Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Alaskan Group Ride for the summer

  1. #1
    Member AKMuddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    458

    Default Alaskan Group Ride for the summer

    To all Alaskan riders,

    I have been kicking around the idea of an Alaskan Knik Glacier (Jim Creek) run this next summer based on the earlier "Grizzly Central Forum Group Ride" idea and talking to some local Alaskans. Seeing as we are so far away from everyone else in the lower 48, I figured we could do our own ride. I was originally planning on doing a "Rhino Run" (for the Alaska Outdoor Directory Forum Crowd) and a separate "Grizzly" run (for the Alaskan Grizzly Central Forum Crowd) during the summer. I was over at Performance Yamaha (Wasilla, Alaska) today trying to locate a camo grizzly for new Grizzly Central Forum member, BigityGrizity. No luck on the camo grizz today but I was talking to Ben (lead salesman) and I mentioned wanting to put together a group ride this summer. He informed me they were kicking around the same sort of idea. We talked "big picture" stuff for a while and he has some great ideas. I cannot and will not speak for or commit Performance Yamaha or Ben but what he wants to do sounds great. It would basically be a single event (unlike my dual event concept) that Performance Yamaha might sponsor (maybe other Sponsors as well). Anyone that wanted to ride could come out and ride, regardless of what brand quad/UTV you have. He was talking about possibly having food, drinks, and a band out at the staging area (where ever would be at Jim Creek...probably the parking lot). I suggested a small fee to cover food and other cost ($5 - $15 per person or maybe $25 per family). He also said they would like to have a few different quads for folks to test drive (Yamaha, of course). They want to do a "Promotional Event" as well as a "Customer Appreciation Event" all in one. Like I said before, I cannot speak for or commit Performance Yamaha or any of its employees to ANYTHING!!! We are still just kicking around ideas at this point. My idea was much less formal and complicated but having a sponsor would be great. We have enough riders up here to have an awesome turnout. If we can't make this happen, I still plan on doing a "Group Ride" at Jim Creek sometime this summer. If we get enough riders the sponsors will come to us. Word of mouth is an awesome machine.

    Alaskans, let me know what you are thinking and what ideas you have to make this event a reality. We will need volunteers for this so let me know if you want to help make this a reality.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    702

    Default

    Sounds like the spring cleanup without the work During the days of the arctictrails forum we had group rides all winter and summer up to the glacier, 20+ riders some days. Good luck!

  3. #3

    Default

    I prefer riding out at Eureka for a group ride, to many people already ride out of Jim Creek IMO.

  4. #4
    Member BigHinER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Colorado til I can get back to 'Laska.
    Posts
    261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    I prefer riding out at Eureka for a group ride, to many people already ride out of Jim Creek IMO.
    I agree. I think AKDSLDOG suggested it earlier about riding and camping at Eureka...July time frame. Curt, you still thinking about this?
    Originally Posted by BIGBOB
    Estimate of time of death appears to be same day he died.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    702

    Default

    I don't see where akmuddy is asking for suggestions on where to hold a group ride. He's trying to line one up for the summer at JC. If somebody wants to have one at Eureka they should start their own thread and put their own energy into it.
    Like we really need to hear once again that 45 doesn't know where to ride in that 25 mile long knik river valley to get away from people.

  6. #6
    Member AKMuddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    I don't see where akmuddy is asking for suggestions on where to hold a group ride. He's trying to line one up for the summer at JC. If somebody wants to have one at Eureka they should start their own thread and put their own energy into it.
    Like we really need to hear once again that 45 doesn't know where to ride in that 25 mile long knik river valley to get away from people.
    Ya, we are not asking for places to ride. We are doing this at Jim Creek. It comes down to logistics. It will be easier to get things like promotional tents, food, grills, large coolers, a band, band equipment, etc. to Jim Creek. It will also be easier to get more supplies if we need them by staying close to Palmer/Wasilla. Additionally, Jim Creek gives more people a choice of riding terrain without getting clogged up on one trail. An Eureka group ride sounds great also. Someone put together the details, post them, and I will be their.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

  7. #7

    Talking great idea

    I would be real interested in such a ride
    but do to work it would be nice to get
    a ride on sunday because in construction
    my saturdays are very limited and i know the wife
    would love to be on the back with me
    so my suggestion would be sunday but
    would even try saturday if i could pull it off
    Larry

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    I don't see where akmuddy is asking for suggestions on where to hold a group ride. He's trying to line one up for the summer at JC. If somebody wants to have one at Eureka they should start their own thread and put their own energy into it.
    Like we really need to hear once again that 45 doesn't know where to ride in that 25 mile long knik river valley to get away from people.
    Have your ride at Jim Creek along with half of SC Alaska. It was just a suggestion to ride Eureka, don't get your panties in a bunch over a suggestion.

