Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Using Gulp! for sliver and halibut

Default Using Gulp! for sliver and halibut

Every try Berkley Gulp?
    What is it? Well it is a biodegradable scented swim bait or soft plastic lure. I have had great success with the 6” white grub for halibut on an 8 oz lead head. I have also slaughtered using the 9” squid on a longer 200 pound leader with a small 9/0 circle hook threaded through it. They will out fish any soft plastic as they have many times the scent dispersion of any other lure and probably put out way more scent than a frozen herring.

The big story is that this year we used exclusively the3" and 4” Gulp! Pogy swim bait in herring flavor and it out fished strip baits and herring baits when mooching for silvers in Seward.
    How can this be you ask? Well the Gulp is tough and rubber-like so not only does it put out a ton of herring flavored scent but they stay on the hook for many fish. What we found was that fishermen would fish the herring bait and once it gets bit, the bait loses it’s nice spin or flash and balls up like a lump of..well….a lump of dead fish.
    The Gulp on the other hand just keeps swimming like it is supposed to, so it can catch fish after it has been hammered over and over. Any of you who fished within sight of my boats had to see us bailing silvers daily….All on the little blue swim baits…Full disclosure, I am in fact a paid member of the Berkley pro staff. With that said, try one this summer and you will not go back to the soft messy bait…. check out the photo of this king from last summer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I feel like im watching tv. Now there's commercials in my favorite hunting forum. Whats next?

Excellent, thanks for sharing.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Quote Originally Posted by LungShot View Post
    I feel like im watching tv. Now there's commercials in my favorite hunting forum. Whats next?

Lunger,

no commercial, no hunting forum.... you clearly are confused.

I think any of the small boat sport fishing guys on this forum, who know me and have fished Seward can attest that there is much they can learn for me and my crew.

I have provided, over the last 6 years, all the information a recreational guy would need to catch fish in Res. Bay and surrounding areas on this forum and this tip is no different.

Take it or leave.....up to you.

Default Thanks capt

I know I've used them for dollies and lakeres on big lake and done very well. I can't compare them to live/dead bait as it is against the law there, but they certainly outperform my buddies other lures.

Thanks Capt. I appreciate the info. What are your thoughts on fishing Aialik Bay? It is a beautiful area and seems like a nice spot to overnight. How is the fishing in the upper bay? I am definitely going to keep some Gulp on board.

Quote Originally Posted by Tolman24 View Post
    Thanks Capt. I appreciate the info. What are your thoughts on fishing Aialik Bay? It is a beautiful area and seems like a nice spot to overnight. How is the fishing in the upper bay? I am definitely going to keep some Gulp on board.
    I think there are fish of all kinds in both Aialik Bay and Day Harbor. Both don't see too much pressure as fishermen have their sights set on places much farther away.

The area around Three Hole Bay and Chat Cove have produced great salmon fishing results when Pony cove is good. Just a lot fewer boats

Halibut can be found around Aialik Bay, look for bait on your sounder at 50 fathoms. Just watch the combination of an North or northeast wind and outgoing tide going around Cape Aialik or "Cape Fear" as we call it when those conditions exist. It can get hidious.

Same for the far side of Day harbor along the 50 fm edge. Bowen anchorge is a nice place to stay as it Tallus Bay and Driftwood bay. Both can be Productive for silvers and feeder kings. In the afternoon and early morning these areas can get a little competitive with the charters looking for silvers but are still most fishable for the small boater.

My best advice to look at how the charters are doing. If they are anchoring and loading up on Salmon, try it. If they are drifiting then don't drop your anchor in the middle of the their drift.

Either area is perfect for a smaller trailer boat to bring home the full Seward mixed bag of salmon, bottomfish and some halibut.

Thanks for the info. It's most definitly worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by AKCAPT View Post
    I think there are fish of all kinds in both Aialik Bay and Day Harbor. Both don't see too much pressure as fishermen have their sights set on places much farther away.
    Either area is perfect for a smaller trailer boat to bring home the full Seward mixed bag of salmon, bottomfish and some halibut.
    I appreciate the advice and willingness to share, especially since you make your living doing it.

I try my best not to get in the way of charters, especially anchoring in the middle of a drift. That is a way to make friends in a hurry.

I like to do a little fishing, sightseeing, and camping on my trips. These seem to be pretty nice areas if I keep an eye on the tides and weather. I am not opposed to anchoring in a little hideyhole until the weather clears if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by LungShot View Post
    You should take akcapt's advise since he has fished this fishery for a long time and is good at what he does. If you do a little research you can read some of akcapt's articles about boating in rough water and how to read weather. I know personally that I have learned a lot from some of the charter captains in Seward and come to be a lot better fisherman because of it. It takes a lot of trial and error to learn how to fish an area and most private boaters don't have the time nor the patience to become real productive at it. With all of the money people invest in saltwater fishing it would be in your best interest to listen to the advice and not make snide remarks, because one day he just may stop giving it.
    Boatless

Quote Originally Posted by AKCAPT View Post
    Lunger,

no commercial, no hunting forum.... you clearly are confused.

