Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who Has Used A Honda 2 hp air cooled

Default Who Has Used A Honda 2 hp air cooled

I can't believe I am writing this as much as I have bad mouthed Honda. But seems like the best choice. It comes in a long shaft. It doesn't need flushed like all the others. 10#'s lighter than the rest. I want to put on my alaska series raft. Not sure what model I have, 7'10 or 8'10. I think the larger. Jim King recommends this motor. I talked to him at the boat show again yesterday and pointed me this way. His boats need a long shaft and rules out suzuki which was 30#'s also but is only a shorty and needs flushed. But was $150 cheaper. Money is not the issue.

Only bad thing I have heard about the honda is that it is kinda loud. So that is why I am wondering if anyone has one or been around one. Just having to rinse it sounds better than having to fire up one of the other 3 brands and flush the darn thing.

Have any of you seen a aftermarket part that will fit one of the other water cooled motors to make a quick connect flush system, kinda like the yamahas and I guess now a lot of other brands have caught on, but not with the smaller motors.

Just trying to figure what would be the better motor. Will just be using in spring and fall to tender to shore and chase blackies with.

Default Honda 2 hp

I own a Honda 2 hp and a 5 hp. The air cooled 2 is about the same noise level at trolling speed as any small 2 stroke water cooled motor, at top speed you might get slightly more noise. I think it would take an electronic noise meter to tell the difference. It is a great motor for canoes and small boats, very economical.

Default Got one

We use our 2 HP honda on the back of a 8 1/2 zodiac to run around during spring bear season. Works excellent and I don't think I've ever ran it wide open, so noise hasn't been an issue. Buy it, you'll like it.
    BK

Default will it push

2 or 3 guys at max? Most likely will row to shore with 3 guys. But if I take my medium size and another guy to go look for bears I would use the motor. rowing get old especially in a light breeze.

what shaft size do you guys have? Is wide open just wasting fuel on raft? I also like the fact that you don't have to shift it like the other water cooled motors. Thanks for the input so far.

Default No problem w/power

In the past we rowed everywhere and sometimes it would be a 1/4 mile paddle to shore so as not to spook the bears w/the big boat. This little 2 HP makes life alot nicer, just putt in w/a couple people and your not all sweaty by the time you hit land.
    I don't use it to cruise very far and it works wonderfully w/2 people and 2 large dogs (70 and 120lbs ea.). We don't ever try to get it on step or get in a hurry, just crack the throttle to move us along to shore or back.
    They are really nice, simple, and economical motors.
    I'm currently at work so I do not have access to look at the motor regarding shaft size. Mine is a 2006 model though.
    BK

Default Good Motor

This is a wonderfull little motor. The shaft size you want for the Alaska Series is the long shaft. Noise is not a problem.

Unless you have a tender built for it and carry it right side up with a davit to put the tender in the water, you won't store the tender on your boat with the motor on it. You will have to put the motor on the tender after you get it in the water. Then you will appreciate the wt of the Honda 2 horse compared to others.

The only issue I have heard of is having the power to push a loaded raft against a very strong wind, but, I have not experienced this. But this motor is perfect for 99 percent of the uses you would have for it with any of the three Alaska Series Tenders. I have the 270 with a honda 2hp.
    What-a-Day
    27' x 9.5' Glacier Craft - Volvo 300hp D4 Diesel
    Remember: Any fool can be uncomfortable.
    Denny

Default Who In Anchorage or Vacinity Sells Honda Engines

I am pretty sure if I get one this is the choice. Not looking to "Hot Rod" around on the water with, just put around ease the rowing duty. Jim said the tenders don't really plane any how and that is why he recommend the 2 instead of a heavy 5. Ak Mining and Diving has them just wondering if there is another place or two that might be cheaper than $ 825. Thanks for the info and it helped me make up my mind. Now if it was April already we would all be set.

Default 2 HP Honda Noise

I've had several small dinghy outboards over the years and have a 2 HP Honda now and bought it for the light weight and Honda reputation. It runs OK, is very light weight and doesn't need flushing but sure is a loud little sucker. I don't know what the others are comparing to, but run one first before you buy it to be sure you can put up with the loud buzz at power levels you'll need to push an inflatable loaded with people or gear.

I have a yamaha F4. I bought it because I thought it would be quieter than the two stroke. NOPE! I believe that all the single cylinder 4 strokes have about the same noise levels as comparable two strokes. They just chug along. If I were to do it again, I would go two stroke. They are peppier and they are much easier to store. This has been my experience.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Thanks for the honesty.

I will do more research, shopping around, and see what else I can find. The suzuki would be nice but not offered in a long shaft. Nobody had any 2 strokes on display at the boat show. Still waying the pros and cons of the honda. Shopping sucks. But if I do my part I will get the right motor and will be happy with my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I have a yamaha F4. I bought it because I thought it would be quieter than the two stroke. NOPE! I believe that all the single cylinder 4 strokes have about the same noise levels as comparable two strokes. They just chug along. If I were to do it again, I would go two stroke. They are peppier and they are much easier to store. This has been my experience.
    Too true...I thought the 3.5 Tohatsu would be pretty darn quite compared to my older 4 horse 2-stroke Yamaha....was very wrong and lost some power. It moves alot of weight well but the noise trade-off is not worth the loss of power and added weight.

This is an interesting thread. I need a small skifft and motor for my "get to shore" raft that will fit somewhere on my new 25 1/2' Stabicraft, I'll be down at the boat show tomorrow, so I'll take a look at all the suggestions here. Thanks.....keep them coming.

For quiet, you should go with a 2 cylinder 4-stroke. The twin cylinders are almost silent at idle.
    However, the smallest one I have seen is the Yamaha 6 Hp which weighs about 80 lbs. I have just about herniated myself more times than I can count lifting this thing on and off the boat.

You just can't win.

Default break in period

Just wondering if you guys broke your motors in? Only thing I could think of why they are so loud. From what I have read all the reviews say the hondas are quite. Seems like they are feeding a line of bs from what I have heard and read here. I think I have decided on the honda just for the easy maintenance and my raft is not built for speed anyhow. Got a list of 5 dealers in state and will start calling around tomorrow. Will do a road to trip to homer if need be. Still gonna check and see if AMD will start one up for me, or wherever else I might go. Still just trying to figure out if i want to let go of $825 for less excersize on the water. Then I start thinking about rowing across a bay with a slight wind and kinda think it will be way worth it. Decisions Decisions.

Default Loud

What makes these little motors so loud is they are air cooled. They do not exhaust out the into the water as larger engines do, but you don't have to flush them either. I have a Honda 150 and we can talk at normal levels at WOT.

Steve

Default Loud??

Cripes, they are not that loud! They will push your little 240 Alaska Series tender around just fine and you don't have to run them wide open. And, the long shaft is only 28lbs!!!! If you want to horse around 50 to 60 lbs while trying to get in to and out of a raft and a boat, go ahead.

PM me, you can come out and we can run mine if you want.
    What-a-Day
    27' x 9.5' Glacier Craft - Volvo 300hp D4 Diesel
    Remember: Any fool can be uncomfortable.
    Denny

Default I think I read on hondas site

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    What makes these little motors so loud is they are air cooled. They do not exhaust out the into the water as larger engines do, but you don't have to flush them either. I have a Honda 150 and we can talk at normal levels at WOT.

Steve
    that they do exhaust under water. I better double check. Won't really matter I guess. I looked at so many models I just can't remember now. Gonna start making phone calls here soon and see the lowest price I can find.

I use the 2hp Honda as well and it does fine for going to and from the beach. If you want to use it for scootin' around, you'll obviously want something different.

If you want something stealthy for bear hunting, I saw a guide using an electric trolling motor once... pretty slick.

Default Thanks for the help

I bought the honda 2hp today at the boat show. AMD had the best price in state. Although Homer All Seasons Honda said he would match anybody's price.

I also have the 270TDS. So bought the long shaft with centrifugal clutch. After a lot of thought, looking and reading I decided on the honda. dtol and bkmail helped convince me. So just saying thanks for all honest info.

Default Air cooled motor

The Honda 2hp is an air cooled powerhead but it has a
    waterpump to cool the exhaust housing. They are overall
    a dependable easy to run motor. And no fuel mixing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast