Thread: Halibut Outside of Anchorage

Default Halibut Outside of Anchorage

I have just moved here from Ketchikan and am looking to do some Halibut fishing with my family. Anyone have any advice on where to go that won't cost two hundred dollars a person, and where to gather seaweed and crab? I think I will be lost here subsistence-wise for awhile, any help would be great!

Default Islander

Welcome to Southcentral SoutheastGirl,

It's a little different in your new neighborhood. Not like my family can make the 5 minute commute to Bar Harbor after work, jump in the skiff, run to Bostwick and pull the crab pots, troll on the way back, hook a spring king, stop by the rocks and harvest a bucket of black seaweed and rake a few cockles and then still have time to watch a Scrubs re-run before bedtime.

Sorry, no cheap and easy halibut fishing here. It's a major undertaking. I import mine from area 2C.

On the other hand, this part of the state has it's advantages concerning subsistence. It's possible to actually grow a garden here and no more wormy blueberries.

Coaldust

Quote Originally Posted by southeastgirl View Post
    I have just moved here from Ketchikan and am looking to do some Halibut fishing with my family. Anyone have any advice on where to go that won't cost two hundred dollars a person, and where to gather seaweed and crab? I think I will be lost here subsistence-wise for awhile, any help would be great!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Coaldust View Post
    Welcome to Southcentral SoutheastGirl,

It's a little different in your new neighborhood. Not like my family can make the 5 minute commute to Bar Harbor after work, jump in the skiff, run to Bostwick and pull the crab pots, troll on the way back, hook a spring king, stop by the rocks and harvest a bucket of black seaweed and rake a few cockles and then still have time to watch a Scrubs re-run before bedtime.
    Coaldust
    Bostwick, who runs to Bostwick anymore? I think you fished that out long time ago. lol

kingfisherktn

Default kingfisherktn

LOL I know.... I didn't want to give out any real hotspots. I haven't messed around Bostwick much since Ernie was killed there.