Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jet Ranger

Default Jet Ranger

Hello ,
    New here, really like this forum!
    Can anyone chime in on the Jet Ranger?
    Pretty sure I need One, Been running a Roughneck with a Etec 65 jet last two years,but cant fly it out to remote areas.Already have a 20 jet Merc
    so motor wise I think I am good to go. Just looking for someone to give me input on inflatable and help push me over the edge.

Default Alaska Series Jet Ranger Inflatable Jet boat

Can any one give Jess some feed back on their Alaskan Jet Ranger Inflatable Jet boat?
    I think he'd like to hear from some of the people that own them and have been useing this boat.

Good Boating

Jim King
    Alaska Series Inflatable Boats,
    Commercial quality at Wholesale prices
    River Rafts, Catarafts, Inflatable Kayaks, Inflatable Canoes, Inflatable Sport Boats, Inflatable Jet Boats, Tenders and Dinghies.
    WWW.alaskaseries.com
    (907)248-2900
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Good boats

I have a friend that just ordered one because he was out w/another buddy this summer and was impressed. His goal is to run up Clear creek and some other Talkeetna drainages. Not firsthand experince, but he's a guide and liked the boat for what it's worth.
    BK

Default Jet Ranger

The Jet Ranger is a nice packable-flyin setup that will haul a small 2 man camp. Mine ran in very skinny water, I did not have a chance to really see what it could do last year. Look forward to using it hard this year. Jim is a great guy and stands behind his products. I can tell you first hand that he goes above and beyond. I'm happy with mine. Here is a few pics. Mine has the HD oar lock, I would get this upgrade as well. I use my white water oars and I added a cargo net.

Steve

Well alrighty then, just need a nod from the Mrs.
    Than we can get the ball rolling.
    Thanks a bunch for the info guys. This looks fun!
    JessMan

Default The Boat

I think that you should just buy the boat. We both know that she only has one good arm to hit you with. And by the time she can hit you with two arms she will have realized that it was a good buy. Also I want to use it too.

Eric.

Allright 300SAUM, although you are kinda hard on stuff, 80% sure to get one. Mrs one good arm is still frightening enough to warrant a go ahead.
    Should know something tonight.

Default another vote for jet rangers

I'm looking forward to the third season with my jet ranger. For two big guys it is perfect. Will run "drag the bottom shallow" and cruise up the Talkeetna main stem with no problem.

Got one ordered today, get it on the first of May!
    Will post some pictures and let yall know when I get to run it thru the wringer a few times!
    JessMan

Default Welcome, JET PILOT

Welcome, new Jet Ranger Pilot,

I plan on taking mine up the Talkeetna this summer. Maybe I will see ya there.

Steve

Default Your in

Way to go. I can't wait till you get, it I hope I'm home when you get it. Look at it this way you will save gas money this way the big boat will stay at home. You can grab the trailer any time you want, you know where it is. I will talk to you later, you will be missed at the REMF dinner.

Default mercury 25 jet performance on a jet ranger?

so... the big question.

How much will a mercury efi 25 4-stroke jet push with this boat? One person and some gear / two people / or can you get 3 guys upstream on a day trip?

Doesn't need to be fast, and passengers can walk around rapids.
    Live the life you love. Love the life you live

I have extensive experience in jet rangers FM. Pm me if you want to know more.

Nick, are you running a 20hp merc. I have a 20 Mariner and Nissan and going to sell one of them, think the Mariner/Merc is bett?
    Thanks

Default One of the first Alaska Series 401AJR Inflatable Jet Boats

Quote Originally Posted by brackman47 View Post
    I have extensive experience in jet rangers FM. Pm me if you want to know more.
    With the Forum pen names it's hard to know for sure, but I think Brackman has one of the very first production Alaskan Jet Rangers I built. He has told me lots of great stories and experiences he's had with his inflatable jet boat. His feed back would be quite enlighting for all of us.

I think one of his best adventures was when he combined his cataraft tubes with his Jet Ranger for a moose hunt.

Maybe he could tell us more.

