Thread: ...islands worked?...

Default ...islands worked?...

Anyone work any of the islands between Ketchikan and Juneau?

Any luck or recommendations? (besides don't get eaten by a bear)

Mahalo.

Default ...just to be clear...

Just to be clear, I'm asking if anyone has panned any of the streams on any of the islands between Ketchikan and Juneau.

I'm planning a trip later this summer and will be visiting a couple of these islands for about a week span. Looking to see if it will be worth it to bring my panning gear.

Thanks!

Default Southeast Gold

Hello WH7DA,

Over the years I have panned and hand sluiced in many of the rivers and streams on northern Baranof and southern Chichagof Islands. The rivers are beautiful but yield very little gold. Almost all of the traditional mining in these areas was hardrock. With the exception of the Cobol mines on Chichagof they were not big producers.

There is color on almost every stream around here but it is very small stuff that has been eroded from its hardrock source. Cabin fever finds me on a river with a pan 3-4 times each fall/winter/spring. There are several places where exposed quartz has yielded color after crushing.

Bring a fishing rod with you. Very seldomly do I venture out with just gold in mind. There are several old hardrock sites scattered throughout southeast that are very interesting to poke around in. Many are within easy walking distance from saltwater. I have the coordinates for most of the traditional mining sites if you are interested. PM me for those please. There are a couple of placer spots in the Juneau area but pretty bleek south of there.

Happy hunting. There is a ton of history in the alders from a time where prospecting/mining was active. Bring a small vial with magnifying glass. LOL. I suppose you should check with the Tongass folks. Anything this much fun or educational is probably illegal. I am currently waiting for my permit to get more permits.

Bruce

Default ...sounds good...

Thanks for the info. The main purpose of the trip is bear hunting on Kuiu, so I suppose I'll have a rifle instead of a fishing rod.

I'm hoping to get a few days of panning in after tagging my bear. If there's any color around there, then I'll haul my pan. Even a little is fun to find!

Thanks. Great pics!