Thread: Time For Me To Make It Simple

Default Time For Me To Make It Simple

This is a real get it right year for me since starting in 2009 I will be starting some serious hunts. I will have four rifles to do it all. My 257-300Wby will be used for coyote, varmints and target fun. My 270-300Wby will be used for the real business with everything from deer to moose. And starting next November I will be assembling the parts for my final build which will be a Mark V, 20” barrel with a brake, set in a B&C Metalist camo stock that is now on my 257-300Wby, with a low power Zeiss , shooting the classic 375 H&H cartridge. The 375 H&H will be my world class rifle for anything that has an attitude and would stomp, gore, bit or eat me, especially when hunting up close. I have already talked about the details with my Gun Smith and we will put a green and black web B&C Metalist stock on my 257-300Wby. My Smith says I will be able to get 2500fps out of a 20” barrel with a 300gr bullet in a 375 H&H.

This rifle will also take over the duty of my 350 Rem mag with a 20” barrel that I have bought recently to use in the thick cover down here in Mississippi. Long barreled rifles get in the way and are snagged easily in vines and underbrush and cannot be brought to bear rapidly. A short rifle is needed here to work not only on the ground due to cover, but from a tree stand where a quick response in different directions is needed on the spur of the moment. My Smith understands how to tweak and put together Mark V rifles which is evident in a 300Wby he made and the 257-300Wby, both being very accurate rifles. This way I do not have to pick between 10-15 rifles to do the job, just four to take anything from coyote to whatever I want. The 375 H&H will allow me ready access no matter where I am in the world to ammo if my hand loads are lost or forgotten and is accepted in most country’s of the world as a legal cartridge to use on big and dangerous game.

Being 59years old, I need to get down to the business of hunting and have the rifle situation solved and in place. I use to own a lot of guns but don’t like to be divided in my loyalty, having to choose between many cartridges and rifles as well as not liking a lot of clutter in reloading supplies and equipment at this point in my life. So it is time to keep it simple and down size the inventory, which I have done over the last 14 months. With a 300gr bullet and 77.5grs of WW760 will give 2500fps out of a 20" barrel and 67grs will give 2450fps out of a 20" barrel with H4895. That is still real good close up medicine for big bad stuff and sure fire death for the average big game at short and moderate distance. I just thought the 375 H&H would be more a efficient round for a short barrel than some of the super fast big bores. I have always admired the classic 375 H&H and ready ammo was also a consideration. Up close with short shots in cover and looking for possible wounded game the 375 H&H has enough energy up close to provide a good balance between energy and momentum to be sufficient and I have a real short handy rifle with lots of power. It still gives me over 4100ft pounds and this creates a good balance between energy and momentum with the 300gr bullet. Plus, I have two other very fast cartridges and will have a big up close thumper along with my 350 Rem Mag.

This choice allows me something from both worlds of thought that have been successful in the field. I have good company in having something from both worlds of thought and field experience, from Roy Weahterby to Elmer Keith and a whole bunch of others. I am planning some hunting trips one to Alaska and one to Africa (Tanzania). To Alaska with my brother and Tanzania with a co-worker. Also to Arizona each year as long as I am able to hunt. I will take one in 2009 and one in 2010 or 2011. I can not afford to do two big hunting trips in one year with going to Arizona each year which is my tradition. I only have off time and money enough to do one other big trip a year besides Arizona. I will have to borrow some for the Tanzania trip. Life is short and I have dreams I am pursuing and the day I stop dreaming is the day I am dead or in a nursing home. Here are some pictures again of the 350 Rem Mag I will use and put a Weaver on until I build the 375 H&H. My scope will be in this Friday or next Monday for my 350 Rem Mag.

Mod 7 350 Rem Mag that I have shown on another thread.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Man, only four rifles? May I NEVER have to simplify so thoroughly. I'm a year behind you, but I'm always looking for more rifles rather than cutting back.

Why else would I own a 7-08, 7x57, a 284, a 280, a 280AI, and a 7mm Rem Mag? We won't even go into my 25 caliber list. I love them all and shoot and hunt with them all, but admire your thought and planning in trying to pare back. Just couldn't do it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Man, only four rifles? May I NEVER have to simplify so thoroughly. I'm a year behind you, but I'm always looking for more rifles rather than cutting back.

