Thread: Kodiak 477 Goat

Default Kodiak 477 Goat

A buddy and I drew goat tags on the south end of the island. I am looking for any and all advice on goats. I have always wanted to hunt them but never have so I want to make this count.

I have pretty much been a swamp donkey hunter the last 11 years.

I have pretty much all the gear I need or should I say we. We are set up to go light.

I happen to be in Kodiak now for work so I went down to Seahawk Air today and spoke with him and his wife and that is probably who we will use.

What are some of the tricks to hunting goats besides getting high?

Any and all help appreciated.

Thanks
    Sam

Default Goats

Take enough gun and place your shot well. They are tough, tough critters!

Default S Kodiak

we hunted that last year, tough is right. My buddy had to shoot his 3 or 4 times in the ribs with a 350 Griffen and it still kept trying to climb off. Mine took 3 shoots with a 300wm before it stopped climbing. What time of year are you planning on going? We hit it first week in Sept and had great weather. Two goats down on the first day of hunting. We spent less than 72 hours on Kodiak from start to finish

I plan on moose hunting Sept 15 -25th so It will be the week before that or the week after. I am not sure.

man go after the moose hunt, will be a big difference in hair...if that matters to you.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default It's a tough hunt but worth it

Me and my main road dog drew and hunted that tag/zone two years in a row. Both times we flew with Seahawk Air. They are first rate. I know of others that have flown with Andrews Air and had a favorable experience with that operator as well.

We went on opening day the first year and shot a 9 1/4" nanny on the opener and an 8 3/4" billy on the second day. We landed on a lake two days before the opener and glassed the rocks and hunted deer. We could have taken deer but didn't want to brave the alders or blow our leg muscles for small deer (we would have however, had we glassed a larger buck deer).

The weather is always a crap shot, you have to plan for it. We wore Rivers West brand rain gear and I wouldn't use anything else. There were plenty of goats and we had our pick of the litter.

Advice: get in shape--do not underestimate how areobic this hunt is and how you have to have the legs for it. Otherwise; approach with a positive attitude; when the rain sets in and the fog slows hunting to a stop, stay positive and keep going. Practice your shooting at distance and extreme angles. consider the high shoulder shot to immediately anchor the animal. That "leap of death" goats are famous for is very true and makes an otherwise hard hunt much, much harder.

The second trip we went in September and the hair quaility was much better; we harvested two billies in the 8 1/2" range but with great hair; so nice we went with a rug mount. Also, read everything you can about judging trophy quality if that is important to you. If it isn't then take a shot that ensures an easier pack.

I'm new to this website and can't figure out how to post pics; I have quite a few.

Default Hair

We went with first week of Sept. the hair quality on both our billies was good. Your not going to gain enough a difference between early Sept and late Sept. Not a big difference until late Oct. Go earlierin Sept and have a better chance at avoiding bad weather and the goats not being pushed so much. You can also land High in early to Mid Sept

Default 477

I have used Seahawk two times and both were a pleasure. One thing to keep in mind in 477 is some of the goats may look approachable but after the Beaver fly's away and we hiked up to Goatville...The billy's never left there safety zones for a week straight, the nannies and kids came out for afternoon feedings and daily weather adjustments but the billy's wouldnt budge. We made some rookie mistakes, but when you are airborne be careful to check a few options even if it costs a bit more in airtime to look at two or three areas not just the first spot with goats present. (On this 477 hunt we landed at one of the number elevation lakes ie. 1651 feet) Roland offered to continue flying to look at other spots and we declined and I wish we would have checked out a few other spots.It gets intense when you have to make up your mind when airborne and time is short. We shot one goat that did the death roll and we spent 3 more days trying to get to it.No luck. Good news is We drew the next year(different area) and went back and scored two nice goats. good luck

Default Deer?

What was the deer situation like on that end of the island? Also, the bear's, run into many? We're a group of 4, with 2 having drawn that tag (477). Wondering how the hunting in general is, there? Thanks for any info.

Bigbear

Default 477

never saw a deer or a bear, just goats

October hunt in 477, No Deer and only 1 very large bear, 2 miles away which was plenty close. Lots of deer runs and scat but usually was looking in rocky areas not down in the valleys and brush.