Thread: wood/blue or synthetic/stainless?

Default wood/blue or synthetic/stainless?

I am interested in what most hunters use in alaska or wherever you are from. I personally use synthetic and stainless for hunting. I have some very nice wood and blue guns but don't like to take them out of the safe. I really like the look of a nice walnut stock and blue metal but don't like the maintenance.

What do you guys who use wood/blue do to keep them in good shape if used daily?

Getting bored with the seasons being over and haven't started reloading yet. Can't fish for another couple months.

Believe there was a thread around here on this in the not-to-distant past.
    I hunt with blue/wood.

That being said, I have looked at stainless/synthetic. There is no doubt there are the hardier of the two if you don't like to sit down at camp the end of the day and clean your rifle.

Personal preferance, they both rock. I would however, stay to stainless when around salt water.

Jon

A nice wood and a good blue job makes for a beautiful gun but hard to beat a stainless/synthetic for weather and toughness. Toss up for me.....

Both need to be taken care of in the field. Neat swalt water, I always go with stainless/synthetic. For caribou hunts just take care of the blue wood and it works fine.

I hunt with a stainless synthetic rifle for reasons already mentioned. I do hunt small game with a blued/wood stocked Browning Citori. Although, for ducks & geese my synthetic Benelli Super Black Eagle II gets the nod.

Default stain less......not stain free

lots of manufacturers make stainless rifles...some are better than others....my weatherby still rusts after a few days in the rain....but its easy to clean....with a brillow pad....try that with your blued gun and you might as well keep going....i dropped my old blued rifle in the ocean once.....its bare metal now...but it was really pretty for a while with all the orange yellow and red streaks
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

I managed to keep a 45-70 Marlin in blued/wood looking pristine after 9 days hunting on Montague Island...even a couple of longggg beach hikes with spray coming off the ocean. I simply wiped down every night with Rem-Oil and ran a bore snake through the barrel with oil also. I was surprised how easy it was to keep looking good. All my other rifles are stainless with laminated stocks (Rugers).

I oil my blued guns ever night if I can after being in the field.

The blued guns I used the most were a mod 70 win and a ruger 77. I would keep them oiled like I said as much as possible but I also reblued them a couple times for winter projects.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default only way to go

I always buy synthetic and try to get the stainless but I do have some blued.

I hunt with synthetic stocked, blued rifles. I have one coated with Black T and the other is getting coated with Cerakote in the not to distant future.

I hunt with both blue/wood and s/s. I've never had any problems with blued rifles for a typical 10 day hunt, just keep'er oiled. For extended use like my guide rifle endures I would highly recommend stainless, it can be difficult to continually maintain a rifle for up to several months at a time. And while you still need to maintain your stainless gun a hunter can let oiling slide for a few days without appreciable damage done.

living in SE Alaska, I use stainless/synthetic only. With the rain/snow, saltwater, brush etc. its the only way to go. Got my first stainless 20 yrs ago and haven't gone back to blue/wood since.

I love blued/wood guns they are elegant and the only truly beautiful firearms...That is why I leave them in the safe at home and take out my browning stainless stalker.

I have synthetic stocked and blued, I prefer blued because its not as shiny, plus its pretty and cheaper.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.