Thread: Seeking 405 Winchester Load Data

Default Seeking 405 Winchester Load Data

I recently purchased a Ruger #1 in 405 Winchester and look forward to working up some handloads for my new toy. I alreayd have purchased factory built ammo and hard-cast 287 grn Buffalo Arms bullets, along with several boxes of brass. Midway USA is shipping me several boxes of Horandy 300 grn SP and FP as I write.

After looking through several relaoding manuals, I am coming up rather short on finding good hunting loads. I live in Tenn, so I am not looking for a missile load but would like to have some loads in the 2,000 - 2,100 ft per sq range.

If you would be kind enough to share you hand load data, I would be most appreciative. Any and all loads will be reviewed and stored for later construction.

I did quite a bit of loading for the 405 in a No.1 last year but didn't get to the cast bullets. I would like to try those bullets though. I'm going to order some for my 450/400. Are those sized to .412"? .411" to .412" will be about right for the Ruger. I use that bullet for my 40-70 Sharps straight and have used it with the 40-65 and 40-82.

I hope you have some RL-7 on hand, it seems to be the powder for this one and has been a good performer for all my straight sided rimmed cases. I'll be at my notes tonite and can give you some details. If you want velocity in the 2000 fps range the RL-7 is just the ticket. H322 is a close second.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default 405 Winchester Load

Yes...Buffalo Bullets are sized to .412. Purchased 2 boxes (100 per box) from MidwayUsa for around $20 plus shipping.

My Hornady dies appear to shave off just a small amount of lead each time but so far, these loads (49 grns of H4895 & WLR primer and Hornady brass) brass are all striking within .75 center hole @ 150 yards.

I have a good stock of Winchester 760, H4895, A3100, H414, IMR 4227, IMR 4350.

Does anyone have any experience with Woodleigh bullets in this caliber? Any load date specifically for the 400 grn bullets?

Default 405

Well, The current Hornady manual has load data for their 300 gr jacketed bullets. The OLDER Ideal handbooks have some data and Hodgdon's load data site has some data including for the heavier jacketed. I don't know the groove diameter in the Rugers but you may want to slug the bore and choose the cast bullet diameter accordingly for best accuracy and minimal leading.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Quote Originally Posted by ruger*1nut View Post
    Yes...Buffalo Bullets are sized to .412. Purchased 2 boxes (100 per box) from MidwayUsa for around $20 plus shipping.

My Hornady dies appear to shave off just a small amount of lead each time but so far, these loads (49 grns of H4895 & WLR primer and Hornady brass) brass are all striking within .75 center hole @ 150 yards.

I have a good stock of Winchester 760, H4895, A3100, H414, IMR 4227, IMR 4350.

Does anyone have any experience with Woodleigh bullets in this caliber? Any load date specifically for the 400 grn bullets?
    Of your list of powders, H4895 is the only one that will give good performance. It is very good with the 400 grain Woodleighs, I have a load for it at home. The Woodleigh I used was of .411" diameter and my No. 1 slugged about .4105" as I recall so the cast of .411" to .412" will be fine and the Woodleigh SN was .411". They also make that in a .410" for the new Ruger 450/400 N.E.

You will do better with the cast bullets with a different expander of about .410" that steps up to flare the mouth slightly.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Hope this helps

The powders are IMR not Hodgon

Default 405 load data

Many thanks for the load data....

I have several boxes of Nosler .410 bullets for my .41 magnum...Will these bullets work in a Ruger #1?

I checked with my bud who is so fond of his 405 in the Ruger. His all time favorite load is ANY cast bullet on top of 12 grains of unique. Says it will stack them on top of each other so steadily at 50 yards you sometimes feel you're shooting blanks. The hole just doesn't seem to get any bigger. His #1 powder for jacketed is RL-7, though he wasn't specific about bullets or charges.

Default 405 Winchester 400 grain load

Hey Murphy,

If you be so kind as to give me your load data for a 400 grain...I'd sure appreciate it....thanks!

Anyone have a 405 Winchester hand load recipe for a 400 grain Barnes Soft Point pill?

Back to top......

Quote Originally Posted by ruger*1nut View Post
    Hey Murphy,

If you be so kind as to give me your load data for a 400 grain...I'd sure appreciate it....thanks!
    He's a busy man and I bet he missed this. You should send him a PM about it.

Andy

Default .405 Needs to Make a Comeback

I recently took a friends .405 out for a day of shooting in the Colorado Rockies and I was extremely impressed. This is one excellent round and I hope it makes a comeback the way the 45-70 did. What a great elk/moose cartridge.

Keep talking up the .405, perhaps more ammo manufacturers will get on the bandwagon and keep this grand old cartridge alive and well.

If you have read Craig boddington hunt with his daughter in africa with the 405win in G&A a couple years back they developed aload using a 400 grain hornday bullet fpr the ruger 1 to achieve 2100 FPS, ruger 1&3s are strong actions. maybe you can try writing craig boddington and asking him, or tracking down that issue where him and his daughter went hunting in africa with the 405 ruger 1 and might have the load data. or contact speer bullets and asking those guys questions. i have got replys from them.