Thread: Whistle Stop Routes

Default Whistle Stop Routes

I saw an article in the paper a while ago and it talked about the railroad offering some whistle stop routes where you could jump on, ride as far as you need to go and jump off.... similar thing to get picked up. Has anyone used the railroad to get back into the mountains a ways and then do a few days of hiking? Just curious if anyone has any info on good routes or how this works.

I believe you need to do some prep before hand such as letting them know when/where you are wanting to be picked up and dropped off as well as buy your ticket. You can probably find the info at the Alaska Railroad website. It would be fun though. If you go, let us know.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

The article in the paper was about the new whistlestop service in between Portage and Seward. It's not a true whistlestop, though, as they'll only stop at pre-determined locations. I think there are 4-5 designated locations. They're planning a trail system linking them, but at the time most are completely unimproved (which is likely what most prefer anyhow). Contact the Alaska Railroad for details.

Sounds like a good way to access Spencer Glacier if you happen to have that goat tag. Here's the link. http://www.akrr.com/arrc34.html

Default Flag stop train

I have used the Flag stop train out of Talkeetna. It was pretty neat. Just pay for your round trip ticket before you leave, get on the train, tell the conductor when you want to get off. When you want to get back on you just flag them down using a white rag and they will stop and pick you up. still amazing that trains like this still exist. One further note, if you are bringing a gun of any sort, you must have a trigger lock on it or they wont let you on board with it. I found that out the hard way.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mntransplant View Post
    I have used the Flag stop train out of Talkeetna. It was pretty neat. Just pay for your round trip ticket before you leave, get on the train, tell the conductor when you want to get off. When you want to get back on you just flag them down using a white rag and they will stop and pick you up. still amazing that trains like this still exist. One further note, if you are bringing a gun of any sort, you must have a trigger lock on it or they wont let you on board with it. I found that out the hard way.
    Decades ago I worked for the ARR in that area; between Talkeetna and Healy, with much time along the Susitna River between Talkeetna and Hurricane. Then there was always flag stop. I'm glad they brought it back several years ago.

I recently called them and talked to them (the lady I talked to even remembered me, over thirty years after I left). Prices are great. I have a trip planned in that area, complete with wheelers and my beloved Argo.

Thanks for that tip regarding the weapons. She didn't tell me that........

Default Trigger lock

Quote Originally Posted by mntransplant View Post
    ... you must have a trigger lock on it or they wont let you on board with it. I found that out the hard way.
    Do you know if a built in trigger lock (AKA S&W) is sufficient or do they want a separate lock?

Hiker
    "Happiness is a warm gun - bang bang, shoot shoot!"
    -Lennon/McCartney

Question

I don't know what they consider a good lock. I would give them a call. When told about the madatory trigger lock, i asked them if the lock that slid through chamber and out the ejection port would do. I was told "NO" and that it had to be an actuall lock that went over the trigger guard. So, long story short I'm not sure. But after checking on the website here is what it says for the Hurricane Turn train.

"All firearms must be declared and checked through baggage. The firearm must be either disassembled (slide or bolt removed) or have a lock (trigger or cable type) installed to prevent operation. Additionally, the firearm must be in a locked case. Concealed weapons are not permitted onboard."