Thread: WOW-I shot my 460 today

Talking WOW-I shot my 460 today

I took that big old .460 S+W Mag to the range today. I started with some .45 Colt ammo, boy it sure soots that nice. I then moved to the .454 Casull, that shot good, not bad kick or too loud. I then stepped up to the .460 ammo, thank you to those who responded to my last post and advised me she is loud. I put in ear plugs and topped off with muffs. The shear shock was banging snow off the overhang every shot. That thing is a monster. I got the sights dialed in at 25 and then 50, it is accurate, nice groups but I don't adavise shooting too much .460 in one session, it'll hurt you and your pocket book. I like the flexability of the three calibres, they all shoot good. I did notice a slight differance in group size between the three but all were acceptable. The guys in the office when I turned in my borrowed equipment wanted to know if I was going elephant hunting since I was shaking stuff in there. Once again WOW!!

I would rank firing that 460 as one of my all time favorite experiences with a firearm.
    The noise, shock and fire are awesome. Its a monster.

I might consider getting one of those special runs for lou horton if one turns up.

Ill say it again though, youd better dang make sure its worth it if you ever shoot it without earplugs.

ADUKHNT, so now that you have fired it, how do you intend to use it? For bear protection, hunting or just for fun? What barrel length did you get? I have never fired the .460 but I have fired the .454 so I know about the muzzle blast and yours had to be even worse. When I fired the .454 at an indoor range, the guy in the next lane swore that his one of his teeth loosened. The shock waves in that building were amazing. I don't think I will ever fire that caliber in an indoor range again.

I bought the 5", I plan on useing it for defense mainly while in the AK wild, but I have already been pricing scope mounts and scopes so hunting may be in the near future, the 460 ballistics are awe inspering

If any of you locals wanna shoot either of my 500's (4in and 7 1/2) drop me a pm when it warms up and we can head out to Birchwood.
    Makes the 460 feel like a ***** cat. Totally different recoil.
    Tennessee

I've actually shot both the .460 and .500 side by side and prefered the .500 myself. The muzzle blast on the .460 was abusive although the recoil was nothing special in my book. I like the ability of the .500 to launch much larger and heavier projectiles. If I were to purchase an X-frame S&W it would probably be the John Ross version as his ideas of a big-bore revolver and mine mesh pretty well.

http://www.john-ross.net/store.php

The article at the bottom is pretty interesting for big bore aficionados.

Sounds a lot like shooting my 500. It's a BLAST(!), isn't it? Tons o' fun! Now go fill a few milk jugs with water and let them freeze ... heh heh.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by theONE73 View Post
    I've actually shot both the .460 and .500 side by side and prefered the .500 myself. The muzzle blast on the .460 was abusive although the recoil was nothing special in my book. I like the ability of the .500 to launch much larger and heavier projectiles. If I were to purchase an X-frame S&W it would probably be the John Ross version as his ideas of a big-bore revolver and mine mesh pretty well.

http://www.john-ross.net/store.php

The article at the bottom is pretty interesting for big bore aficionados.
    I've been back and forth between the 460 and 500 and am glad to have read this article. I had decided on the 460 but will rrehink my decision as Ross's article made alot of sense. I like the looks of his gun and the price seems very reasonable. Saboted 308s witth 3006 velcities? CCrazy...

Default Just FYI

I have read many, many times that it is neccessary to clean the cylinders thoroughly before shooting one cartridge and then stepping up to a longer cartridge in the same cylinders.

It has to do will soot building up in the cylinder in the space where the front of the longer case goes and raising pressures .

You may have done this cleaning and just did not note it.

I shoot 45 colt in my 454 and always shoot the 45 colts after the 454 loads. Then thoroughly clean after.

Like I said just an FYI.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    I have read many, many times that it is neccessary to clean the cylinders thoroughly before shooting one cartridge and then stepping up to a longer cartridge in the same cylinders.

It has to do will soot building up in the cylinder in the space where the front of the longer case goes and raising pressures .

You may have done this cleaning and just did not note it.

I shoot 45 colt in my 454 and always shoot the 45 colts after the 454 loads. Then thoroughly clean after.

Like I said just an FYI.
    When shooting revolvers in particular, I clean the barrel/forcing cone and cylinder holes with Sweets 7.62 (or CR-10) about every other time and do a close inspection with a fiber optics light to make sure no lead or copper fouling remains. I always clean with (el cheapo) Hoppes #9 afterwards to make sure no strong chemicals remain, then lube etc. This is good practice anyway and if followed, you should never have to worry about putting in different COLs and types of bullets (lead or copper jacketed.)

Brian