Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chest Holster or shoulder for my .44 Redhawk

Default Chest Holster or shoulder for my .44 Redhawk

I just got a .44 Redhawk with a 5.5 inch barrel. I am debating about shoulder holsters or chest holster. I am a fly fishing guide in the summer so I want a shoulder holster or a chest holster to keep it out of the drink but it comes down to 2 issues then,

Manufacturer, it's hard to pick and there are some nice looking customs but I have a limited local selection

and

Shoulder vs. Chest, I have talked to alot of guys that swear by both. Any favorites?
    River Runnin

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

It might depend a little bit, on what kind of fishing qear you are wearing, but A chest holster would be my choice. A shoulder holster with that big of a gun could be uncomfortable.

That guy, Dave at Diamond D Leather makes the best Chest Holster I've seen. It's easy on and easy off. He does good work too. I've had him do several knife sheaths and holsters for me. He's working on more stuff for me right now.

I don't have one of his chest holsters, YET. But, I'll probably get one for my 44, as another option to the hip holster he built for me.

IMO, the wrong holster flops around and your gun just gets in the way. The right one makes all the difference, especally for a heavier gun. He makes different kinds of holsters, depending on what features you want.

Here's his phone number if you're interested. (907)-688-0366

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I do have a diamond D chest holster, they are nice. I wore it pretty much constantly this past moose season. On the 4 wheeler, getting unstuck and hiking around it never bothered me. I was carrying a .45 colt with 300gr bullets so it wasnt a light gun either, I think you could comfortably carry a fairly heavy piece in this manner.

Default Bianchi

I'm real fond of the break front shoulder holster from Bianchi for wear with a fly vest and Gortex chest waders such as you'll be wearing. I've tried the chest versions, and they put the gun right in the way. You can't close your fly vest with it on because front and center interferes with the pockets for fly boxes. You can't wear it over the vest for the same reason. It's the perfect snag for your fly line. Putting it under your arm keeps it out of the way of your main job. Yet with the break front design it's very fast to get to.

Best of all for me, your clients usually won't even see it unless you take your raincoat off. It's not nearly as distracting if you keep it out of sight.

Default Sportsman's Guide

I got one from sportsman's guide for $90.00. It keeps your gun about halfway between an full shoulder holster and a chest carry. It it comes with 10 loops for extra boolits, but this can be removed if wanted. Thinking about pulling the loop belt off and hooking a speed loader in its place. I carry a 7 1/2 Red hawk in mine while tromping in the woods, or out gold panning. Just my thoughts.

Gun Runner

Default bianchi

Brown Bear, is that a Bianchi x15 holster by chance?
    River Runnin

That looks like the same model, though mine are between 20 and 30 years old and don't have the model on them. Or at least if it was there once, it's long since worn off. Yup, not only do they work well, but they're durable.

You can move the Diamond D holsters around some. You don't have to always position it right in the middle of your chest.

IIRC, you can loop the strap on the other shoulder, and it works like a shoulder holster.

It's really easy to do that. You just put the strap over one shoulder or the other, then grab the strap around you back, fasten and tighten. It's really simple.

I'll be getting one for my S&W 44, that has a 6" barrel. Loaded it weighs 3 lbs. and 6 oz.

Dave likes to put tension screws on his holsters, which are adjustable, and hold the gun tight enough that you don't need a finger strap or a thumb strap, but I get the fasteners, anyway. I can always leave them loose.

Sometimes it's hard to find a holster from a quality maker, that fits your gun, and barrel length, and maybe you don't quite know what it'll be like before you order it. If I had known about this guy and his shop before, I would have been there a long time ago. I've wasted money in the past, by buying holsters that didn't work well for me.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Thumbs up Bianchi 4100 Ranger Hush System

The Bianchi 4100 Ranger Hush System and accessory flap would be my first recommendation for a river-runner or wading-fisher.

This is a very well thought out design and flexible enough to carry both shoulder and chest draw. Note to pick right or left handed, scoped or un-scoped, as well as model of handgun and bbl. length.

This rig is also likely your best bet when frequently in & around water all the while finding your hands full of other stuff to hang on to.

Default Houster for fly fishing

I carried my 6" 629 for several years in a nylon hip houster just over my right rear pocket. Well out of the way and worked well when fishing in hip waders. Dunked it a few times when I went in the water but that is one of the reasons for a SS gun. Dried it off and back to fishing again. I did make certain I used waterproofed ammo- a lot of custom ammo is assemblied without any sealant I noticed.

Last year I picked up a S&W .500 with the 5"? barrel and tried it in a shoulder houster with butt forward. A nice rig and quick access but I found myself hitting the butt with my left hand when I was fighting larger slamon on a fly rod. A muzzle down shoulder rig should do the trick and get the butt up out of the way although it would be slowed to draw and shoot.

I can't imagine using a cross the chest rig for fishing; I'd be hitting the gun all the time when fighting fish on a fly rod.

I never worried about concealing the gun although I got a few stares and comments from yankee tourists. I had one big mouthed new yorker complaining when I stepped into the stream about 20 ft. below him downstream in the santuary just below the mouth of the Russian River - a really wide berth to give someone in that area when the fish are running. He made some comment about me getting snagged. I nicely told him he was lucky to get as much space as he had in that river and if he couldn't control his line he should consider fishing where there we less people. He started to say something else and then saw my sidearm. He shutup, made a few more febble casts and left - tourist back east just freak out when they se people with sidearms I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    I never worried about concealing the gun although I got a few stares and comments from yankee tourists. I had one big mouthed new yorker complaining when I stepped into the stream about 20 ft. below him downstream in the santuary just below the mouth of the Russian River - a really wide berth to give someone in that area when the fish are running. He made some comment about me getting snagged. I nicely told him he was lucky to get as much space as he had in that river and if he couldn't control his line he should consider fishing where there we less people. He started to say something else and then saw my sidearm. He shutup, made a few more febble casts and left - tourist back east just freak out when they se people with sidearms I guess.
    I started carrying a handgun, even when I fish in crowded spots. I didn't before because I thought someone might get nervous, but one lady told my wife she was more comfortable when someone had a gun, in case a bear came around. Another time, a guy told me he approved, and had a 44 in his pack.

Still, at Bird Creek there was this guy who fired his pistol in the air to scare off a bear, and people were on him like stink on poo, poo. I can't remember the details, but he may have gotten arrested.

I don't think it's just the tourists, who freak out, we have a bunch of resident idiots too.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

I found a link to a guy down by Anchorage:

http://www.davidjohnstonleather.com/Pages/Holsters.html

I think it looks like it might be what I'm looking for. I figure with a gun as big as a .44 there will be some mild inconvenience and I'll just deal with that.

As for the tourists I'd be happy as could be to see them leave my piece of water, thrashing and flailing, scaring the fish and trying to give me an earing with their fly. I've had them complain too on the kenai, I informed them that they were the only ones b****ing and as such maybe they should free up some space for the rest of us.

As always thanks for the notes guys! Much appreciated and if anyone has any other thoughts I'm still reading them!
    River Runnin

Alessi makes a real nice custom shoulder holster for a few coins, however, they have up to a 52 week lead time. rfholsters.com

I just bought a used one - currently waiting for the delivery.

-Hiker

River Runnin:

Thet be tha guy I posted bout, bak at tha start.

Smitty of the North
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "[[[[That guy, Dave at Diamond D Leather makes the best Chest Holster I've seen. It's easy on and easy off. He does good work too. I've had him do several knife sheaths and holsters for me. He's working on more stuff for me right now.

I don't have one of his chest holsters, YET. But, I'll probably get one for my 44, as another option to the hip holster he built for me.

IMO, the wrong holster flops around and your gun just gets in the way. The right one makes all the difference, especally for a heavier gun. He makes different kinds of holsters, depending on what features you want.

Here's his phone number if you're interested. (907)-688-0366]]]]"
    You can't out-give God.

Default Got my holster!

I got one of the Diamond D guide specials (I think that's what he called it). It's a three point holster designed for my gun specifically and it fits great! I highly recomend it to anyone, they were very prompt about getting the holster to me and I am very pleased with it. Perfect for the backpacker, hunter, or fly fishermen!
    River Runnin

YEAH, I got mine too, now. I've been wearing it around the house. It's a dandy.
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    YEAH, I got mine too, now. I've been wearing it around the house. It's a dandy.
    Smitty of the North
    You wear yours around the house! That's odd.

I only wear mine in the garage where my wife can't make fun of me.

Quote Originally Posted by AKGunner View Post
    You wear yours around the house! That's odd.

I only wear mine in the garage where my wife can't make fun of me.
    You're right on both points. I wore it around the house a cupla times, to see how comfortable it was, and I'm "odd".

I wore mine in the Garage too, so there. Spring will be here soon, and the Bars will be coming out, so I can be wear it in my back yard.

With a little thought most anything can be justified. Especially, if you're "odd". It's a blessing, really.
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Well, now I know I'm not alone! I wore mine with my bathrobe first because that's what I was wearing when it got delivered!
    River Runnin

We are becoming a Select Group. No doubt, other highly cultured and scholarly individuals will soon be joining us.

I think I shall wear mine the next time I howl at the moon.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast