Thread: Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan 454 Casull 2.5 IN

Default Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan 454 Casull 2.5 IN

Hello,

I own quite a few guns and spend most of my free time camping, hunting and fishing with my wife and our 3 year old son. I always carry a sidearm for protection and basic bear defense. I love my SA XD .45 ACP for it's accuracy and just having the option of firing off 14 rounds should they be needed.

However, I recently became infatuated with the new Ruger 454 Alaskan and had to get one. I have fired it several times with both the .45 colt and the .454 casull. I am sure that if ever in a bind and the bear spray doesn't work, a couple of rounds from the Alaskan would do the job. I love the gun even more since firing it and the shorter barrel is nice for a good chest strap holster. I will now be carrying my XD .45 ACP and the Ruger Alaskan in addition to our bear spray.

I was curious how many people have purchased the Alaskan and what you think about the gun. Thank you in advance for your shared thoughts.

Regards..

Default Ruger 454 Alaskan

Check out this thread on the Ruger site:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/view...=176627#176627

It is full of discussion about the Alaskan and discusses barrel length quite a bit.

I myself chose the 7.5" because it carries fine in a cross-draw belt holster and I did not want to give up any velocity I didn't have to. However, the short barrel does make a distinct improvement in convenience, I have to admit. (And it was cheaper.)

I would really like to work up loads for a 300 grain solid to see just how much energy is given up when you lose 2/3 of your barrel. If a powder is tailored to the shorty, it might be less than I think. But, alas, I don't have the equipment or expertise (yet) to fully investigate the question.

Good luck and happy camping.

Larry

Default i love mine too

its a great little gun....i found hornady 300gr copper jackets shoot the best for factory ammo out of mine...i just could get th heavy lead cast bullets to group at all...i'm gonna check out that forum too....

happy shooting
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Thumbs up 454 Alaskan

I picked up one of these not long after they came out and I love it. I got it strictly to carry as a backup gun. For me, the short barrel is perfect. Easy to carry and quick-handling. I really enjoy shooting it and I shoot it alot. I know people complain about the recoil, but I honestly don't think it is that bad. I shoot heavy cast bullets at max loads, so I am not too worried about loss of velocity with shorter barrel. Last time I tested penetration it went through 13'' of solid wood and only lost 20 gr. off the bullet weight.
    ..."Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions." - G.K. Chesterton

Default Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by alaskamace View Post
    I picked up one of these not long after they came out and I love it. I got it strictly to carry as a backup gun. For me, the short barrel is perfect. Easy to carry and quick-handling. I really enjoy shooting it and I shoot it alot. I know people complain about the recoil, but I honestly don't think it is that bad. I shoot heavy cast bullets at max loads, so I am not too worried about loss of velocity with shorter barrel. Last time I tested penetration it went through 13'' of solid wood and only lost 20 gr. off the bullet weight.
    Appreciate the feedback from everybody. I love the gun and the short barrel is nice when things can happen so quickly. I also haven't been bothered by the recoil and figured that any gun with the right stopping power is going to have some kick. I have carried a Mossberg 500 pump action loaded with slugs but, found myself hanging it from tree branches a good portion of the time. Now, I leave the shotgun at home or my wife carries it and I have my Alaskan in a chest holster ready to go.

Default I own it in 2.5"

I have shot 75 rounds out of mine. two boxes of Buffalo bore ammo. I had 1 bullet jump the crimp. Other than that I find it a great gun for fishing and hunting. It is lite and holds 6 rounds.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Default My custom Ruger Alaskan

I took a Ruger Super Redhawk .454 7.5 inch and had MagnaPort do some work on it.
    Trigger/action job, shorten barrel to 4.5 inches, bob hammer, port barrel, crown barrel, beadblast, engrave my initials, and I added hogue grips. I carry it in a chest holster.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaKodiak View Post
    I took a Ruger Super Redhawk .454 7.5 inch and had MagnaPort do some work on it.
    Trigger/action job, shorten barrel to 4.5 inches, bob hammer, port barrel, crown barrel, beadblast, engrave my initials, and I added hogue grips. I carry it in a chest holster.
    Very nice! Did MagnaPort set you back much?

Brian

it was around $500, you can mix and match if you want