Thread: Drawn a Koyukuk River Moose tag

Default Drawn a Koyukuk River Moose tag

Greetings- My hunting partner drew a Koyukuk river area moose tag for this fall. I will be joining him on the hunt- does anyone have any input on the area as far as transporters or outfitters? Thank you very much!

Jeff

Charlie Green, Galena AK, (907) 656-1601, transporter.

Moose hunter may not use aircraft for transportation to the Koyukuk.

Default Denali Hunts

Stan Parkerson owns and operates Denali Hunts. He specializes in bowhunts. I know he used to guide on the Koyukuk and his website shows that he is hunting in Units 23 and 24. I have known him a long time. He is a professional pilot, currently flying 121 Cargo, and owns his own plane that he has operated for years. I find him to be honest and easy to get along with.
    Labman is correct, assuming you are hunting in the Refuge, except that moose hunters can fly into and out of airports such as Koyukuk, Huslia, Hughes, etc.
    Depending on where you drew, it can be a long boat ride from Galena. Plan on roughly a 4 to 6 hour ride.
    Maybe we'll see you up there.

Default Charlie Green

Jeff,

As Doug has mentioned, call Charlie Green. I have used him as my transporter and I have nothing but good things to say about him.

Regards,

yhc

Usually people who hunt this area with permits boat up the Yukon and then up the Koyukuk.
    We are going this year. Last couple of years one of my friends party shot a 71, 69 and a 66.
    I don't expect anything this big but the experience should be great. We didnt draw permits so that only means F&G will cut the antlers (why they do this is a mystery) but we can still have great photos, memories and lots of meat!
    Tennessee

Default Snowwolfe

They cut the antlers to reduce pressure from Urban hunters. As a subsistence hunt, theoretically you don't need the antlers. We saw a reduction in hunters when the new regs first came into effect. People traveling that far did not want to shoot a big trophy bull and lose the trophy value. The first year they did it you got to keep the piece that was cut off. After that they changed the rules and you have to relinquish the extra piece.
    Our party this year drew 3 tags. While that sounds good, each is in a different area. It will be difficult to keep the camp intact while trying to hunt 60 to 90 miles apart. I will be there one way or the other. If it works out that I get to chase bulls with my bow, so be it. If not, I will work just as hard to help the others be successful.