Why else would I own a 7-08, 7x57, a 284, a 280, a 280AI, and a 7mm Rem Mag? We won't even go into my 25 caliber list. I love them all and shoot and hunt with them all, but admire your thought and planning in trying to pare back. Just couldn't do it myself.
    BrownBear, it is a personal choice because of time, energy, money and effort. My wife, job, grand children and friends mean a lot to me so that limits time and money. It is better to down size and have quality reloading and shooting time as I plan for my trips. Less guns, less time and money reloading and getting them ready. I do not like the clutter and all the stuff of my younger years. I just want to be the best at shooting what is needed to take care of any hunting situation I find myself in and so this is why I have decided to settle on these four. I sure do understand where you are. I reduced my inventory by 28 rifles over the last three years and most in the last 14 months. I will do some real tweaking on my Rem Mod 7 350Rem mag and of course it will run about 2800 when I get through with my 375 H&H build including action, barrel, stock, accuracy work, brake, scope and reloading (dies, bullets, powders). So I have enough to keep me busy with rifles, and load development. I am not through with load development with the 257-300wby and have not even started on the 270-300Wby because it is not here yet. So it will not be as though I won't have something to do when it comes to rifles, reloading, shooting and of course hunting.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I'm not being critical beartooth, and I think I understand. If I ever got into a position that I had to pare down, I'd be hard pressed to do as good a job as you have however. Four guns would just be tough for this guy who likes so many varieties of them.

To explain my own reaction, when I was a starving college student simultaneously holding down a full time job to support a wife and two kids, plus going to college full time, I had to "pare down" to the point of selling off a big collection of premium Model 70's and some other treasures to help pay all the college bills. I got down to a 22 rifle, an inherited cheap 12 gauge and a 308. They did the job and then some, keeping the family fed when there was basically no money for groceries.

But the pain of letting go those Model 70's along with a Parker 28 gauge kinda scared me for life, I guess. I just don't ever want to be in the position where I have to pare again.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I'm not being critical beartooth, and I think I understand. If I ever got into a position that I had to pare down, I'd be hard pressed to do as good a job as you have however. Four guns would just be tough for this guy who likes so many varieties of them.

To explain my own reaction, when I was a starving college student simultaneously holding down a full time job to support a wife and two kids, plus going to college full time, I had to "pare down" to the point of selling off a big collection of premium Model 70's and some other treasures to help pay all the college bills. I got down to a 22 rifle, an inherited cheap 12 gauge and a 308. They did the job and then some, keeping the family fed when there was basically no money for groceries.

But the pain of letting go those Model 70's along with a Parker 28 gauge kinda scared me for life, I guess. I just don't ever want to be in the position where I have to pare again.
    I truly understood where you were coming from and your concerns at this point. Man Model 70's, that would hurt!!!! Well, I actually feel good and a lot of pressure is off of me since I have come to this decision. It as taken a year and a half of debate with others, posting on forums for reactions and evaluating my own understanding of hunting, rifles, reloading and shooting from my experiences and others. After a concerted effort with a purpose in mind when I started posting on forums to cover the range from coyote to Big bad dangerous game, I have finally come to peace with myself and my choices. I am very happy with where I have decided to camp in the world of rifles, hunting, reloading and shooting. It really is peaceful and also will save a ton of money, emotions, time and experimenting. The only one I ever had to please was myself and I like where I am in my thinking.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

How is your hearing right now?

My BIL (Brother-In-Law), was hunting sheep years ago with a Savage package rifle in .300 Winnie. Rocks to his left, valley to his right, took the shot and lost half his hearing in his left ear, accompanied by constant tinnitus.

I know brakes work, but if you really need that level of recoil reduction just reduce the velocity of your load to say, 2250fps, and you will find it will be much more comfortable.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    How is your hearing right now?

My BIL (Brother-In-Law), was hunting sheep years ago with a Savage package rifle in .300 Winnie. Rocks to his left, valley to his right, took the shot and lost half his hearing in his left ear, accompanied by constant tinnitus.

I know brakes work, but if you really need that level of recoil reduction just reduce the velocity of your load to say, 2250fps, and you will find it will be much more comfortable.
    I really don't need it for the hunt only for the bench. I will have a screw on for the end of the barrel when hunting and remove the brake.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Oh.

Hey what happened to the .416?
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Oh.

Hey what happened to the .416?
    I sold it to help pay for the work on my 270-300Wby build. Counting the Ziess scope, B&C Metalist stock, barrel, Mark V receiver, bedding, free floating, special trigger, parts and labor, it came to an estimated 3800.00 dollars worth of custom rifle. The 416Wby paid for 2150.00 of the total cost. Here is a picture of the stock that will be on it. The rifle will be a flat black so this desert color will work good with it since it will be used mostly out west. This 270-300Wby will produce 4600 plus pounds of energy at muzzle with a 150gr bullet.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS