Thread: Anybody Carve Dekes?

Default Anybody Carve Dekes?

If so, what material, species etc?

Ahhhh, my next project. I'm going to be making a few foamer decoys here in the very near future. I'm picking up the supplies in Anchorage in about two weeks and then will begin the carving and burlapping process when I finally get home to Cordova in late March. For simplicity reasons I'll be starting with divers. Most likely a dozen or so scoters for next season and then will start on canvasbacks and ringnecks for when I move back down south in the summer of 2009.

My plans right now are to carve the bodies out of several layers of door insulating foam bonded together and then attach either E. Allen heads or Herters heads and a composite decking keel. The process doesn't look too tough. We'll just have to see how much my creative ability can shine here. I've never been much of an artist or a builder, but I could tear stuff up with the best of them. Hopefully they'll turn out alright. For gunning decoys they don't need to be too fancy and divers aren't exactly sticklers for detail. That will no doubt be a good thing for me!!

I'll post up pics when the work starts.

a friend and i are about 30 decoys in on our foamer spread. Mostly cans, bills, and canada floaters.

RK, its a very simple procedure and a joy to hunt over them. I would suggest a purchase from autumn wings for heads. I have carved a few heads and boy, they look tough haha!

PS one 4x8 sheet of foam makes roughly 2 doz.

Well I'll be buying all my supplies in bulk. Not much other choice where I live. I can't just run back to the store if I come up short on something. I'm looking to put together about 5 dozen or so. I've already got more decoys than I know what to do with, but another 5 dozen won't hurt right?

Here are a few of my buddy's and mine.....

The redhead is a MLB just used for size comparison.The foamers we had turned out earlier this year didn't look to great. The few we have made recently are MUCH MUCH better.

They say you only get good by practise. I've seen some amazing foamers over on the Refuge forums. Some of those guys have some phenominal talent. That's where I've been getting my itch to make a few from.

I've carved about 40 out of bass wood. Mostly decorative but 1 set for a guy in Missouri to hunt over.

Smile Decoy Carving

I've been carving decoys for about 30 years. My specialty is gunning birds but I do carve some decoratives too. My favorite material is cedar. Red Cedar if I can get big enough blocks. No better rush than carving your own then having them draw in the birds.