Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wolf Gun???

Default Wolf Gun???

I am a Montana hunter and am anticapating opening of season on the dam yellowstone wolves. Wondering what you guys shoot them with and if you have any hints that will help me get more dogs. We made them extinct once for a reason. hahah, they are cool animals but they are too good at what they do; breed and eat good meat.

I think think I am going to get a .243 for them.
    Thanks for the help, and I am jelous of all of you!!!!

Talking 223

used to like my mini-14,but now love my ar-15

Default Caliber

Chris - what caliber is your AR-15 - .223. .308, or other?

Michael

Default 223 as stated

Michael,got my hands on a colt early model not to long ago and love it,the kick on it is nothing compared to the mini-14,have been talking to some buddies about scopeing it although a little leary for the way i use it it the field,snowmachine's and all.have had some suggestions and maybe this will give more.on my other post stated i got one but maybe with a tough scope my wife would have more ruffs to sew with.also i have the fix mount and that seems to limit my options as for what the friends say.

Default wolf gun

I've used whatever I've been carrying at the time . Shot my first with a .35 Remington and my second with a .444 . Your .243 is pretty much the ticket as " wolf guns " go in my book .

I want an AR in 204 for a do it all varmint rifle

Default anything is te right thing

logman,under stand,used to hunt with the lever 30/30 caught the biggest moose eating bast--- with it but with new firearms that do a much better job why not use them?

Default get the...

6mm Rock River or what ever brand AR it is the best rated caliber in the world.

204 is too lite for wolves unless real close. 223 is about right. I have a bushmaster and it works fine, good accuracy. So RR has a 6mm semi auto?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

One of my hunting partners prefers the 22 mag. I believe he uses a marlin semi -auto.

He said one shot to the head and they are toast. Even if they dont die on the spot they will fall and allow a second shot.

He has shot a few with it.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Fishman,

The 243 should be OK with heavy bullets.....maybe 85 TSX......a friend that has taken scores of wolves prefers a 250-3000 117gr....I have taken a couple with 22-250 and 243 58gr and found them to be lacking for longer ranges......

I use a 223 for predator hunting, but took my first wolf with a 30-06 at about 15 yards while out caribou hunting.

Up close, Mini-14 in .223, out to 100 yards. Farther out 30-06, out to 500 yards. Really far out .338-378 Weatherby, with Night Force 6X15X50, out to 800 yards.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

Default 7mm Rem Mag

is what I shot my first and only wolf so far with. 140 TSX definitely anchored him. I'd say a .243 would be a good wolf gun with pretty much whatever decent sized bullet you'd want to use in it. I'd probably try to stay away from really light bullets designed mostly for prairie dogs and things of that nature, but pretty much anything else should be sufficient. BTW, what part of MT are you from? I grew up in MT and have been all over the state.
    NRA Life Member, Prior F-16 crew chief.

Default Exactly what I use

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    One of my hunting partners prefers the 22 mag. I believe he uses a marlin semi -auto.

He said one shot to the head and they are toast. Even if they dont die on the spot they will fall and allow a second shot.

He has shot a few with it.
    One shot to the head ot heart area and it will drop, this out to 100y, up close is best. .223 makes too big of holes, this I know from experience. But I want to try out my AR-15 and son's .22-250 for a long shot on a pack if the chance presents itself. Next rifle for wolves will be a Ruger.204 which would be nice. Smaller the hole with best shot placement matters.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Quote Originally Posted by MARV1 View Post
    .223 makes too big of holes, this I know from experience.
    What type of bullets are you using? Soft-point? I use FMJ bullets when pursuing predators - nothing but a pinhole the size of the bullet.

A good 223 will take them much further out than 100 yds, the 53 tsx can be launched pretty quick, and will take deer sized game consistantly out to ranges folks consider too far for the little 223.

The .243 will push the 85 tsx ~3300 fps, and certainly isn't a bad choice.

Thanks for all the help guys, I apritiate it. and I like this site a lot. Hopefully I get to know some of you. In my .243, where is a cheap place to get good bullets.? The .204 in an AR would be pretty sweet, and would have to get one of those over an an AR 15. I live in Bozeman MT. I am a little ashamed of it, but I take full advantage of the Mountains unlike most people around here, and my wife has a teaching job here so oh-well. I am going to be coming to homer this summer for one of my friends weddings. Yeppy.

Mark

What bullet construction is best?

I know FMJ bullets will put a pencil hole with limited opposite side fur damage in the critter. Maybe that's safest, in case one gets a close shot with a Vmax or something and simply make a mess of it.

There have been a couple of TSX advocates here.

Do they make a mess of the pelt?

Default .338

.338 with 225 grain Swift A frame worked for this one...

Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast