Thread: Nonresident Caribou Hunting in Unit 23 Questions?

Forest Lake, MN (30 miles north of Minneapolis)

Default Nonresident Caribou Hunting in Unit 23 Questions?

Hi All, I'm new to the site and am hoping I can get some answers or advice to some questions I have about caribou hunting in Unit 23. Myself and three friends will be hunting this September...flying out of Kotzebou. I have spent a lot of time reviewing the hunting regulations for Alaska (and will continue to do so) but I just want to be certain of a few things:

1) It appears Unit 23 is open to nonresidents for caribou hunting and that there is no permit drawing that needs to be entered...i.e. I can purchase a tag online...is this true? So a hunting license and big game caribou tag is all that is needed?
    2) Does a harvest tag come with the big game caribou tag or is this something that needs to be purchased seperate from those lincenses?
    3) Is there a deadline tags and licenses need to be purchased by?

Any other advice on tags and licensing? Or any general hunting trip advice is appreciated. This is our first hunting trip to Alaska.

Thank you very much - FL SNIPER

I'll take a stab at this...
    1) yes and yes
    2) buy a non res hunting license and a nonres bou harvest tag
    3) yes and no buy it before you start hunting or the season ends

All other advise ask for Walt he runs an equipment rental buisness out of Kotz and is arguably the most knowledgable man on the forum in regards to the NW Bou hunts.

LuJon was mostly right and Walt is a good resource.
    1) It appears Unit 23 is open to nonresidents for caribou hunting and that there is no permit drawing that needs to be entered...i.e. I can purchase a tag online...is this true? So a hunting license and big game caribou tag is all that is needed?
    Yes a big game hunting license ($85) and a non resident caribou tag ($325) is all you need. Limit one caribou per non resident.
    2) Does a harvest tag come with the big game caribou tag or is this something that needs to be purchased seperate from those lincenses?
    Harvest tags are what we resident get. You get the caribou tag, its just scemantics. There's a report card attached to the tag you need to turn in after the hunt.
    3) Is there a deadline tags and licenses need to be purchased by? You must have them in possession when you hunt, you can buy them right before you leave.

Caribou are a blast to hunt, good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    LuJon was mostly right and Walt is a good resource.
    Yes a big game hunting license ($85) and a non resident caribou tag ($325) is all you need. Limit one caribou per non resident.
    Harvest tags are what we resident get. You get the caribou tag, its just scemantics. There's a report card attached to the tag you need to turn in after the hunt.
    3) Is there a deadline tags and licenses need to be purchased by? You must have them in possession when you hunt, you can buy them right before you leave.

Caribou are a blast to hunt, good luck.
    The correct answer to #2 is a non-resident's tag is a metal locking tag which has to be attached to the animal. The harvest ticket (the same as residents get Bill) is separate and needed.
    Not sure if you can get those online, but you can get them from a license vendor.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

You can get it all online and they will mail it to you, license, tag, metal locking tag, regs, all of it. Keep in mind there's a 1 caribou limit for non-residents as well.

Point conceded, you can get them on line. When you get the "ticket" in the mail they send you the locking tag.

Thank you very much guys. Sounds like I can get all needed licenses and tags online prior to leaving for the hunt. I will need a nonresident hunting license and a big game caribou tag...with those I will get the nonresident locking metal tag to be put on the caribou and a harvest ticket to have in my possesion while I hunt. There's a report card attached to one of the tags that needs to be registered after the hunt. If I'm missing anything please let me know. Thanks again!

Default Fishing too!

Quote Originally Posted by FL SNIPER View Post
    Thank you very much guys. Sounds like I can get all needed licenses and tags online prior to leaving for the hunt. I will need a nonresident hunting license and a big game caribou tag...with those I will get the nonresident locking metal tag to be put on the caribou and a harvest ticket to have in my possesion while I hunt. There's a report card attached to one of the tags that needs to be registered after the hunt. If I'm missing anything please let me know. Thanks again!
    If you want to take advantage of some awesome char fishing up that way, be sure you purchase the nonresident fishing license too! It's not included with your hunting license.

Have a great trip!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Yes...I will for sure get a 7 day fishing license as well, in the hopes of an oppurtunity to fish...I love to fish here in Minnesota...and would love to in Alaska...especially to add to our dinners. Tackle will be limited I'm sure...so what's a good all around lure to throw for the char or other species of fish in those rivers? Inline spinners? Thanks again guys...I'm glad I found this site. FL

Default Also......

the grayling fishing ain't half bad either!!