
    Were you eating 'shrooms when you posted this? Maybe you'd been awake for 36 hours straight? I don't want to offend you, but it makes very little sense.
    You've got me laughing and spitting all over my computer screen because I was thinking the same thing when I read the original post but didn't know how to express it. After reading his second post, I'm thinking more like peyote caps.

Default not on shrooms or anything

My bro bought the Browning 2 years ago or less. He cleaned it when he brought it home and never shot it. He lives in South Carolina. Bought if deer and boar hunting but he is a ***** and never went. Just been sitting in the box, never fired.

It must be confusing, but will be a lot of exchanging but in the end it will all work out. I am just thinking about trading in the 229 for the glock and being done with it.

I guess I have a hard time writting what I am exactly thinking. Atleast some of you are getting a good laugh. Oh well. I guess I will figure it out.

Default CRF

What does CRF stand for. It has a really smooth action. All I can remember is model A 70. Bought it years ago for $250 at Payless in the valley. They had a huge going out of business sale and I got the last rifle.

Default CRF = Controlled Round Feed

CRF stands for Controlled Round Feed. That is the type of bolt on the Model 70 classic. It grabs the cartridge as it comes out of the magazine and guides it into the chamber. This is different from the Remington, Savage and Weatherby style bolts that are push feed. One of the most famous CRF bolts is the Mauser.

Default I would say it is CRF.

From what I remember it is similar to my ruger m 77. Thanks for the info. My dad told me tonight I can trade for Browning and then sell it, he doesn't have to have it. That way the Winchester stays in the family.

I just need to look up to see what the browning is worth. I think before it was around $700 or so. Just trying to figure out what would be a fair price to ask up here for it. I have handled it and looks nice.

Default BAR Long Track Stalker

According to the www.browning.com web site the MSRP is $1043. I am sure they don't sell for that much up here.

I guess I will just have to post it for sale and see what responses I get. Know of anyone who wants a good deal the rifle?

Default Get a Marlin

After perusing your posts and the responses, I think you should forget the whole thing, get a Marlin 1895 Guide Gun and shoot the heaviest possible loads out of it. That way, you'd get the snot punched out of you every time you shoot it. See, I figure it might joggle your brain cells into a more orderly fashion and if not, then you'll get a little shoulder abuse for scheming on your family, which, no matter how you cut it, is what you're doing.

Default not scheming on my family

my bro offered me his new browning a year and half ago for my sig at my other bros wedding. Now that I am trying to sell "my sig" and get a 10mm he told me Don't Sell It I Want It. I said that is fine. Then my dad came into the picture saying he would like to use the browning. My dad would take the browning and put a scope on it and call it a 50/50 ownership with my bro. All I care about is getting some money to offset the price of my new gun. If I get the browning I would be happy getting $500 for it and that would be a steal for a member to buy on a new gun.

I should have the left the story out and just mentioned guns. I didn't think the story would be that hard for you guys to follow, geeshe.

Default Humor at it's best

This thread is better than most of the drugs I even did. Who's on first?

To me it would be the winchester hands down.

But since it is for your dad you should have him pick. Which ever one he likes more will be worth more to him.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".