Thread: Pinnell and Talifson

Default Pinnell and Talifson

Not sure where this thread should go, but since they were mentioned in "Alaska Shooting" in an prior post, I will ask the question here..

What guns did all the great, old time, bear men use?

375 H&H as I recall - Hal Wahl used a 375 Wby affectionately called "Big Nan"

Default Mod. 70 .375 H&H

In there books they reference the Mod. 70 in 375 H&H. Hal Wahl's .375 Weatherby started out as a 300 H&H. That rifle is only a few blocks from me.

Default Alaska guns

That's true . Hal Waugh's " Nan " is tucked away at the U.A.F. museum somewhere , always thought that was a shame . Waugh thought that a .358 Winchester had potential but didn't like the .338 mag . Sarber carried a -06 . Allen Hasselborg started out with a .45-70 and then picked up a .405 and thought it was the ticket . I'd be interested to find out what Joe Want carries .

Default Joe Want's sheep rifle

Joe carries an old beat up wooden stocked pre64 Win M70 chambered in 300 H&H that looks like it weighs every bit of 11 lbs. He also hunts sheep in rubber boots ("sourdough slippers")...really a 'tuff ole nut. I am not sure what he totes on Kodiak.

Default Big Nan

Unless it was recently moved, Hal Waugh's "Big Nan" and seal skin case is at the Brown Bear Gun Store in Kenai. Is this Alaska's most famous rifle? His wife Julie's .308 is there also.

Default Waugh's rifle

I'd really like to know how it got out of the lock-up from U.A.F.'s museum .

P&T liked their clients to carry at least an 30-06 but some did carry a 270. P&T had a lot of hides the squared very large but they kinda cheat skined them makeing many of their bears square a foot or so larger than they were. They were the real deal and I would have loved to at least talked to them for a few days or weeks.

I don't know if they pulled on the skin or not. In TRACK OF THE KODIAK, Marvin H. Clark, Jr., page 129, there's photo from the P&Tcollection of a bear "The skin measured more that eleven feet square." Huge animal by any measure!

Default Their Area

I have a tag for their old stomping grounds next spring. Excitement that I am hunting their area is an understatement, and I believe a new rifle for this hunt is in order. So, if you oould choose any rifle for an Olga Bay Brown Bear hunt, what would it be and why?

That sounds like a fun hunt....read up on their adventures and then relive their hunts.

Does anyone have a source for the prints of Pinnell with the human and bear skulls?

They didn't streach them. What they did was of insted of cutting up the back leg to the anus they cut to in front of the penis sheath.This made part of the belly skin add lenght to the hide.If you look at their bear hide you see the front legs but the hide is square from there back. The tail would be cut off and moved to the bottom edge of the hide and the tail and anus holes sewed close.This was just done for rugs.
    For hunting that area an 30-06 should do fine but if you like shooting more gun take it. Its getting close to a hundred years ago that the old times guides we read about started hunting the area and they complain about to much hunting pressure on the bears over fifty years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by VernAK View Post
    Does anyone have a source for the prints of Pinnell with the human and bear skulls?
    I have only seen one copy of this picture over at Knights Taxidermy and would love to get a copy on digits if anyone has one.

[QUOTE=VernAK;591388

Does anyone have a source for the prints of Pinnell with the human and bear skulls?[/QUOTE]

I have it as a pdf. Trying to figure how to post it on here.

This book has lots of pics and it might be in there but I don't recall now.
    http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sto...products_id=27