I think any of the small boat sport fishing guys on this forum, who know me and have fished Seward can attest that there is much they can learn for me and my crew.

I have provided, over the last 6 years, all the information a recreational guy would need to catch fish in Res. Bay and surrounding areas on this forum and this tip is no different.

Take it or leave.....up to you.
    Yeah - I meant hunting/fishing forum. Thank god you pointed that out so I could correct myself. No Im not confused. Sorry you took offense but your thread reads like Im reading an advertisment. Your not trying to sell anything here? Im sure you have given lots of advice like everyone says, and thats great but your thread sounded like a commercial to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Akbrownsfan View Post
    I know I've used them for dollies and lakeres on big lake and done very well. I can't compare them to live/dead bait as it is against the law there, but they certainly outperform my buddies other lures.
    they are considered bait so they are against the law in big lake...

heres the reg

bait means any substance applied to fishing gear for the purpose of attracting fish by scent, including fish eggs in any form, natural or preserved animal, fish, fish oil, shellfish, or insect parts, natural or processed vegetable matter, and natural or synthetic chemicals.
    note that it doesn't say what part of the fishing gear so that would mean any part of the fishing gear so by adding the plastic to the jig head you are bait fishing.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Come on Lunger

The nice thing about this forum is that when guys ask questions or make posts - no matter how basic or stupid noone jumps all over them. Unlike other forums that I post fishing reports on. This one is civil.

If you did not like the way" I wrote the post" fine but I am pretty sure noone else cares or for that matter agrees. To avoid this problem in the future when you see that I have posted a fishing tip or report, simply avoid reading it.

If you are looking for advertisments on this forum there is one banner selling gear and services after another all over this forum.

Yes, it may have sounded slightly like a commercial, but I'm all ears and eyes when it comes to fishing.

Information, that's one of the reasons why I like this site so well. Keep it a coming!

Thanks for sharing

Smile Thanks Ak. Capt.

Ak. Capt., thaks for sharing your vast experience. I will definitely buy some of those gulp baits. As far as I am concerned you and Capt. Steve of Pro FishnSea are the "Man" when it comes to charters out of Seward. I have been reading your posts and articles for a few years now and I appreciate the fact that you are willing to take your time to share with us. I have a good 26' boat and fish Seward a few times each year. My daughter and son-in-law of Piscatorial Pursuits have dealt with you before through their clients and they speak highly of you. The fact that you are on a manufactuers pay roll is a good thing and a reward for all your hard work and dedication to fishing. Please keep the posts comming. I may be booking a over nighter with you in July. I want to fish that Middleton Island. Did some one really pull your pants down when you were arm weary and fighting a big tuna? Good friends can never be trusted.

Talking 338....

First of all, the reason I never mention my charter service on this site is that I am merely trying to pass on information NOT trying to book clients. I have plenty of customers. The nice thing about this forum is that the thing everyone has in common is that they like to fish Alaska. I prefer to keep it that way.....Now for the rest of the story.... " the Puerto Vallarta DePantsing Incident......

The story of the de-pantsing while hooked up to a 140 pound yellowfin tuna on a halibut light tackle jigging rod is true. To make matters worse we were fishing with the editor in chief of Sportfishing Magazine who had a number of cameras on board so there was absolutly no chance for denying it. I can only hope that those photos do not find there way on to the internet some day......Never know about that kind of thing.

I would highly reccomend wearing suspenders if you fish with Captain Josh Temple in Puerto Vallarta. Or for that matter Captain Steve Zernia from Seward who has snapping photos inbetween histerical fits of laughter....

Default Thank you AKCAPT...

for your advice. As for the comments being made about the "commercial" it is obvious that the offended individual has never made a call to you to schedule a fishing trip as I know for a fact that you are booked up well in advance and have no need to sneakily solicit business in a post. I've called your company a few times in past years to book trips, and even early in the year I am typically too late!
    There are lots of novices (me of which I am king) who, as mentioned, do not have the time or money to invest heavily into sportfishing but love it none the less who greatly appreciate the advice, tips, info given here.
    I want to thank you personally and all the guys here for the information that has helped me in lots of ways.
    Jim

You make some really good posts AKCAPT. Thanks for sharing!

We all know there is a line between being informative and advertising. I don't think you've crossed it, and I think the mods would let you know if you did.

Thanks for the hookup!

I did really well on halibut in Dutch Harbor by tipping a 12oz jig with a 6" Gulp squid. Also caught plenty of black sea bass and Pacific ocean perch when I switched to an 8oz Diamond jig tipped with Gulp.... few grey cod too.

The guy who started this thread talked about "herring flavor" Gulp but there are just two "flavors", freshwater and saltwater. Like the saltwater 'swim minnow' in white. If that bait was flavored like a particular saltwater baitfish, then they'd obviously state the species on the package. When they make a bait that's a relatively close match to the length, shape, color, and swimming action of a specific bait species, they go ahead and call it whatever it looks like (squid, herring, sandworm, or whatever). But the reality is they're all the same formula.

Like AKPM said, be careful where you use these in the fresh water since they are considered bait. There are a LOT of fisheries that do not allow bait so make sure you are clear on the regs.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast