Thread: How to thaw a frozen wheeler...

Default How to thaw a frozen wheeler...

I have been riding quite a bit this winter and the wheelers are getting covered with ice. I can see it beginning to take a toll on the machines, but since my garage is not heated I have no way to thaw them. I have two heaters, one electric and one propane that still cannot raise the temp inside my garage enough to melt the wheelers. I'm looking for ideas here if any of you have come up with a solution for this.

I was thinking about building an enclosure just big enough for the wheeler out of PVC and covering it with old blankets and tarps, then putting the wheeler in there with a heater - any better ideas? These machines are getting damaged by the ice!

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

How bout just throwing a tarp over it that is large enough to have some space to the side for some sort of heater. I don't think you'd want the water dripping all over an electrical heater!!

Maybe a better idea...Got any friends with heated garages??
    EricL

tarp it inside your garage and then heat under the tarp....
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Cool Ready Heater

That's how I thaw mine I point a ready heater at it and let it blast for a while that usually does the job, I tarp it also it will thaw a lot faster if it's covered. good luck.

I've used a tarp with the electric heater before and it warmed up enough to get it to start on a sub-zero day, but still didn't thaw the ice. (Talking about the Big Bear.) The PVC idea I mentioned - I was going to build on a small cubicle at one end big enough for the propane heater I have, with enough space around it to eliminate the threat of fire. No worries about water dripping on that one. I'll try just tarping it with the propane heater and see if that works. I'll put something bigger than the heater on both sides to keep the tarp from touching it.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Make sure you do not have ANY FUMES !!! Had a friend try to unthaw his wheeler like that but enclosd his all the way but he did not know he had a small fuel leak. Was not a pretty sight, Thank goodness it was outside and not in his garage and nobody got hurt
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Default Blue Foam Board

I built a "dog house" for my wheeler our of blue 2 inch foam board. When I need my wheeler to start I put my propane heater inside the house about 2 hrs before I need it and it brings the temperature right up to 40 or 50 degrees even on the coldest day. In a garage it work even better.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Take it to the car wash and hose it down with some nice hot water and then hang out for awhile until its mostly dry.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio