Thread: Trying to do caribou hunt research

Default Trying to do caribou hunt research

Gad, I tried search and came up with 500 pages of gunk. I browsed around various transporter,guide services.

I just dont know where to begin. I really just want to be dropped off somewhere with a good chance of seeing some game.

Not really interested in the mulchatna. That area around Kotz looks good. What about bethel?

If you're looking at kotz, everyone has good things to say about Walt (northwestalaska.com) when it comes to organizing a hunt. On the other hand, martentrapper often steers people towards Bettles if they want to hunt the same caribou out of a less crowded hub. You could also drive up the Haul Road and get dropped off by Deltana outfitters (if they do drop hunts?) or Coyote Air, both of whom seem to get good reviews.

Default Easy

Call Kirk Sweetsir at Yukon Air Service. No crowds, lot's of 'bou. Google him.

Default Caribou

Rimfire: My partner and I are planning on doing an '09 caribou hunt and have considered Bethel as well but it is only a one caribou limit, it is the Mulchatna Herd, and they (air taxis/operators) wanted more to do a caribou/brown bear hunt.

We are looking at Kotzebue too, but would like to stay away froom the crowds. What I found out about OTZ is that you don't want to hire an air taxi that charges a flat fee per person as they'll drop one camp after another in the same location. Are you looking at a float or drop camp?

Personally, I don't want to go out of Bettles or Coldfoot as the drive up will be a lost day of hunting, the way I see it. Good luck.

Tim

tcc..........you can't drive to bettles. You fly there.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Bettles

I've got this years Caribou hunt info from Brooks Range Aviation and they suggest flying to Bettles (quoted fare with Wrights is $270) or driving to Grayling Lake (which they say is 12 North of the Prospect Airport and 5 to 5.5 hrs from FBKS) where they fly in and pick you up.

So although you cant drive to Bettles, apparently you can drive close enough for BRA to pick you up and put you in the bush from your vehicle. It won't save you any money though, that's for sure.

Default Caribou advice

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    Gad, I tried search and came up with 500 pages of gunk. I browsed around various transporter,guide services.

I just dont know where to begin. I really just want to be dropped off somewhere with a good chance of seeing some game.

Not really interested in the mulchatna. That area around Kotz looks good. What about bethel?
    Hi Matt,

Brian had a great suggestion about calling Walt up in Kotzebue. Walt is a class act and it would be hard to beat his service.

Drop me a PM and we can talk about some of your options!

Best regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I am probably restating the obvious, but there are a couple of pretty good books out there one by Larry Bartlett and another by the guy who posted right before me.

Flying out of Grayling lk w/ BRA willcost about 1000.00 more than them flying you out of Bettles....But thats the route Im going as well for 08' bou.

Default Caribou Hunt

I used Mike with Ak bush Sports last year, he flys out of Happy Valley and is fairly cheap. I rebooked with him for this year, so I was more than happy with his service. If you have any questions send me a PM

Default Second that

Last year the son and I, did a trip with Mike of Alaska Bush sports and had a great time. You wont go wrong and unlike kotz you can shot two bou. Giving you a second chance on a trophy of a life time.

Terry

Just curious, is there something wrong with the Mulchatna herd or is there a distance factor? I have hunted them but has been a few years.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by markopolo50 View Post
    Just curious, is there something wrong with the Mulchatna herd or is there a distance factor? I have hunted them but has been a few years.
    Thanks.
    Yep, the Mulchatna numbers are way down and the caribou don't seem to be frequenting the same areas as a few years ago. They are further away from traditional access points. As such, hunters have reported seeing fewer animals, particularly the large bulls that the Mulchatna is known for.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Yep, the Mulchatna numbers are way down and the caribou don't seem to be frequenting the same areas as a few years ago. They are further away from traditional access points. As such, hunters have reported seeing fewer animals, particularly the large bulls that the Mulchatna is known for.
    Thanks Brian, that is good to know. I will change my mind about the caribou/moose and go with moose only.