Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retiring in AK??

Default Retiring in AK??

My Dad's dream all his life is to find a place in Alaska where he and my mom can settle down in the summers. They will probably keep a warm place in the winter due to mom's arthritis.

A few questions...

Where would be a place they could enjoy good fishing with access to a variety of species...my guess was Kenai peninsula??? He likes the saltwater fishing, but has never been river fishing.

Living arrangements: Live on a boat, an RV, or buy a cabin, rent a apartment of 3-4 months?? Real estate is pretty expensive from what I have seen.

Thanks for the info

Default summer living

I may be looking for a renter/house sitter. I'll try to pm you.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Wndshr View Post
    My Dad's dream all his life is to find a place in Alaska where he and my mom can settle down in the summers. They will probably keep a warm place in the winter due to mom's arthritis.

A few questions...

Where would be a place they could enjoy good fishing with access to a variety of species...my guess was Kenai peninsula???....
    It seems like everybody on the Railbelt wants to retire on the Kenai Peninsula. And the population explosion and fishing politics reflects that, too.

....He likes the saltwater fishing, but has never been river fishing.

Living arrangements: Live on a boat, an RV, or buy a cabin, rent a apartment of 3-4 months?? Real estate is pretty expensive from what I have seen......
    A live-on-boat retirement in the summer offers an outstanding option:

Southeast Alaska, with Prince William Sound in second place..........

Default You may want to join and search another forum too

Default Gota love those baby boomers......

I bet we will see much more of this in the following years. It will be interesting to see how it changes the communities and local services who cater to this 85 million member demographic. It may be similiar to the whole Arizona snowbird phenomena. Party all summer, take advantage of the local resources and leave the mess behind for us to clean up.

The scary part is when they use their new found time to impress their California or Western WA or Western, OR politics within their newly adopted "summer" community. Easy does it....we in Generation X still want to make a living and raise families here. Please don't turn this place into playground anymore than it already is.

Sincerely,

Generation X

Feel like you're swimming upstream?

That's just the way it is, and you're right. It's gonna get worse.

There's another way to look at it though. Lots of those folks coming up here are really neat people. They worked all their lives for what they have and they've got great stories to tell anyone who is interested enough to listen. Lots to learn from them.

And doncha know it, when they go south in the fall they're returning to land with their own variety of great fishing and hunting. Make friends while they're up here, and you could come away with free access to things like great pheasant and duck hunting, whitetail deer hunting, even elk hunting. Not to mention blue water winter fishing for big fish if they're on the southern coasts.

Yup. Works for me. Just cuzz once upon a time I helped a guy unsnarl a cheap spinning reel, I now have a friend for life and access to over 1800 acres of posted land in the midwest for pheasants, ducks, geese and whitetails. Heck yeah, he's welcome to come up here and fish beside me for a couple of months a year!

Ya gotta be careful who you diss, cuzz there's usually a lot more to them than their inexperience with Alaska conditions and traditions.

Default Nice post BrownBear

Great post BrownBear. My wife and I will likely be joining the Baby Boomer retirement move to (SE) Alaska. Yes, we will plan on heading down to the lower 48 for a few months in the winter to spend a week with each of our four kids and some time with friends, then maybe to the south for a month before heading back to AK. No, we won’t be spending all 12 months in AK, and no we may not gain from the PFD, but we will be fishing and hunting in AK during the spring, summer and fall, and hopefully will be contributing some of our professional experiences with the community we settle in, and those around us. We are not looking to party all summer, take advantage of the local resources and leave the mess behind us for others to clean up, but to enjoy the most beautiful state in the union and contribute what we can to make it better.

Default Amen to that

Yep that is what I am looking forward to but hopefully I can meet the residence requirement to once again become an Alaskan resident[I was in the 70's a resident of Kodiak]

Mike

Thumbs up Role Reversal

Quote Originally Posted by Coaldust View Post
    ....we in Generation X still want to make a living and raise families here. Please don't turn this place into playground anymore than it already is.

Sincerely,

Generation X
    I wonder if that's how people in Vegas and Hawaii think of Alaskans when we head down south for the winter.

Brownbear,

Like you I've met some great people throught the years.

....we in Generation X still want to make a living and raise families here. Please don't turn this place into playground anymore than it already is.

Sincerely,

Generation X

You know what is ironic about this statement....you have to wonder if this is what the REAL Alaska natives thought many years ago!

Just some food for thought....

Default Brownbear

Oh yea. I'm swimming upstream all right. There are only 35 million of us and 85 million of them. It's just an observation with no harm meant. There are good folks everywhere, but when I get cabin fever, I do enjoy sterotyping society with sweeping and fortuitous generalizations.

I say bring em' on.... along with all their retirement income. They worked hard to get where they are and they deserve to relax now.

Although I'm a little jealous... I wish I could have a vacant trophy home in the Tongass....

Default Brownbear

Oh yea. I'm swimming upstream all right. There are only 35 million of us and 85 million of them. It's just an observation with no harm meant. There are good folks everywhere, but when I get cabin fever, I do enjoy sterotyping society with sweeping and fortuitous generalizations.

I say bring em' on.... along with all their retirement income. They worked hard to get where they are and they deserve to relax now.

Although I'm a little jealous... I wish I could have a vacant trophy home in the Tongass....

You too!!!

Man, I got the cabin fever bad this year. Winter's already too long, and we're not half way through yet.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    You too!!!

Man, I got the cabin fever bad this year. Winter's already too long, and we're not half way through yet.

Don't say that!!!! I got fish fever already!!!

Jon

I sure dream of having a place up there too. But that's not going to happen any time soon.

So for now I will do my best to visit at least once a year to fish and play, as well as visit my friends and in-laws in Anchorage.

But I can relate to some of the few animosities.
    We moved to Colorado for about six years, and it was amazing to come across a few folks that resented anyone from California and Texas. It was said that the Californians want to change the place, and the Texans come up and trash the place.

All I was able to say to defend myself was, We all came from somewhere at some point in time...unless you were born a native. And yes, those (natives) are the one's that do have a right to speak out. It was their land before us white folks took over. Other than that, time and progression of acceptance should neutralize bitterness. We can't control what our ancestors did, other than accept each other for who we presently are.

I too welcome anyone to be my neighbor, as long as we can respect each other. Growth and the want to venture to greener pastures is just a way of life.

I've got to add, I have never had a negative encounter with a Alaskan resident. I've made very close friends up there over the years. That is another main reason I like Alaska so much.

Sorry for the rant...

Default Hammer Hog

"I've got to add, I have never had a negative encounter with a Alaskan resident. I've made very close friends up there over the years. That is another main reason I like Alaska so much."

That's a good point you made Hammer Hog. I have noticed that as well. After awhile, it's easy to tell the residents from the folks who are just here because of their assignment or job obligation. It's easy to build life-long relationships and I believe the Alaska lifestyle has much to do with that.

Besides the Glenn Highway, I can say the few negative encounters I have experienced with people in Alaska have been with touristas in the S.E cruise ship towns. I only speculate they were still strung-tight and locked in the pissed-off position due to their hurry-hurry, scarcity mentality, go-get em', competitive lifestyle they flourish in "outside". I say, give them a couple years to heal-up their spirits in Alaska and they will be fine.

Coaldust

Default Thought Provoking

Quote Originally Posted by Wndshr View Post

Sincerely,

Generation X

You know what is ironic about this statement....you have to wonder if this is what the REAL Alaska natives thought many years ago!

Just some food for thought....
    Wndshr,

Funny you should mention that. My Tlingit and Haida friends remind me sometimes that I'm trespassing, but they tolorate me because I embrace and respect their culture and lifestyle. They were here since immemorial and have been managing the resources of the Tongass very well.

southern southeast has great saltwater fishing all year
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Coaldust View Post
    Gota love those baby boomers......

I bet we will see much more of this in the following years. It will be interesting to see how it changes the communities and local services who cater to this 85 million member demographic. It may be similiar to the whole Arizona snowbird phenomena. Party all summer, take advantage of the local resources and leave the mess behind for us to clean up......
    Maybe. But I've always figured that the reality they deserve will come back to Boomers.

After killing off over 30 million of their children, I doubt the Social Security net (including Medicare, and based on a Ponzi scheme, not on investment) will be there for them.

So, if the Boom was between 1946 and 1964, the middle year was 1955. Add 65 to that (the age of SS "retirement"), and we get to the year 2020. Give or take 7 years, and the collapse of the system will likely occur between 2013 and 2027, and certainly no later than 2034 (1964 + 70 years of age).

Boomers don't deserve to retire. We broke everything; economically, socially, morally, and in every other way.

......The scary part is when they use their new found time to impress their California or Western WA or Western, OR politics within their newly adopted "summer" community......
    They've already done that (or think they have) by buying up all the small town newspapers.

A friend of mine used to have a bumper sticker plastered on his car. It said "Why Should I Have to Press 1 for English?"

I was visiting him and we drove to the Dimond Mall. When we came out, there was a native guy standing by his car. When we got up to him he pointed at the bumper sticker and asked:

"Maybe because you don't speak Yupiq? Athapaskan? Tlingit?"

My friend was really embarrassed, and when we got home he asked for help scraping it off the bumper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast