Thinking about taking our 16' w/25 hp to Seward in July/Aug for fishing close to the harbor and I've got a few questions:
1. We don't have a bunch of electric stuff on the boat, only a small battery for cranking the motor (electric start Yamaha 25 4 stroke), will this battery in combination with the motor run a small fish finder? Is an inexpensive model that I could buy from Trustworthy worth the money and needed to find fish?
2. The divers used on the Kenai for backtrolling; I know they come in different models/depths, so how much line do you have to let out to achieve the model's designed depth?
3. Was thinking of trolling along the shoreline toward's Miller's in that direction (see other boats doing that), is it productive to do that across the bay as well?
4. Is mooching effective close in to the harbor? I'm kind of reluctant to buy a fishfinder for just a few trips like this, but it may prove useful on the Kenai river as well, and I imagine it does help when trying to find a spot to mooch?
5. Rockfish close in to the harbor? Would drop herring as bait or small jigs/spoons on same rods as trolling (our all purpose Ambassadeurs with 20 lb. line on Lamiglass rods).
I realize we're pretty limited with what we have in the way of boat & gear, but just trying to make the most of it and do something different.
Was thinking of getting a handheld radio; VHF I presume over a CB?