Jim King
    Alaska Series Inflatable Boats,
    The Toughest Bottoms in the Business,
    River Rafts, Catarafts, Inflatable Kayaks,
    Inflatable Canoes, Inflatable Sport Boats,
    Inflatable Jet Boats, Tenders and Dinghies.
    WWW.alaskaseries.com
    (907)248-2900

Today's blast from the past! I had my 401 AJR out for the first time to finger lake this Sat and ran into Alaskalouie on his maiden voyage in his 430 AJR. Both of us are still getting them tuned in and I would love to hear any more stories or setup advice.

Thanks!

Thanks Dave for the info on the the lake. I have a motor new I bought from AFA motors in Florida, dont be scared he was great!
    113# 2 stroke Mercury 25HP, Tohatsu power head means AE jet, bought it from Ray Roth in willow at Eagle Quest Lodge.
    Motors are in Ontario, ship to seattle 200ish on to Anchorage 100ish.
    Off to Brooks Range with new boat. Good Luck
    Louie

I currently own TWO Jet Rangers. They are the ultimate hunting machine IMO. Not only can you power up shallow water and rapids, then you can shut down the motor, deploy oars and let the quiet float hunt begin. A friend of mine and myself both have them and I KNOW we're going places no one else is. This spring we hit rivers on the West side of Cook Inlet I wouldn't have dreamed of in a different boat. I think the big difference is that being an inflatable it can handle bigger rapids than a flat bottom boat with a jet. In super shallow water the back of the floor actually lifts up and makes a pillow of water for the motor to intake. If the water is murky and you feel that floor coming up it's an eery feeling, knowing there's about 1 1/2 to 2" of water under you. I just took mine up the Skilak River to the Glacier last week.

My 2008 430AJR is for sale and available for this hunting season, check Craigslist. You WILL go places you couldn't before.

Here's a short video from last week.
    http://youtu.be/CEso-DM45fk

Sounds like the boat launch on the sag will be full of Jet Rangers this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveintheburbs View Post
    Today's blast from the past! I had my 401 AJR out for the first time to finger lake this Sat and ran into Alaskalouie on his maiden voyage in his 430 AJR. Both of us are still getting them tuned in and I would love to hear any more stories or setup advice.

Thanks!
    Try mounting your motor sitting directly on the top of your transom, but then start lifting it higher in increments. Run the Jet Ranger until you get the motor as high as you can without the motor cavitating. When we run my friends 4-stroke in super shallow water we adjust his motor as high up the transom as it will mount. When we know we'll be in a little deeper water we let it set directly on the top of the transom. (less cavitation). His 4-stoke is a bear at somewhere around 186lbs. REAL tuff for one guy to adjust it.

Max, the Alaska Series dealer in Sterling likes to try different transom angles, even mounting the two top transom mounting flanges to the front side of the transom plate while leaving all the other mounts in their normal position. He tries lots of different motors and is worth talking with, if you have the chance. He makes different transoms too at varying heights all to get the "perfect" combination

Quote Originally Posted by Daveintheburbs View Post

Thanks!
    A few more things:

Last year on the Ivishak we were running my friends BRAND new Mercury 25hp 4-stroke. If the water level is ANYTHING like last year you won't make every skinny place. He would hit bottom, bump the motor up and lose suction, then the current would take over dragging the jet unit over boulder and gravel playing hell on the gate hardware. Things were getting bent and broken. I'm talking the roller and stainless plate that you use to shift from forward to neutral to reverse. He has now completely removed his gate and the associated hardware, leaving his Jet Ranger always in forward. If you don't remove it, at least have the tools with you to remove it on the river. I can be a real problem, when you can't shift or it shifts on its own out of forward and throws everyone forward.

Next 430AJR issue. Those black carry handles on the back sides of the boat. Load the boat down and those handles catch water on the leading edge, SPRAYING the operator with water at every riffle. My friend used a hacksaw on his 2011 model to remove his handles. My 2012 did the exact same thing, I've removed mine using the heat of a blow dryer. Major issue when you're running thru the snow like we were last year.

Neither of us have found a good way to make the oars available QUICKLY without some hangup or water splash. Love to hear if someone has found a fix. The oar hold downs are too weak and allow the paddles to sit too low and splash water.

That's about all I've got for now. I'd really appreciate any other ideas!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast