Thread: Best factory .270 and 30-06 ammo.

Default Best factory .270 and 30-06 ammo.

I shoot mostly handloads and I know which ones I build are the most accurate, but I don't know much about hunting performance with this caliber. Shooting critters with this caliber is something I haven't done much...with no recovered bullets. My handloading has gone by the wayside as I finish up my house so I am looking for factory ammo that has performed well for you on moose and inland grizzly sized targets.

Same story with my son's .270. I don't have time to develope loads for it so I'm looking for a good factory performer for moose.

Default 30-06 ammo

I handload, but seldom for my 2 30-06's anymore. I'm quite pleased with the Federal High Energy 180 grain Nosler Partition loads I've been using. My Ruger 77 with a 20" barrel gets MOA groups and attains an average of 2795 fps. So, I'm relatively confident that, from a 24" barrel, it should do the advertised 2880 fps.

I think there is a plethera of factory ammo that would do well in those cartridges. With both standard and premium bullets. I used federal premium nosler partitions 210 grain in 338 win mag and remington core-lokt in a 308 winchester. I think the rem load is a good pick for standard cartridges like the 270 and 30-06.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

I use 270 win. 130 gr. Rem. coreloct's on deer size game and have never seen a reason to "upgrade" to a premium bullet. With proper placement it'll drop em every time.
    Last edited by BIGBOB; 02-05-2008 at 08:36. Reason: no caliber given

It's really going to depend on what your gun likes best, but I always start with Federals and work my way from there.
    Now what ?

somewhat depends on what you are shooting at and at what range. .270 is a high velocity cartridge particularly in 130 grains. I prefer partitions as they can hold together if you jump a deer out of its bed at 45 yards and still open up at 300. Before i handloaded i had some ballistic tips and they made a horrible mess of a deer at 45 yards in spite of a heart shot. (fragments went to guts etc). Hornady interlock were only marginally better up to 100yds. I did have great success with 150 round nose core lokt express on moose. 1 through and through at 100yds and 1 120 grain mushroom found under the right scapula from frontal shot at 150yds. One shot kills. These bullets only gave 2 inch groups at 100 yds but cost 18 dollars a box and worked as well as i would expect partitions to. 2 inches might not set the world on fire but it is plenty accurate for moose. I have handloaded accubonds - very accurate for deer. All that said ,with the 3000+fps velocity potential I would look for factory ammo loaded with premium bullets (partition, barnes) for 130 grainers and sheep/deer, or a partition or core lokt 150 grainer for moose.

........ Aw just save yourself the trouble and get Nosler 150 partitions at about 2900fps. They will do anything you should expect a .270 to do I believe Federal premium loads them.

Good luck

Thumbs up

In both calibers I would give the Federal Fusions a try. I know some guys who shoot them and there rifles like them. The bullet stays together and mushrooms nicely so you don't get much blood shot or wasted meat.

Federal Premium 180g nosler partitions $34-40 per box

Hornady Light mag. 180 interlocks $30-35 per box

Both shoot around 2900 fps out of a 26 inch barrel the noslar will have a little better penetration but he hornady all littel bigger hole.

Default Ruger 77

Rick;
    Is your 20" barreled Ruger an Ultra-Light model? I simply can't get the velocity you mention out of 180 gr. Partitions by handloading for my old Ultra-Light. The best I have achieved is about 200 fps less. This is intrigueing, particularly for sheep hunting. What kind of accuracy are you getting?
    Jack.

My boy, 11, is already shooting the Fusions out of his .270. They were cheap and a good way to get him used to the rifle. His very first 100 yard group out of this Ruger 77 was 1 1/2" for 5 shots and three were under 3/4". This was shot prone using a backpack for a rest. I was stunned to say the least BTW my best group with my -06 was around 2" in the same shooting position.

I'm glad to hear that the bullet performed well on game.

Bernie- Is the BTSP that they list for the Hornady light magnums an Interlock?

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    My boy, 11, is already shooting the Fusions out of his .270. They were cheap and a good way to get him used to the rifle. His very first 100 yard group out of this Ruger 77 was 1 1/2" for 5 shots and three were under 3/4". This was shot prone using a backpack for a rest. I was stunned to say the least BTW my best group with my -06 was around 2" in the same shooting position.

I'm glad to hear that the bullet performed well on game.

Bernie- Is the BTSP that they list for the Hornady light magnums an Interlock?
    Yes at 30-06 speeds it holds together fine. I even killed a real nice brown bear with this ammo last spring.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I shoot mostly handloads and I know which ones I build are the most accurate, but I don't know much about hunting performance with this caliber. Shooting critters with this caliber is something I haven't done much...with no recovered bullets. My handloading has gone by the wayside as I finish up my house so I am looking for factory ammo that has performed well for you on moose and inland grizzly sized targets.

Same story with my son's .270. I don't have time to develope loads for it so I'm looking for a good factory performer for moose.
    Federal Premium w/180gr Barnes TSX shoots MOA out of my Ruger M77 .30-06. The Barnes 180gr TSX is an outstanding bullet. That said, the moose won't care if he/she is hit with a Nosler partition, A-frame, Barnes, or whatever ...just pick a premium bullet that works well in your gun and it should be tough enough to punch through a shoulder.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by BIGBOB View Post
    I use 270 win. 130 gr. Rem. coreloct's on deer size game and have never seen a reason to "upgrade" to a premium bullet. With proper placement it'll drop em every time.
    Core-Lokt are a low-cost option that work. That said, I gave up on them after seeing the backside of deer blown out too much when shooting them at less than 100 yards with my .30-06. Moving up to Barnes fixed those issues ...perfect 2" exit wound (or smaller) on thin-skinned stuff like deer, nice expansion and one-shot kills on larger tougher animals. Never tried a Partition ...but that's because I'm entirely happy with the Barnes. Why switch?

Brian

I just scored a R77 stainless 30-06 this morning in exchange for a couple small truck payments a guy owes me I'll have to try some of those Federals Brian...thanks.