Thread: I need mental help. LOL

About 18 miles east of the nut farm in Orgun

Default I need mental help. LOL

I cant friggin make up my mind on what gun to buy.
    Ive narrowed it down to a few.

Ruger alaskan 454
    Red hawk 44mag with 4 " barrel
    Red hawk 44 mag with 5.5 barrel.

Getting it to carry as backup while hunting I.E. Not primary wepon. Help before I vote for Hillary. LOL

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by stump.58 View Post
    Help before I vote for Hillary. LOL
    THAT, is SERIOUS:

Of the ones you mention,
    get the Red hawk 44 mag with 5.5 barrel.

The 454 hurts too much.
    The 4" barrel kicks too much.
    The 44 with 5.5 is practical, and adequate, IMHO.

Check with "Murphy". You can believe HIM. Besides, I'd like to know what he says.

I hope I was in time to save you, until Murphy comes anyway.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Tanks Smitt, I think I need to just buy it and be done with it. Ive looked at close to 100 revolvers in the last month. Just wish I could shoot all ove them.

Thanks for the plug there Smitty and I agree. The 5.5" in 44 Redhawk would be the best candidate. The 5.5" is still very packable and more shootable than a 4" 44. It is also less likely to appoint a bone head federal judge that will hinder the private ownership of firearms. Oops! Sorry, wrong forum.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

How about one of the new 4" Redhawks in .45 Colt? It'll do everything the .44 Magnum does without the pressures.
    Now what ?

I have the 5.5 44 and i really like it as a back up. I highly suggest it
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default I feel your pain

I've been waffling between a RH 4 inch and a 629 classic 5 inch. I do think that extra inch or 1.5 will make for much better, and more frequent shooting and probably not a whole lot difference in carry. I guess I should also consider the 5.5 RH. From everything I've heard the 44 needs 5.5 inches for max performance, is this true? I also think if you ever shoot without hearing protection, the longer the better, What..

Red face

I cant friggin make up my mind on what gun to buy.
    Ive narrowed it down to a few.

Ruger alaskan 454
    Red hawk 44mag with 4 " barrel
    Red hawk 44 mag with 5.5 barrel.

Getting it to carry as backup while hunting I.E. Not primary wepon. Help before I vote for Hillary. LOL

At this point, I think you'd be best off to just buy them all before we get any closer to Billary becoming a possible reality.

Jon

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Partner:
    Oh Yes. The longer the barrel the greater the velocity, and less the noise, especially with a cartridge that depends on a slower burning powder like a 44, for example.

I usta own a Colt 5.5 inch barreled 357 that would really hurt my ears without ear protection even when I used 38 Specials.

I traded it for a Ruger Blackhawk with a 6.5 inch barrel. Now, I can fire it at arms length and although I don't like it, it doesn't cause me any actual pain, like the shorter barrel did. So, in the event that I have to shoot it without ear protection, the ear damage is lessened.

Now, probably the noise is also a function of factors other than barrel length, but it's one reason why I prefer longer barrels, even on rifles.

I've not fired my 6" barreled 44 without ear protection, and maybe never will, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be as loud as a 4", and I'm very sure it will be easier to hang onto.

Short barrels look more zoomie, and people will tell you they are handier, and easier to pack around etc., but my guns are for shooting, not show.

People will often say that if they have to shoot a bear, to save themselves, noise is the least of their concern. However, it may not be entirely ethical to feed a bear, meat, that has been tainted by recent ear damage. Itís a personal choice I reckon.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I cant friggin make up my mind on what gun to buy....
    I think you got good advice on the 5.5" Redhawk. I have found myself on the Ruger web site a lot lately, thinking about getting one. The 5" S&W 629 is also a handy package but the Ruger gives me the feeling of ruggedness that I like. Go ahead and get some firearm therapy in Ruger rehab.

By the way, Murphy, do you use the standard Ruger wooden grips on your Redhawk? How do they work out?

5.5" Redhawk in 44 mag.... I recently picked one up for those situations where 200-230 hardcasts in my 10mm won't cut it. Light enough to pack, and for the size/weight savings of 1.5" of barrel I would stick with the increased shootability/accuracy/ballistics of the 5.5". Just me though.... .
    Hunting, camping & shooting goodies. http://www.laksupply.com

I got a super black hawk in .44 mag and a single Six .22