Thread: Why the decrease in goat success rates?

Default Why the decrease in goat success rates?

I was looking at past info on some of the Kodiak Goat hunts. It looks like success rates have been falling off for the last few years, for instance, the two road system hunts have decreased from 70-85% success rates in 2005 to 60-70% success rates in 2006 and last year was 30-57% success rates. Was there a harsh winter over the last year or two, or have there been other factors that caused this decline? I scoped out some of the other drawing hunts on Kodiak and it looks like the trends are similar. Are the goats just getting smarter from the pressure?

Access and Weather control a lot of it! I flew over the south end of Kodiak this past Sept and finding goats is easy, finding a place to land within reasonable distance is a whole nother story. Same places get hit over and over and getting in and out of those places can be quite tricky to undoable, even for the best pilots.. But theres lots of goats.

How about all the people who put in for hunts that have no idea what area they are in until they win then realize they have no business trying to hunt there. Or maybe It's just lazier hunters? Or like you said "smarter goats". Probably a combination of a few things. Others being Goat population/number of tags issued.

What were the differences through the years in amount of hunters? A increase in hunters will usually drive down the success rate.

Kodiak goats have become very popular with other Alaskans the past few years. The roadsystem hunts used to be fairly easy for Kodiak residents to draw. As a local you know the places to access and where the goats are. I helped a gal (a friend of a friends wife) from Anchorage last fall. She had one weekend to hunt and they had no idea where to go. She flew in at 8 am and had a goat on the ground at 1:30. I knew the area held goats because I had seen them in there the previous 4 weekends while deer hunting. Had they not been put in contact with me they probably wouldn't have taken a goat in the 2 days they planned to hunt. Nothing against off islanders, but they just don't have the time on the ground that locals do.
    Last winter had very little impact on the goat herd.

Talking

I thought that might be a part of it. I've been seeing alot more on these hunts on the web, and it looks like more outsiders are getting the tags now than Kodiak locals. With the south island road hunt, 27 of the 60 permits this year were to Kodiakans, and maybe 5 were out of staters. Over the last few years, 40 of the 60 permit holders actually hunted. I didn't dive that deep in the information to see what it was before that, but I bet that is one of the larger parts of it.

I plan to hunt for at least a week when I come down. If you got any information for me that could make my trip a little shorter, I'd appreciate it.

Talking

Sure, here's a couple gems.
    #1 Come when the sun is shining
    #2 Hike hard
    #3 Shoot straight
    #4 Refer back to #1

Weather was a factor for me last year. Only had 1 and 1/2 good day out of a whole week. Don't know if I can afford to do it anymore either, price of charter has been climbing steadily. Think I am going to head south to Costa Rica where I can shower, fish, and play with the hot Chicas everyday for the same price .

Quote Originally Posted by love2hunt View Post
    Weather was a factor for me last year. Only had 1 and 1/2 good day out of a whole week. .
    I hear ya, and believe that definately plays a part, at least it did for me. I went there to hunt goats last year and never hunted goats! Spent 3 days on Kodiak waiting for the weather to clear, it never did, and then went ahead and gambled on a more difficult drop and a good hump to goats but landed on a lake that was covered with brown bears as salmon where flowing into it via a creek. Didn't have a brown bear tag and was sure I'd need one by the weeks end....grin. On our best judgement we ended up flying to another place with no salmon and no obvious bear congregations. So I ended up with the most expensive 2 point blacktail in history and got an up close and personal with the brownie at the same time! Saw lots of goats from the air though!

Quote Originally Posted by TBinKodiak View Post
    Sure, here's a couple gems.
    #1 Come when the sun is shining
    #2 Hike hard
    #3 Shoot straight
    #4 Refer back to #1
    So I take it some pre scouting and GPS coordinates from you are out of the question? just kiddin'.

I'll be working my tail off on this one, plan to take getting a permit like this pretty serious as I don't have much faith that I'll be getting many more of these.

Red face

Well I do have an Achiles heel called beer. God knows I've sold out some great hunting and fishing spots over the years after a few pints.

Default bad hunters?

two years ago i went to kodiak on a goat hunt with some people who shall remain nameless....weather sucked the lake we were on rose over 18 inches and we almost had to move our camp....the little run-off creekscoming off the mountain were gushing white by the third day...i was one of three goat tag holders.....well we finaly got to see goats on day three we get on one goat.....3 shots fired....no goat... two days later we get to see goats again...i split off and go to head of valley alone after a billy back there while the kid who shot at a goat two days ago and the older guy who had a tag go after another closer goat.....i was climbing up after my goat when world war three broke out across the valley...i think they shot eleven times...that was one scared goat...i thought they got em when he disappeared behind a ridge...but he kept going....i after all the shots all the billies on the ridges around found a hole to hide in or a rock to back up to.......the clouds dropped and it started to hail so i got up and started running at the billy i was after.....i guess he felt safe int eh clouds and came out of his hidey hole and came right for me.....it did take two shots to get him and all that night and the next day to bring it all back to camp by myself....but it was worth it....that was the SW kodiak hunt....thats all i have been allowed to release on the location...i was sworn to secrecy....but the air taxis down there always have people there...there were people there when we got there and i know of atleast two other parties that went in later...i killed my goat on October 10th
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Quote Originally Posted by TBinKodiak View Post
    Well I do have an Achiles heel called beer. God knows I've sold out some great hunting and fishing spots over the years after a few pints.
    Help me get a goat and it'll be like Oktoberfest at your house.

I wasn't looking for free rides to get a goat, just hoping to get some info to get started. Don't have any idea how much road system I have to work with, and where a good place to start might be. I'm planning on bringing in gear to pack in and set up a camp several miles back if need be. Will I be running into a lot of bears on the south system?

sharks, congrats on getting the goat. Was that on the road system portion, or the SW kodiak portion? I'm hoping to get off the roads and away from the crowds so I don't have to have that sort of experience.

there are a few ridges on the south road system you can hunt even in the fog and still get on the goats, get up there and wait the weather out if you can, those goats move so much half the time you'll shoot one within 500 yards of the tent, they like the top 300 feet, they like passes and bowls since there isn't to much for straight up and down rock over there other than shaft peak most are in the grass and on benches. i'll give you a GPS spot for a few of the bigger goats i seen last year, my clients didn't draw any tags and i don't drink beer so you can give mine to TB, he helped me out with a goat hunt last fall, so i owe him anyway
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Shark, why is that goat black? looks like he was rolling in tar, was his hide good?

Default dirty goat

yeah the weather was real bad and he was dirty...and wet...and he rolled about 700 feet down the hill plus looking for a good billy you want to look for one with dirty hips....cuz what they do is they piss in their bed and kick it up and then lay in it...thats why my goats back end is dirtier than his front...he was a big ******* though....i had 160lbs of meat ....the tannery i sent it too cleaned it up nice though....with out bleaching it.....i was actually bummed it turned out so clean...i call him my stone goat

Default not on the road system

he was in deadman bay....somewhere

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help.

Oktoberfest you say!! PM sent....