  9. #9
    Member BigHinER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Colorado til I can get back to 'Laska.
    Posts
    261

    Default

    Some people are just so sensitive........
    Originally Posted by BIGBOB
    Estimate of time of death appears to be same day he died.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Have your ride at Jim Creek along with half of SC Alaska. It was just a suggestion to ride Eureka, don't get your panties in a bunch over a suggestion.
    Didn't ya see the smiley face. We all know you don't like JC.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigHinER View Post
    Some people are just so sensitive........
    Hey Biggy, you would still be out there LOST in Eureka driving around in circles following a GPS if it wasn't for me

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    Didn't ya see the smiley face. We all know you don't like JC.
    I never said I don't like riding Jim Creek, actually, I do like riding there but it gets way to crowded at times, especially on the weekends. So I prefer to ride where there aren't big crowds and I can go off in different directions.

  13. #13
    Member BigHinER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Colorado til I can get back to 'Laska.
    Posts
    261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    Hey Biggy, you would still be out there LOST in Eureka driving around in circles following a GPS if it wasn't for me
    Probably so..... or stuck.......BUT, any day stuck is better than any day in IRAQ!!!

    Originally Posted by BIGBOB
    Estimate of time of death appears to be same day he died.

  14. #14
    Member AKsoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,555

    Default

    BigH - I seem to see you in that position a lot. (I'll just start pushing now.) AKMuddy - sounds like a great idea. Count me in, and I'd love to help in any way I can. Just let me know what you need once you get the details ironed out.

    The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

    Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

  15. #15
    New member AKDSLDOG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska/Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    1,234

    Default

    MUDDY, I'm in if the date is right! Sounds like fun. I have put together a forum ride for this summer as well, July 19th, it is up at Eureka. There is a thread "sticky" in the general forum of all the details.

    Let me know the date and if you need some help!

    Curt

  16. #16
    Member AKMuddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKDSLDOG View Post
    MUDDY, I'm in if the date is right! Sounds like fun. I have put together a forum ride for this summer as well, July 19th, it is up at Eureka. There is a thread "sticky" in the general forum of all the details.

    Let me know the date and if you need some help!

    Curt
    AKDSLDOG,

    Thanks for the information. I will see if I can show for the Eureka ride. Sounds like fun. I will pass the information to my friends. They are always up for a good ride. Are you guys planning on camping over night at Eureka or return home at the end of the day?
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

  17. #17
    New member AKDSLDOG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska/Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    1,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKMuddy View Post
    AKDSLDOG,

    Thanks for the information. I will see if I can show for the Eureka ride. Sounds like fun. I will pass the information to my friends. They are always up for a good ride. Are you guys planning on camping over night at Eureka or return home at the end of the day?
    3 day camping trip, first camp sat night at the Little Oshetna River, sunday night second camp at the base of Monument (little Nelchina River), monday ride out and head home.

  18. #18
    Member BigHinER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Colorado til I can get back to 'Laska.
    Posts
    261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    BigH - I seem to see you in that position a lot. (I'll just start pushing now.) AKMuddy - sounds like a great idea. Count me in, and I'd love to help in any way I can. Just let me know what you need once you get the details ironed out.

    Well, you can't say I'm afraid of getting stuck...and you've only seen me that way twice . Now you've got a couple more hp you can ride up front.....and get stuck.
    Originally Posted by BIGBOB
    Estimate of time of death appears to be same day he died.

  19. #19
    Member AKsoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigHinER View Post
    Well, you can't say I'm afraid of getting stuck...and you've only seen me that way twice . Now you've got a couple more hp you can ride up front.....and get stuck.
    Get stuck? ME?

    The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

    Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •