Thread: Which Chrono??

Default Which Chrono??

Getting ready to buy one. Are the 100 dollar ones worth buying?? How accurate are they?
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Yep, the $100 ones are great. And the $75 ones are just as good as far as I am concerned. I bought the “green one” at Sportsman’s warehouse and have been very satisfied with it. It is simple, rugged (provided you don’t shoot it) and easy to use. My vision is good enough that I don’t yet need the one with the remote display, and can see the display on mine just fine from about 6 feet or so. One thing that I have found beneficial is to put a blob of cast bullet lube on the sky-screen joints so that the screens are less apt to get blown off by muzzle blast. I also helps a bit to have the chrono angled slightly nose down so to speak, so that muzzle blast pushes down on the sky screens instead of blowing them off. It only seems to be a problem with the heavy hitters like 375H&H or my 45/70.

There is one more big advantage to buying the cheapest one. And that comes into play when you or one of you buddies puts a bullet thru the thing! you wont be crying the blues over a destroyed piece of equipment that will cost you several hundred bucks to replace! And while you are all chuckling and thinking to yourself “what idiot would shoot his chrono?” I can tell you that I have personally seen three of them blasted into the great ever after by well intentioned shooters with scoped rifles that didn’t take into account their elevated line of sight thru the scope versus the barrel bore. And to see a rented chrono get hit by a 420 grain hard cast 45 caliber bullet going around 2000 fps at point blank range is nothing short of craptacular! A true spectacle for fans of destruction! The 300 ultramag is also quite adept at “anchoring” chronographs and a “one shot kill” is practically guaranteed! Thankfully I can report that I wasn’t involved in dispatching any of the three, but I can say, that witnessing the priceless expression on a guys face as he slowly comes to grips with the fact that all that debris raining down from the sky represents the last remains of his precious new toy is worth at least the price of admission to the range for a day!

As to the accuracy of them? I couldnt say as I have never set two or more of them up at one time to see how they compair.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Talking

I have the Shooting Chrony model. Actually, I am on my second, as I managed to put a 55gr through it at about 3500fps (I'm only guessing because I didn't get a velocity readout for that found ) Be careful if you are frequently switching scopes on rifles, especially if you have large objective lenses. I had switched scopes, shot a few rounds at 50yds for sighters, and thought I was ready to go. The 50mm bell put me a bit lower at the muzzle than I thought!

I'm with Alangaq on getting the cheaper models. Mine is sometimes a little finicky on light conditions, but I can deal with that. I get readouts that I am happy with and seem accurate, but I haven't been able to compare either. Shooting Chrony also has good deals on returns/replacements after you put a hole in yours.

I think the biggest benefit to the more expensive models are they work in more better light conditions. Or maybe it is mo' betta conditions???

Thumbs up Pact

FWIW I bought a used PACT, used it myself for another 10 years. Had the internal battery go bad finally and when I called PACT to try to get a battery, they told me they would just ship me a new one for free..despite the fact that I told them I got it used orginally. Got to love that kind of customer service! Plus the only parts forward of the muzzle are the screens which are relatively inexpensive.

Thanks for the entertaining info guys Makes sense to get a cheaper one for when is gets shot!! I've also heard the occasional stray gas check off a 44 can do a number on them too! At this point I'd be using for my 325 and 44mag. Well, and then maybe the wifes 38 and my buddies 338rum. hmmm, the cheaper one's sounding better all the time.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

Default Green-White-Tan Clocks!

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Thanks for the entertaining info guys Makes sense to get a cheaper one for when is gets shot!! I've also heard the occasional stray gas check off a 44 can do a number on them too! At this point I'd be using for my 325 and 44mag. Well, and then maybe the wifes 38 and my buddies 338rum. hmmm, the cheaper one's sounding better all the time.
    A bit of IMO!

Set up multiple chronos, same day same brand and then prepare to rip out your hair!

Oehler is gone now, anyone seen a 35 for sale?
    Last edited by alaskamonte; 09-07-2008 at 20:44. Reason: spelling!

Quote Originally Posted by alaskamonte View Post
    A bit of IMO!

Set up multiple chronos, same day same brand and then prepare to rip out your hair!

Oehler is gone now, anyone seen a 35 for sale?

Oehler is not gone, they still repair the 35P and still sell the 43. You have to be really lucky to find a 35P for sell, you have to be looking as the post hits for the first time and ready to buy right then, last one I saw posted went for 500.00 with in a few seconds of the post.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Times two for the 100 dollar model....

I have the 'green' one as well and it works just fine for my purposes...

Default I liked mine so much I bought another

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Getting ready to buy one. Are the 100 dollar ones worth buying?? How accurate are they?
    There is another thread that asks the same question:

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/...43&m=543106388

A side discussion of chronographs and their (inevitable?) fates reminded me of this thread.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/...43&m=446105658

It starts out with pictures of a Chrony that had been dismantled by a 405 grain 45-70 bullet travelling about 1700 fps.

Nicely done.

Lost Sheep, Good Luck

P.S. Boondocks in Eagle River has some nice ones for a c-note (last time I was in there) with the remote readout/control head, which is nice not only for reading the display (and safety, too), but since the controls are there, when you need to reboot or clear memory etc, you have the buttons right there instead of in front of the firing line.

P.P.S. My chronograph now wears $50 worth of "insurance" in the form of a couple of pieces of channel iron. I have tested it. It will protect from a shallow hit from a .500 S&W with barely a skid mark.

Saw a video of a guy that shot one with his bow. Brand new, first shot. Very funny reaction.
    You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

I picked up a facotry refurb shooting chrony several years back for $50, money well spent and it's always worth dropping a line to the factory to see if they have any refurbs in stock.

Mine was killed with an errant .475" gascheck at 1400 fps. I was seeing how fast I could push 310 gr bullets out of my 480, and as they were plainbase bullets I seated gaschecks inverted in the case behind the bullet. It was the lucky 7th shot that did the deed.

One note about Shooting chronies is they are sensitive to the sun. I've had shooting sessions in the winter when the sun was low that I had trouble getting readings. Other then that they are accurate, cheap, and set up quickly.

Nothing wrong with the cheap Chrony - just don't shoot it.

Ya, I picked up one of the Chrony models with the remote screen for less than a 100 bucks. so far so good, I mean, it works and I haven't shot it!