Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backup handgun safety

Default Backup handgun safety

Does your backup handgun have a safety? I have a S&W 44 mag, 629 classic, 8-3/8" barrel. No safety, sure it is a revolver but I am not sure I want a backup gun with no safety. I was curious what you guys thought. I may get a new gun. This is for a moose float trip in the future. I have also considered no backup gun if I rifle hunt.

Keep it in a holster that has a strap around the hammer and there is no danger of it going off. If you are using it as a backup gun the safety is just one more thing to remember before the bear eats you. The only thing I would change in your setup would be a shorter barrel around 5.5".

Default no back up

Just one less thing you have to carry.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by DonV View Post
    Does your backup handgun have a safety? I have a S&W 44 mag, 629 classic, 8-3/8" barrel. No safety, sure it is a revolver but I am not sure I want a backup gun with no safety.....
    Revolvers with safeties? Are there any out there at all?

That's why I carry revolvers, especially DAO with bobbed hammers. They're extremely safe while carrying in "Condition One", even without a safety.

I carry a Taurus revolver in .44 mag. No safety there. When hiking/fishing, I generally carry it with only five rounds in the chamber, leaving open the top chamber with the hammer on it. That way if I were to fall or the gun was accidentally dropped, it could not accidentally go off just with a jar of the hammer. For it to go off, the hammer has to cock and release.

Being around shotguns and rifle most of my life and handguns only recently it has never sat right with me having no safety, expecially in the middle of nowhere AK. I am careful but it makes me nervous, thanks for the input.

If you really need a safety then just sell the 629 and pick up a Ruger blackhawk. Since it is a single action you would have to pull back the hammer to fire it which is a safety of sorts. Then practice with it till you can draw and cock it quickly/safely cause if you are using your handgun for defense then you probaly don't have a whole lot of time! You tube has a video of a float guide quick drawing against a charging bear and it is spooky!

Default Sounds to me like you could use more experience

handling handguns...put a few hundred rounds through it and get really familiar with every aspect of your gun...

Default safety

I have carried handguns for close to 40 years. Single action autos in the 1911 and Browning Hi Power style, Glocks and a bunch of S&W revolvers and a few Ruger single action revolvers. They would never go off unless I pulled the trigger. A good quality holster and belt are important. If you are uncomfortable with the revolver then you should probably not carry it. It takes training, time and dedication to really learn how to "run the gun". If you are not willing to do that you are flirting with disaster. Semi-autos are a different gun then revolvers. I like them both and prefer the revolver if big game is in the picture. Just remember the only safety you can trust is the one between your ears.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Fear Not:

Most Modern Revolvers, Double Action, or Single Action, DO have a Safety that is BUILT IN.

It is called a HAMMER BLOCK. Even a blow to the hammer will not allow them to fire, because the the trigger would have to be pulled first to move the block out of the way.

As Mark says, "They're extremely safe".

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Thanks guys, and you are right I am far from very familiar with my handgun and I doubt I would take the time to be so that is a consideration. I have a year or two before my AK float hunt to think it over and this gives me a lot to think about.

Thanks DonV Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Fear Not:

Most Modern Revolvers, Double Action, or Single Action, DO have a Safety that is BUILT IN.

It is called a HAMMER BLOCK. Even a blow to the hammer will not allow them to fire, because the the trigger would have to be pulled first to move the block out of the way.

As Mark says, "They're extremely safe".

Smitty of the North
    exactly. I carry double actions also.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

I wonder about this and ponder (another safety??) Lawyers like to have more safetys on our guns and don't know any thing about them Hmmm ponder ponder. If you are unsure about this get local help to learn fire arm safety and learn it well and one of the first rules is know how to use a weapon properly so as not to be a danger to yourself or others.

Default transfer bars

Like everybody else here I've bought and sold more handguns than I can remember and , like everybody here , I've always rolled my own . The only close call I've ever had was with one of the old three-screw Super Blackhawks . Me and a girlfriend were shooting cans in the middle of January , colder than hell , I had reloaded the cylinder and was letting the hammer down when it slipped just a bit , cold fingers is the excuse and it fired . I didn't like this girl all that much , always jumping around too much and happened to be standing fairly close to where the .44 slug blew a fair size chunk of ice off the gravel road . As I said I didn't like her all that much but it still was a close call . moral of the story , be careful with the old , pre-transfer bar , Rugers .

I carry a 629 in a holster with a saftey strap. I feel comfortable and I'm not really a handgun guy. Use it when bowhunting or fishing in an area with known bear activity. I always leave the handgun at home if I'm rifle hunting.

Does your backup handgun have a safety?
    Yes, they all do, and they are all revolvers.

I have a S&W 44 mag, 629 classic, 8-3/8" barrel. No safety, sure it is a revolver but I am not sure I want a backup gun with no safety.
    Actually, it does.

I was curious what you guys thought.
    I think it has a safety.

I may get a new gun. This is for a moose float trip in the future. I have also considered no backup gun if I rifle hunt.
    From backup w/ safety to no backup? Confusing thought there.

Ok, my thoughts:

The word "safety" is generic and includes several different types, and philosophies. One philosophy of safety design is that if it takes extra work to operate the action, then that inhibits or prevents accidental firing - thus a safety feature.

Back when single action revolvers were new, and problematic, experienced shooters carried it with the hammer on an empty chamber - thus a safety (not a feature, but an owner/operator action to put the gun in a safe condition).

Nowadays, any revolver you buy will have either a transfer bar or hammer block, both "safeties". These prevent accidental discharge of the weapon from dropping, bumping, or other misuse.

Semi-autos use manually engaged safeties (rather than the automatic safeties on revolvers). The manually engaged safeties have the added benefit of not allowing the gun to fire if the trigger is pulled.

Personally, if I were out moose hunting and standing 40 feet from a charging bear I'd spooked, I'd want something uncomplicated and trustworthy, with an automatic safety so that I don't have to do anything but pee myself, point at the bear, and shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by WH7DA View Post
    pee myself, point at the bear, and shoot.
    Mark your ground first 'eh ?

Quote Originally Posted by WH7DA View Post
    Personally, if I were out moose hunting and standing 40 feet from a charging bear I'd spooked, I'd want something uncomplicated and trustworthy, with an automatic safety so that I don't have to do anything but pee myself, point at the bear, and shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by KRS View Post
    Mark your ground first 'eh ?

Hey at that point, can you think of anything better to do?...hehe

Jon

Default ...if you're gonna...

If you're gonna shoot, shoot everything you got!

I have a 44 Super Redhawk in 5.6" barrel and its a revolver. Love it because if you end up squezzing one off, it must of been intensional. That in itself is the safety feature.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast